Thinkpad 8 no longer on website...

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by Daylove, Jun 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gcoupe

gcoupe Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

What makes the withdrawal of the TP8 from the US market even more strange is that the latest version of the PSREF for Western Europe has introduced four new models of the TP8... There is now a grand total of 28 different variants of the TP8 supposedly available here. Go figure.

2. Sweetpea8472

Sweetpea8472 Scribbler - Standard Member

Never even saw one here actually on sale...

3. markj

markj Pen Pal - Newbie

Hmmm, I'm sure it's been removed bacause Lenovo are about to launch the TP Tab 8.1 which is just like the "old" one but also features >4h battery life, "real" USB3 connectivity with support for charging and using the port at the same time, Wacom enabled with pen you can store in the tablet, and possibly 100g lighter too...

Yah, think that must be it...

4. HoHoHo

HoHoHo Pen Pal - Newbie

Here in Germany the TP8 is available in all configurations, but I decided not buying it. With a ditigizer and full USB usage / charging capability I'd have bought it. Now I'm going to get a TP10 at first, and maybe a TP8 at least with a digitizer...

5. ibmthink

ibmthink Scribbler - Standard Member

6. ibmthink

ibmthink Scribbler - Standard Member

7. soh5

soh5 Wait and Hope (Bronsky et al.) Senior Member

If it had a digitizer it would have been a different story. Not to mention bring the price down. Damn what a missed opportunity Lenovo.

8. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

What part about Windows is hard to use on an 8.4" TabletPC? Maybe without a pen that is the case but my 8.0" V8P is perfectly usable...news people interjecting opinion into the article as usual. The guy probably is a Mac user and has not even seen a photo of Windows on an 8" screen.

It was the lack of digitizer that killed it. Look at the Dell V8P response and tell me there is no market....I think it has the all time highest thread rating and that thread is full of first time members. That could have been the Thinkpad 8 if it had a digitizer AND a $300 price tag instead of none and $600....but what do I know, I don't use a high-falutent Mac to write my posts....

9. Sweetpea8472

Sweetpea8472 Scribbler - Standard Member

The $600 version probably has the full Windows 8.1 Pro on it. Lenovo should have a) added a digitizer, and b) also advertised with a Windows 8.1 version, for somewhere between $300 and $400. (the price could have been higher than the Asus and Dell due to the higher screen resolution. if it had had a pen...)

10. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

I love how Lenovo blames the US market for the failure of its 8" tablet. Lenovo gives up on small Windows tablets in the US. Yes ... it's Americans' fat fingers, not your lack of a pen.

I don't think that Lenovo is reading the US market very well these days. I expect T10 sales to be anemic as well. The S3 competes quite well with the T10 and it's a more attractive device IMO. Shame about the TP8. With a pen, I might have gone for one.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2014