ThinkPad 8 64GB/2GB for $200(ish) - still a good buy?

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by kylera, Jan 10, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kylera

kylera Pen Pal - Newbie

To my understanding, this particular model has been discontinued for some amount of time, but I have seen a few online stores in Korea selling the 64GB storage version of the ThinkPad 8 at roughly $200 after conversion. It also comes with a permanent Office 2013 license.

Despite having an older CPU, is it still a good buy at $200? My uses will be quite limited to dealing with ActiveX contents and reading documents created by a Korean MS Word competitor.

I know there are newer, cheaper tablets from Chinese manufacturers, but Lenovo has after-sales service in Korea, unlike the Chinese makers. Hence, this model.

2. FZelle

FZelle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

3. kylera

kylera Pen Pal - Newbie

I looked around, and it's definitely available here, but for almost double the price. Granted, it's still a discount from when it was first released, but because my primary use is IE + ActiveX, I went with the cheaper model.

Even so, if I want to keep updates in mind, should I reconsider and go with the 4GB model instead?

Correction, the 4GB model is NOT available in Korea anymore; there's the initial model with the z3770, but with 128GB storage instead of 64.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2016
  4. FZelle

FZelle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I personally would only consider the 4GB model as it might be able to handle some sw development, otherwise I would go for a dualboot 8" X5 8300/8500 model.
    But that's me.
    What about the XiaoMi Mi Pad 2

Just keep in mind, the cherry trail get's alot hotter

Last edited: Jan 11, 2016
  5. swanlee

swanlee Scribbler - Standard Member

Does the 4GB model even exist? I have only seen one on ebay once but since I have never seen a 4GB model for sale anywhere

6. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Last edited: Jan 20, 2016
    RicFoster likes this.
  7. RicFoster

RicFoster Pen Pal - Newbie

Swanlee, not sure if you've seen it but ive just put a posting on the thread Bronsky linked to with details of where ive just been able to obtain a TP8 - If you're still interested.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.