Thinkpad 10 USB Port has no power

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by Fadil Rosli, Apr 13, 2018.

1. Fadil Rosli

Fadil Rosli Pen Pal - Newbie

Recently I've bought a used thinkpad 10 and later I discovered that the USB port does not work even with normal thumb drive. I discovered that the port has no power at all. Until I connect it to a powered USB hub only then it able to detect USB device. Is anyone here ever encountered this kind of problem?
    My thinkpad 10 is the 1st generation 2 GB RAM & 64 GB HDD windows 8.1. It has fingerprint reader and 4g card.

2. jjsa1985

jjsa1985 Scribbler - Standard Member

I've had 2 1st gen thinkpad 10s, though without 4g or fingerprint scanner, and, if I remember correctly, although the USB port didn't power an external HDD, it was able to power thumb drives without any problems. Have you tried a wireless keyboard/mouse dongle? It sounds to me like it may be defective. Sort to say.

3. Fadil Rosli

Not even usb keyboard/mouse is working without powered usb hub. What could be the problem? Is it the dc-in/usb board or the motherboard it self? I have restored it back to factory multiple times but no luck so far.

4. jjsa1985

jjsa1985 Scribbler - Standard Member

I can't tell you what's wrong with it. I'm not an engineer. Sorry. Just thought I would let you know that that is not normal. There are devices that can't power USB or HDMI ports fully but they should still be able to power thumb drives or wireless mice/keyboards. If it can't do that without an external powered hub it's defective.

5. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Could be a number of problems. It doesn't sound like a software issue.

The power and data pins on the usb are typically separate so it is very common to loose power and yet have normal data transfer.

6. Starlight5

Starlight5 So what if I'm crazy? The best people are.

@Fadil Rosli try to clean the port thoroughly before jumping to conclusions - while the device is powered off completely, ofc.

Likely a motherboard issue. Could be the port itself if you're very lucky; hard/impossible to fix otherwise.

7. Fadil Rosli

I have opened the back cover and found no loose cable/connector especially the dc-in/usb board. Everything was intact and clean. Nevertheless I have bought myself an upgrade motherboard with 4gb ram. Hopefully it will solve the usb problem.

8. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

You can check the pins on the usb port for power with a multimeter.