Thinking of getting the C314

Discussion in 'Acer (Gateway)' started by MRL, Aug 26, 2005.

1. 240sxer

240sxer Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi All.

Let me start off by saying that I work for Dell, and very true to Dell, however, if I have to SEE or hear the word "DELL" anymore, I will SERIOUSLY cry.

I need a change. Not that Dell is not good, I just need to CHANGE..

Anyways, with all that being said.. After months of shopping, I decided to forget about the Inspiron6000 and go for the Table C314. Simply because I don't want a Dell anymore and I want to give this whole Tablet thing a try.

A few questions:

1) I hear that the screen "wobbles" a bit when it's in the form of a laptop. Is this true for the C314?

2) How does the screen seem compaired to those Awesome bright, glossy Toshiba displays?

3) I'm worried as to how you can write on a screen and manage to not scratch it. How does Acer address this?

4) Does anyone have any more pics of the Tablet PC? I saw the ones on the review, but I need MORE MORE MOREE!

5) Tied with the question above, I'm in Ottawa, Canada.. Where can I SEE this laptop before buying it? I searched everywhere, even asked Acer, to no avail.

6) How does the Windows Tablet Edition compaire to Windows XP Pro? Is it built on the same system with a few extra features, or are some basic features from XP Pro missing?

Thanks alot! I'm very excited about hearing all the good things about this little monster..

2. Barry J. Doyle

Barry J. Doyle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

1) I hear that the screen "wobbles" a bit when it's in the form of a laptop. Is this true for the C314?

A: Maybe in an earthquake. The C314 hinge is the most solid I have seen on any convertible tablet I've seen.

2) How does the screen seem compaired to those Awesome bright, glossy Toshiba displays?

A: A tablet screen is certainly not like the brightview-esque technologies found on many notebooks. BUT, You can write on a tablet screen!

3) I'm worried as to how you can write on a screen and manage to not scratch it. How does Acer address this?

A: Get a screen protector (overlay), no worries.

4) Does anyone have any more pics of the Tablet PC? I saw the ones on the review, but I need MORE MORE MOREE!

A: See our C314 "First Look": http://www.tabletpcreview.com/default.asp?newsID=271

5) Tied with the question above, I'm in Ottawa, Canada.. Where can I SEE this laptop before buying it? I searched everywhere, even asked Acer, to no avail.

A: This may not be a possibility.

6) How does the Windows Tablet Edition compaire to Windows XP Pro? Is it built on the same system with a few extra features, or are some basic features from XP Pro missing?

A: Windows XP Tablet PC Edition is Windows XP Pro + extra features.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  3. 240sxer

240sxer Pen Pal - Newbie

Merci! :)

I will hopefully be putting in my order next week :) Wait for my review..

4. CHADS

CHADS Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi,

I too was planning to get one. There are a few things that are holding me back,
    1. The review on microphone,
    2. somewhere I had heard of "sticky keys" issue and
    3. Does this come pre-installed with Microsoft works suite?

Appreciate if someone could answer the above, it would make my decision making process a lot easier.

Thanks,
    Chads

5. lovellpcl

lovellpcl Pen Pal - Newbie

I got the Acer just to get a change from traditional laptops, and thus far, I've been very happy with it. Regarding some of the questions in previous posts in this thread:

My screen doesn't seem to wobble in laptop mode more than any other tablet PC I've seen. I agree with Barry that it's probably the most solid feeling hinge I've used (but I haven't used very many).

I've never seen the Toshiba ultrabrite screens...but I imagine it's like the one on my Alienware--the screen on the Acer definitely isn't as nice, but I have no complaints about the Acer screen either.

I've never experienced any sticky keys.

My Acer did not have Microsoft Works pre-installed (at least I haven't seen it yet).

6. Barry J. Doyle

Barry J. Doyle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

It really is a solid hinge. Brian actually theorized that is made from rare "baby seal bones" (on the inside). I know he may need some professional counseling for thinking that way, but Acer must have a secret to engineering such a fine hinge!

7. CHADS

CHADS Pen Pal - Newbie

lovellpc,

Thanks for your reply. I'm probably going to order mine by next week, I looking at the prices (pricegrabber.com) zipzoomfly.com seems to have the best deal. But I truly don't know how good a retailer they are!

Would appreciate if you could tell me from where did you obtain your 314xmi and how was experience with them...

8. lovellpcl

lovellpcl Pen Pal - Newbie

I ordered mine through PC Mall. I use them because they are the vendor I use at my work (we remanufacture Apple iBooks into speech generating devices)...and so I have a working relationship with my rep. I wasn't sure I'd like the Acer sight unseen, but I knew I could return the device (with a smaller than usual re-stocking fee) without any questions or hassle.

The device retails for $1989.99 on PC Mall's website, but my rep hooked me up at $1846.00 (which is still more than ZipZoom's $1839.00). After tax ($161.53), shipping ($35.29 for 2nd Day) and the CA Recycling fee ($8.00), my total was $2,050.82.

The 3-year total protection warranty for the Acer is cheaper through PC Mall than directly from Acer ($219.99 versus $280.00), which I also bought a few days later. I don't know how much the warranty is on other sites.

If for some reason you'd like to go trhough PC Mall, you can call my rep and see what he can do for you:

Scott Goldner
    (800) 555-6255 x4275

You should mention me: Lovell (la-VELL) from Lingraphicare. Just tell him I told you how much I paid, and you'd like the same deal or better if possible. He'll do his best. I know he couldn't price match ZipZoomFly for me. But he's on commission, so he won't want to lose the sale if possible.

Happy hunting for your Acer! :)

9. CHADS

CHADS Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for sharing :) :)

I will call up Scott next week, unless of course I go the zipzoomfly way.

10. MRL

MRL Forum Moderator

When I bought my C314 from ZipZoomFly it was $1829 delivered. I see that the price has jumped to $1839! Boy did I get a good deal. If I had known that the price was going up, I would have purchased their entire inventory at $1829 and tried to corner the market on C314s. Nuts! If only I had any inkling of the price increase.
    Oh well, my C314 has replaced my Dell desktop as my primary machine. It is an incredible machine - the most bang-for-the-buck you will find anywhere.

I purchased the additional 2 year basic warranty direct from Acer at $124. I should have looked around for better deals on the full coverage warranty - direct from Acer at $280. I wonder if it is too late to upgrade the warranty. Anyone ever do this?

P.S. Put a write shield on the C314. Do not let it go unprotected! Sleep better at night knowing your baby is protected!