Thinking of a tablet as a gift for my mom

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by Menasor2, Nov 2, 2012.

1. Menasor2

Menasor2 Pen Pal - Newbie

1. What is your budget?
    It's a gift but I don't want to break the bank I would say max $500 dollars US

2. Would you consider purchasing used/refurbished?
    no not for this gift

3. Do you prefer a media/mobile tablet like the iPad, Windows tablet PC, or notebook convertible?
    i dont have a preference because I've never had one and dont have any experience in this at all

4. What size Tablet PC would you prefer?

10 to 13-inches
    Above 13-inches

Either those 2 because my mom will be using it mainly to just watch movies or check her email

5. Which country do you intent to purchase from [where do you live]?

US

6. Do you have any preferences to brand loyalty or dislikes?
    nope

7. How many hours battery life do you require?
    the longer the better, but my mom won't take it out of the house I don't think but maybe

8. What will be the primary usage scenario of this tablet? (Email/Web Surfing/Drawing/Word Processing/Entertainment/Notetaking etc)
    email, web surfing, entertainment

9. Do you have an OS preference? For example, do you own an iPhone and a Mac, or are you a Windows fan? Do you own an Android device and use Google services frequently?
    no preference my mom is still using windows xp so its going to be a change no matter what she uses

10. What software and tasks do you intend to run? (Microsoft Office or other Word Processing Suite/Photoshop/3D Studio Max/Autocad etc)
    microsoft office

11. Do you intend on playing Games? If so please list.
    i dont think she will play any intense games on a tablet

12. Would you like to stream content through your home theater system?
    if possible yes

Screen Specifics

1. Any preference on screen resolution?
    not sure just need a nice one for my mom this is going to be a gift and i dont have any info on tablets

2. Will you be using the tablet outdoors? Do you need to be able to see it through glare from the sun?
    she will probably be using it inside the majority if not primarily

3. Do you require a pen? With or without pressure sensitivity? Do you prefer Wacom or N-trig?
    dont know

Component Specifics

1. What size Hard Drive and Memory do you require? Would you like expandable memory?
    a big enough hd so she can store some of her music and movies

2. What sort of inputs do you require, if any? Would you like full-sized USB and SD card slots? Are microUSB and microSD ok? Do you require HDMI inputs?
    not sure

Misc
    1. Other non specific items ~ please add other items you require not covered above?

2. Additional requests ~ anything other you wish to take into consideration?

I guess the only thing to take into consideration is I'm just looking for any help because I no background or experience with tablets. I do frequent the laptop forums and where I got my gaming laptop. I want to get my mom a tablet as a gift because she has done so much since my dad passed away and she's always alone and I see her sitting on the couch watching some tv shows or movies on an old laptop my sister gave her its an HP probably 5 or 6 years old. I figure a nice tablet would be good because it would be more interactive because I've seen her struggle with using the touch pad on the laptop. I'd like a nice screen or resolution because she wants alot of shows and listens to music on there or streams it. Any advice you can give or help me out would be great. I'm looking to buy it soon I dont know if I want to wait til xmas to give it to her or just give it out of the blue because she deserves it.Also let me know if you think a new laptop would be better in your opinion.

2. Mhotep

Mhotep Scribbler - Standard Member

Microsoft Surface RT. will need to spend a little more for the type cover

3. Ed Hardy

Ed Hardy Editor, TabletPCReview Staff Member

I think an iPad would be a nice option. The long battery life makes it a nice option for using on the couch, the screen looks great, and it's very simple to use. Its ideal for someone who just wants the Web and email.

Obviously, not the iPad mini, you're looking for the full-size version. You might consider the iPad 2 -- it's cheaper but the screen has a lower resolution. You could consider using the extra money to get an external keyboard if she doesn't like the on-screen one.

4. Menasor2

Thanks guy I'll look into those

5. jnjroach

jnjroach Surface MVP Super Moderator

Ed - You suggest the iPad but one of the requirements the OP stated was running Microsoft Office...which will not run on the iPad.

I would second the Surface RT with the Type Cover, you can go with the Touch Cover if your mom is willing to adjust to the typing experience. The Windows RT devices include Office RT 2013 Home and Student which includes Word, Excel and PowerPoint.

6. Menasor2

I like the way the Microsoft Surface RT is but its a bit over budget, which I don't mind just want to get any other opinions on a solid tablet to buy her.

7. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

The Surface RT seems like the best fit if you're willing to be a bit flexible with the budget. I think going with a tablet over an inexpensive laptop is a good idea for two reasons:

(1) you can get a LOT better-quality screens in an inexpensive tablet than an inexpensive laptop, and that's something even the most tech-unsaavy person can appreciate at first glance, and

(2) touchscreens are a really user-friendly interface for people who aren't naturally comfortable with computers.

The iPad and the Surface RT are both very nice tablets, but I'd give the nod to the Surface for (1) MS Office included, and (2) better keyboard options (the TouchCover and TypeCover from Microsoft).

My only concern is storage space for movies. What format is she watching movies in? How much space does each take up on the device? Or does she stream them over Netflix or the like?

8. eelpout

eelpout Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm also considering a tablet for my mom; she's never really been comfortable with the mouse on her iMac. I think a touch interface would be easier for her.

I had been thinking of an iPad, my sister who has a similar comfort level with computers as my mom loves hers, but having lived with a Samsung 500t for a while I think she could handle the Modern UI just fine. I'd be worried that the Surface RT keyboard might be too small for my mom and that a Clover Trail based device like the Samsung or Asus Vivo Tab at 11.6" might be better. Plus the performance of the Clover Trails devices seems to be a bit better for the money (and one gets Windows 8 Pro too).

How do the Surface users out there feel about the keyboard, touch or type?

9. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I can't believe Ed just recommended an f'n iPad 2.... Old ass tablet with now now obsolete for a new gift? REALLY? "Need MS Office? Why you should get iPad 2 LOL!"

This site's admins have their head WAY up Apple's butt.

OP, DON'T get an iPad 2. It's probably worst scenario for your needs, which were to A) watch movies and B) some MS Office action.

If you need exact version of Office, then you need a Windows 8 slate. If you can deal with Office compatible app, then you can also get Android tablet. Either way, I strongly recommend that you get a tablet with Micro SD card slot. This way you can simply copy the movies onto the card instead of all the stupid synching business that iPads will require you to.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2012
  10. PhotoMuis

PhotoMuis Scribbler - Standard Member

Am with Shogmaster and Mitlov, I think your mom would be better off with a Surface RT than with an iPad, and it has USB so she can print her Office documents directly to a USB printer or use any USB keyboard without all the fiddling around that it requires to get an iPad to do the same things, could probably hook up a USB drive stacked with movies to it, and there is the microSD card slot to also get data on it and expand the storage available on it. All of which I sorely miss on an iPad (yes, there are ways around some of these limitations, but they are more hassle than I'd want to subject my mom to).

What does she do in Office? Like Shogmaster said above, the extent to which she needs it will determine if an Office compatible app would suffice (then Android or even an iPad would be fine), for a lot of uses (simple stuff like writing to-do lists or whatever, doing household bookkeeping etc) there are also myriads of other apps independent of Office that can do the job and can be more fun to use than Office, but if she needs to do some "real" work in it, she is better off with the "real" Office :)

For an Android device that might be an option, something like this might be worth a look:

Lenovo IdeaTab S2110 Review: Docking Done Right

Edit: P.S., for a quick rundown on what the differences are between Windows RT and Windows 8, in order to judge whether the Surface RT is adequate or if your mom would need a full Windows 8 tablet, check this out:

http://www.zdnet.com/windows-rt-vs-...e-theres-still-a-lot-of-confusion-7000006146/

Last edited: Dec 6, 2012
  11. PhotoMuis

PhotoMuis Scribbler - Standard Member

On a side note: If this is the reason for giving it to her, instead of Christmas being the occassion, I would give it to her out of the blue, then it stays purely for that reason instead of sort of being first and foremost a Christmas present that just turned out a bit bigger than usual because you wanted to spoil her. Either way she'll love it, but being a sentimental person I would prefer the "out of the blue" version if I were her. This especially holds true if huge Christmas gifts are not a tradition in your family, i.e. when everything else under the tree is bound to be "smaller", as Christmas can be a tricky time with people getting all kinds of weird hang-ups about reciprocity and siblings feeling their gifts pale in comparison, etc. etc. To avoid all that, I'd give it as a surprise, with a card or something explaining how much you appreciate all she did for you since your father passed away, and make a nice evening with the two of you together getting to know the device, installing and trying stuff she might like, etc. Then, for Christmas, you can always give her some small accessories for it, like a nice sleeve for carrying it in her handbag if she does take it anywhere, or headphones or whatever, or buy her some app she likes a lot (the big advantage of these tech toys is that they simultaneously provide lots of options for future gifts of all sizes ;)) Thus you could keep the Christmas gift around the size that is customary in your family and spoil her rotten nevertheless :)

12. drvenom

drvenom Scribbler - Standard Member

Tablets are great and fun to use. If your mom was just going to use the tablet for entertainment and reading, then I'd go for a kindle, nexus 7, or even an ipad. However, you said that your mom likes to use the office suite? If that is the case, I'm guessing that she is used to using microsoft office suite? Then you'll have to get a tablet that runs a full desktop version of windows, and I don't think you can get a new tablet that does that for $500. Hence, I would recommend that you get her a laptop.

13. jnjroach

I will reiterate that I honestly think the Surface RT would make the best tablet, granted it is a bit over if you get the keyboard cover. My family has liked them enough that we just purchased a third for my son for school and casual gaming....

14. drvenom

The version of Onenote that runs on Windows RT is horrible compared to the Onenote 2013 (full windows version). How do the other office RT apps work relative to their full windows version counterparts? If the office apps that the mom uses work well in their RT version then a windows RT tablet might indeed fit the bill. As I mentioned before, tablets are really fun to use.

15. jnjroach

What issues are you having with the RT version of OneNote? I use it everyday taking both typed and inked notes. I miss the Outlook integration but I've developed a work around for that, but it requires a full Windows 8 machine and RDP ;)

16. drvenom

All kinds of issues. The Onenote app version (not full desktop version) is laggy for me. The words start showing up a second after I've inked them. The things I ink get shifted around. I mean that app is, in my experience and a few others', really bad. The full desktop version of Onenote 2013, however, is a pleasure to use.

17. jnjroach

Ah...you are referring to the Modern UI OneNote App not the one that is shipped with Office 2013 RT Home and Student. You'll find the Modern UI App struggles on even x86 Tablets. Surface RT works great with the desktop version of OneNote...

18. drvenom

Ok now I'm confused... Disabuse me of my lack of knowledge with all these versions of office.... So windows RT can run the full version of office, including the full desktop version of Onenote 2013?

19. jnjroach

Yes Windows RT ships with Office 2013 RT Home and Student, includes Word, Excel, PowerPoint and OneNote (All desktop versions with some changes to run on ARM). Other Desktop Apps include Paint, Notepad, Explorer, PowerShell and Command Prompt, plus all of the Control Panels Applets.

20. ivan100

ivan100 Pen Pal - Newbie

Pls never pay high while you can pay much less for at tablet pc. 9.7 inch tablet is good and same size as iPad or iPad 2, and at below USD 160 is enjoy to pay. Wifi, capacitive screen (this is important feature compared with resistance screen which is for kid use and not good, not smooth touching feel). so your mom will like it and she can do everything as having a high price iPad. I would suggest android OS and check many such options at: Tablet PCs - Best Android Tablets - Tablet Computer - 365trustbuy.com

Find me more at 365trustbuy.com