Thinking about a LE1600

Discussion in 'Motion Computing' started by JessersinPajamers, Mar 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JessersinPajamers

JessersinPajamers Pen Pal - Newbie

I recently posted on the "What tablet should I buy" forms and was introduced to the Motion Computing LE1600 which is turning into my favorite from the choices, but I still have a few questions on figuring out which is best for me.

First off, how can i tell if the tablet pc comes with a wacom digitizer? :confused: I'm trying to figure out if a digitzier is something completely different that I'll have to buy along with the tablet, or if its just software that I will need to purchase?

Also I found what I'm thinking is a deal on ebay: NICE Motion Computing LE1600 Windows7 Tablet PC View Anywhere! Wacom Art Drawing | eBay

But it mentions as some of the issues on the tablet is that it has air bubbles, but says that they are "common" in LE1600s, is this true? And does it mess with the pressure sensitivity when drawing in those areas?

Any help is appreciated :) Thank you

2. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

Ok, lets see. Basically, all the 1600's are Wacom. However, on eBay you will sometimes run into the 1600TS which is a touchscreen only option. Those are generally very clear, and you want to stay away from them. Re: the air bubbles, that's b*llsh*t. I don't think that's common at all, and wouldn't buy that model.

What you will find pretty common on the 1600's is a kind of black gummy goo that sort of slowly "squishes" out of the space between the screen and the bezel. It sounds much worse than it is. Basically, on some models (I've owned a few that had this issue) you'll have a thin rim of the "goo". It doesn't get thick or drip or spread. It just sort of stays there and is about 1/16" wide or less. You can pick it off, clean it, and more seems to take its place. Is it wonderful? No, but it's not stopped me from using the 1600's a lot and still loving them. It is an issue with the model though, but for 200$ they're hard to beat for a simple art/note taking slate.

That's the basic story on them.

3. JessersinPajamers

JessersinPajamers Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for info! I thought it was too good to be true

4. Steve B

You can still easily find a Windows 7 1600 View Anywhere on eBay though. My guess for price? 250$ or so. They're there, for sure. And it's a nice computer. For art usage, its best when flipped upside down, and the buttons are on the left-- then you can program the shortcuts, use them with your left hand, and draw with your right. Very ergonomic.

5. nyb72

nyb72 Scribbler - Standard Member

There is a nice list of tablets with wacom digitizers here:
    Wacom Components : Partners & Integrated Products

The list is not up to date, but its a nice reference to look at when you're shopping for used tablets.

I think Motion Tablets are great for artwork. Not to add to your decision making process, but have you looked at the LE1700 as well? If I were to do artwork again, I think I would go that route just because of the screen resolution. My biggest complaint about the LE1700 is that it has terrible battery life at 1 to 2 hours, but that doesn't seem to be an issue for you according to your 'which tablet should i buy' form. There is a nice review of the LE1700 from an artist's perspective here:
    http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/motion-computing/10288-le1700-artists-review.html

6. Billy_Oneironaut

Billy_Oneironaut Pen Pal - Newbie

You got the drivers to work in Windows 7?? I couldn't get full button functionality (only one button would work for me) nor could I hook up another monitor when I installed Windows 7 Ultimate.

I really regret upgrading the OS from XP tablet and wouldn't recommend it, but if you can get full functionality in Win7 then that would be fantastic.

------------

Only downside to LE1600 is battery life, as the units are 7 years old. My tablet was only $190 & I didn't pay shipping but the battery is almost dead & can only hold a 25 minute charge (even though it will say 2 hours remaining). Batteries go for a lot on Ebay & there's no guarantee you'll get one that gives you more than 1 hour...even if the seller tests the battery it may incorrectly read 2 hours just as mine does.

There's plenty of cafes and whatnot I can plug my LE1600 in, but spring is here and I'd really love to work outside for stretches so I'm going to upgrade to an ep121 or something similar. I also found despite the view-anywhere screen it's very difficult to see the screen outside with the faintest of sunlight. The LE1600 view anywhere is best viewed in the shade or on an overcast day.

If you can get a battery with a 2hr charge it's a phenomenal tablet though. Heck, even plugged in it makes a great alternative to a pricey Cintiq.

7. chris-lawrence

chris-lawrence Pen Pal - Newbie

I have a 1600 and I think it's a great tablet -- I'd prefer faster, but honestly I've been working with 12mp images no problem.

The batteries are nearly always going to be at the end of their life, but if you can handle a little soldering, you can purchase new cells and replace the old ones ($35!).

For sketching outside I tend to use the asus ea800 -- a screen similar to e-ink -- truly a product which has so much potential -- if only it had some better software,

8. Steve B

Chris, what's the story on replacing the cells. That sounds like a very iffy thing, playing with the batteries. I can imagine the soldering not being that hard, but breaking the battery open, removing the old cells, and putting in the new ones...... I dunno. Good battery life would be wonderful, but I'm skeptical about the process. ???? Can you go into a little more detail?

9. chris-lawrence

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  10. chris-lawrence

With new batteries I'm getting 2hours 15 minutes (at least). And this is with linux! (not known for its great battery management).

I don't normally use it unplugged for so long!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.