Things to try for the touch/pen digitizer freezing issue

Discussion in 'EP121 Slate' started by heatlesssun, Feb 7, 2011.

1. heatlesssun

heatlesssun Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Sorry to see those having this problem. I too have experienced it but to a very minor extent. However I’ve not seen it in about a week (got my EP121 January 27 and I’ve been using it constantly since) which was around the time installed the Wacom Penabled Driver Driver 7.01-8 (RC) for Penabled Tablet PCs: Tablet PC - Software. So if you are experiencing this issue I do recommend you give it a shot if you’ve not already.

I and others have reported that when we did experience this problem a Ctrl-Alt-Del sequence resolved the problem. Other users have reported that rotating the screen fixes it as well and that made me wonder if video drivers might have something to do with this. At any rate it’s generally a good idea to keep video drivers updated. Thanks to Loren for pointing out the new Intel HD drivers yesterday: http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=19761&ProdId=3231&lang=eng

I’m not claiming any of this is a permanent fix; just posting my observations since it’s been a while since I’ve seen the problem and hopefully this can help some people as it seems to be the biggest complaint I’ve seen made about the EP121.

2. coldpenguin

coldpenguin Scribbler - Standard Member

Another person has claimed that the power saving setting (turn off 'let windows turn off this device to save power' in device manager) has helped them.

3. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Actually I think this works. I did it and have not experienced any touch freeze since. Used the slate all day.
    @Heat, maybe my mistake but I tried installing that penabled driver and almost went berzerk:mad: Got a "bad windows pool header or something like that report. Luckily windows did an auto system restore and I got saved:D
    For now, great experience with the slate

4. JustDavid

JustDavid ASUS EP121 Slate user

I installed this Wacom Penabled Driver Driver 7.01-8 last night, and I have NOT seen the freeze/pause/hesitation at all. I cannot definitively say that this is what fixed it because yesterday I also set the Pen and Digitizer to not turn off this device to save power. Maybe it was the combination of the three. I now also noticed that I have several more entries in Device Mangler for Human Interface Devices for Wacom stuff.

5. heatlesssun

Sorry you had issues with the Wacom driver. Doesn't make sense, a number of people have installed this driver with no problems. In fact you need it to get pressure and button support. The default pen driver on the EP121 doesn't support pen buttons.

6. CF77

CF77 Love Tablet. Senior Member

I have the same experience as nnthemperor too. I have uninstalled the driver for the moment.

7. nnthemperor

oh really? and I just bought the pen with buttons on ebay. Heat Could you walk me through on how to install this driver please? Thanks.

8. heatlesssun

It should be pretty simple. Just download it and install. To make sure that it's installed properly calibrate the pen and you should see the Wacom pen calibration utility instead of to default Windows one.

9. virtus

virtus Pen Pal - Newbie

OK, so here's a strange thing... I installed the new Wacom driver and now my eraser doesn't work in ArtRage. It draws just like the tip instead of erasing. The eraser still works as normal in Onenote.

10. nnthemperor

That was what I did previously that crashed windows, I was thinking maybe I should have saved it first and then from the device manager updated the pen driver and manually choose the location of the driver. It should replace the original driver right? Thanks.