Things to fix on a fresh Win11 install

Discussion in 'Software' started by JoeS, Nov 20, 2021.

1. JoeS

JoeS New forum: bit.ly/newTPCR Senior Member

Partly a "note-to-self", but maybe useful to others as well: Windows comes with some default settings and behaviors that are not to everyone's liking. Here's my short list of fixes so far. Disclaimer, tinkering with Windows can break stuff, so use at your own risk!

Windows 11 annoyances fixes
    - turn off Web search results on start menu with the group policy editor and regedit: step-by-step
    - disable the entire left-swipe widgets + news menu by typing winget uninstall "windows web experience pack" in an elevated cmd prompt.
    - disable Windows tips: go to settings > System > Notifications and disable 'get tips' all the way at the bottom.

For those who don't mind paying a few bucks, Start11 fixes a whole bunch of start menu and taskbar related stuff. Stardock's been around long enough that I'd trust them to not do anything shady at this point.

Bonus: fixes for Edge annoyance fixes
    - fastest solution: install Firefox form the windows store, or alternatively:
    - turn off coupons, travel tips, donations etc by going to edge://settings/privacy and toggle them off under services
    - turn off Edge tips by going to edge://flags and disabling "Show feature and workflow recommendations"
    - disable showing Bing rewards in Edge here edge://settings/profiles/rewards
    - avoid showing any bing/msn nonsense on your new tab page by adding 0.0.0.0 ntp.msn.com to your hosts file.

If you know of any others, please post here. I'll update with more if I find any as well. Together we can make Win11 palatable! :D

Last edited: Dec 4, 2021
    Eltos and dellaster like this.
  2. Eltos

Eltos Scribbler - Standard Member

These are amazing!

JoeS likes this.
  3. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I like to use a registry edit to fix some nitpicks of mine (though it's been a while so I'm not sure all of these still do anything):

Code:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Desktop\NameSpace\DelegateFolders\{F5FB2C77-0E2F-4A16-A381-3E560C68BC83}]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Desktop\NameSpace\DelegateFolders\{F5FB2C77-0E2F-4A16-A381-3E560C68BC83}]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WowAA32Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Desktop\NameSpace\DelegateFolders\{F5FB2C77-0E2F-4A16-A381-3E560C68BC83}]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Shell Extensions\Blocked]
    "{f81e9010-6ea4-11ce-a7ff-00aa003ca9f6}"=""

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Shell Extensions\Blocked]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WowAA32Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Shell Extensions\Blocked]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\OperationStatusManager]
    "EnthusiastMode"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Bluetooth]
    "Notification Area Icon"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\CrashControl]
    "CrashDumpEnabled"=dword:00000000
    The delegate folders ones delete some keys so that removable drives don't show twice. The Shell extensions one was to get rid of the share context menu, so that's probably negated by the W11 new context menu. Enthusiast Mode sets File Explorer's file transfer to be expanded to the "show more details" view. The Bluetooth one gets rid of the icon in the system tray. CrashDump enabled turns off the useless memory dumps when your PC blue screens. You can get rid of the AA32 ones if you're not running an ARM PC but all that means is that it'll try to delete keys that don't exist anyway.

I also suggest setting up a batch file for what you want installed on every PC if it's in the winget repository (a lot of things are). Such as what I used recently on one PC (and thanks to @JoeS for pointing out the web experience one):
    Code:
    winget uninstall cortana
    winget uninstall tips
    winget uninstall "your phone"
    winget uninstall "windows web experience pack"
    winget install steam
    winget install openhashtab
    winget install zwift

You can use a site like winstall.app to figure out the package names/ids. (Also, you can use the command "winget upgrade --all" when you want to update things, which is more convenient than updating these desktop apps through the Store now).

Last edited: Nov 24, 2021
    Eltos and JoeS like this.
  4. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

For what it's worth, I'm going to be upgrading the main SSD on my gaming PC based on a black friday sale, and customized my batch file for installs.

Unfortunately, EA Desktop and EVGA Precision X1 are not currently in the repository, but the following will install all my desktop programs, all of the Visual C++ runtimes, the programs I use on my gaming PC, plus a select number of store things. The store ones you can't tell from the commands below, but it's the Xbox app, Gaming Services, Xbox Accessories (to customize my Elite controller), plus DTS Sound Unbound and Dolby Access for DTS-X and Dolby Atmos, the Dolby Access Dolby Vision extensions, and then all of the codecs Microsoft offers through the Store: MPEG2, HEVC, HEIF, Raw, WebP, Web Media, AV1, and VP9. I discovered you need to manually accept the conditions every time for store apps unless you add additional commands to the batch file as well, so to make it simple I just added those for everything.

Code:
    winget install --id=Microsoft.VC++2015-2022Redist-x86  -e --accept-source-agreements --accept-package-agreements
    winget install --id=Microsoft.VC++2015-2022Redist-x64  -e --accept-source-agreements --accept-package-agreements
    winget install --id=Microsoft.VC++2013Redist-x86  -e --accept-source-agreements --accept-package-agreements
    winget install --id=Microsoft.VC++2013Redist-x64  -e --accept-source-agreements --accept-package-agreements
    winget install --id=Microsoft.VC++2005Redist-x86  -e --accept-source-agreements --accept-package-agreements
    winget install --id=Microsoft.VC++2005Redist-x64  -e --accept-source-agreements --accept-package-agreements
    winget install --id=Microsoft.VC++2008Redist-x86  -e --accept-source-agreements --accept-package-agreements
    winget install --id=Microsoft.VC++2008Redist-x64  -e --accept-source-agreements --accept-package-agreements
    winget install --id=Microsoft.VC++2010Redist-x86  -e --accept-source-agreements --accept-package-agreements
    winget install --id=Microsoft.VC++2010Redist-x64  -e --accept-source-agreements --accept-package-agreements
    winget install --id=Microsoft.VC++2012Redist-x86  -e --accept-source-agreements --accept-package-agreements
    winget install --id=Microsoft.VC++2012Redist-x64  -e --accept-source-agreements --accept-package-agreements
    winget install --id=Microsoft.VC++2013Redist-x86  -e --accept-source-agreements --accept-package-agreements
    winget install --id=Microsoft.VC++2013Redist-x64  -e --accept-source-agreements --accept-package-agreements
    winget install --id=7zip.7zip  -e --accept-source-agreements --accept-package-agreements
    winget install --id=Valve.Steam  -e --accept-source-agreements --accept-package-agreements
    winget install --id=Ubisoft.Connect  -e --accept-source-agreements --accept-package-agreements
    winget install --id=namazso.OpenHashTab  -e --accept-source-agreements --accept-package-agreements
    winget install --id=Zwift.Zwift -e --accept-source-agreements --accept-package-agreements
    winget install --id=DolphinEmulator.Dolphin  -e --accept-source-agreements --accept-package-agreements
    winget install --id=9N0866FS04W8 -e --accept-source-agreements --accept-package-agreements
    winget install --id=9PJ0NKL8MCSJ -e --accept-source-agreements --accept-package-agreements
    winget install --id=9NCTDW2W1BH8 -e --accept-source-agreements --accept-package-agreements
    winget install --id=9MVZQVXJBQ9V -e --accept-source-agreements --accept-package-agreements
    winget install --id=9N95Q1ZZPMH4 -e --accept-source-agreements --accept-package-agreements
    winget install --id=9NMZLZ57R3T7 -e --accept-source-agreements --accept-package-agreements
    winget install --id=9PMMSR1CGPWG -e --accept-source-agreements --accept-package-agreements
    winget install --id=9N4D0MSMP0PT -e --accept-source-agreements --accept-package-agreements
    winget install --id=9N5TDP8VCMHS -e --accept-source-agreements --accept-package-agreements
    winget install --id=9PG2DK419DRG -e --accept-source-agreements --accept-package-agreements
    winget install --id=9pltg1lwphlf -e --accept-source-agreements --accept-package-agreements
    winget install --id=9mv0b5hzvk9z -e --accept-source-agreements --accept-package-agreements
    winget install --id=9MWPM2CQNLHN -e --accept-source-agreements --accept-package-agreements
    winget install --id=9nblggh30xj3 -e --accept-source-agreements --accept-package-agreements
    winget uninstall cortana
    winget uninstall tips
    winget uninstall "your phone"
    winget uninstall "windows web experience pack"
    This hopefully should mean I only need to install my Nvidia drivers (GeForce Experience is in a winget package, but I've never liked using GeForce Experience), and the two programs I mentioned above. And then of course I'd have to manually copy or reinstall anything through Steam, but that's a whole other thing.

Edit: Looks like I forgot winget uninstall "get help" and for some reason the HEVC extensions wouldn't work and I had to download manually, but overall this saved me a ton of time.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2021
    JoeS likes this.