Things Microsoft needs to do to keep u in windows ecosystem?

Discussion in 'Software' started by siddhartth, May 13, 2018.

?

For your on the go notetaking, calligraphy and art, what will you buy next?

1. Next version of ipad 10.5+Pencil

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Next version of surface 12.3

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. Next version of Samsung tabS which will obviously have Spen included

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. touchart

touchart Pen Pal - Newbie

I am one of the most prolific digital inkers (been doing it since 2001). If the iOS ecosystem works for you awesome, but at least compare Apples to Apples ;)

2. siddhartth

siddhartth Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

That's exactly the type of personal experience and use case examples that makes this site useful. :):)
    Seemingly, some one from Surface team did read this discussion, and released Surface Go (Sounds much better than Surface 4, thanks, whoever came up with that). But, it is also evident that they did not read it fully, as Surface Go is just a bag of unsavoury compromises a total opposite of what iPadPro 11 represents. And since, these both are tablets with almost the same external dimensions, i think it's now a very fair comparison. The only thing that the two tablets have in common is total divorce of their processor power from their operating system. A12xbionic is stuck with iOS without mouse Support and Windows 10 has been given a Pentium to ride on.

3. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Windows RT and the machines running that version were simply underpowered and pretty poor examples of personal computing. Instead of trying something truly different and risk taking, Microsoft produced a neutered version of the main OS and this was exactly how the market saw it. The OS was weak and the architecture running it even weaker whereas Apple (sorry) made the original iPad very very good at one thing (originally) and made the user experience really simple without appearing to compromise on speed and UI to enhance that experience.

So, back to the premise of the OP - "Things Microsoft needs to do to keep u in windows ecosystem?" - If Windows in current version and future iterations continue - then make the pen and user interface much more intuitive. Force any stylus / digitiser manufacturers to use a standard which is high quality, highly accurate and cheap. I admit as a Windows user, I've become used to backwards compatibility - when I was solely an Apple user I became used to being left high and dry by Apple 2-3 times in the past first when they ditched Motorolla for PowerPC and then ditched PowerPC for Intel. This MacBook I'm using now won't be able to run whatever new OS comes along when Apple moved to its own processors but I am used to that now. It's what Apple do and we Apple users know it will happen.

I would however like to see Microsoft experiment for the future and create a new Microsoft ecosystem - not a Windows RT style system. They should not have tried to compete with Apple's iPad with underpowered RT machines but seriously,
    really tried something different. Keep Windows 10 for all those of us with legacy and compatibility requirements but try a new baby alongside but separate from Windows - throw out backwards compatibility and all the compromises made to enable older software and hardware to run and have a separate ecosystem which could be light, powerful and offer a user experience the equivalent if not better than iOS.

We're already seeing Apple think seriously about ditching Intel for its own chips - if Microsoft truly did create a new machine ecosystem in partnership with Intel or similar - who knows, one day all those people used to backwards compatibility would want the new system and make that transition.

4. siddhartth

siddhartth Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Exactly, 2 seperate platforms, Chrome and Android have worked great for Google after all. And Google has the pressure of making money off of a thing which it is giving away for free. Microsoft never had that pressure, they should have never charged OEMs any licencing fee in the first place for Windows Mobile, they tried to sell them an ecosystem that never existed. If Nadella had not made Windows 10 upgrade completely free, I am sure Microsoft woulld not have survived.

Last edited: May 18, 2019
    doobiedoobiedum likes this.