Things Microsoft needs to do to keep u in windows ecosystem?

Discussion in 'Software' started by siddhartth, May 13, 2018.

?

For your on the go notetaking, calligraphy and art, what will you buy next?

1. Next version of ipad 10.5+Pencil

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. Next version of surface 12.3

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. Next version of Samsung tabS which will obviously have Spen included

2 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. siddhartth

siddhartth Scribbler - Standard Member

Are u a stylus using consumer/professional/creative/productive/ etc etc thinking about leaving Windows ecosystem for ever or for atleast for Mobile/on the move aspect of ur workflow?

I am one such guy. If Wacom, Apple and Samsung didn't exist i would have been content with pen performance of surface line up in 2016. Even if It was too bad to replace my paper notebook but it was good enough to replace all my physical textbooks and printouts, especially with the excellent app called Drawboard, it really could. Ntrig is notbad for occasional annotations in PDFs. And that's the reason why I never returned it. It was probably an emotional purchase, i was not satisfied with Microsoft's offering but it definitely seemed like the direction Microsoft was taking pen productivity in, was largely correct. But now, i do not feel that way.

These are the development that made me disillusioned with Microsoft-
    • High IAF in Surface pen secong gen (sp4 after NTrig buy out)
    • Low polling rate for pen points per second in SP4 second gen digitizer (pen stroke sampling rate)
    • Wacom comes out of negligible paralax EMR digitizers, accurate pen displays with EMR become a reality.
    • Samsung comes out with 0.7 mm Spen in note7 with a wacom based digitizer that has a sampling rate of 360Hz, i.e, 360 points per second. And it was just a phone.
    • ipadpro comes out with a display that has a display that has 120 Hz display refresh and made lag invisible.
    • Razer makes a phone with a 120Hz display. And again it's just a phone.
    • Apple makes it's software partners (app programmers) to make use of the iPadpro's 120Hz refresh display, without comprising much on batterry and cpu performance.
    • Microsoft continues to push Tablet form for devices as large as Surfacepro even after it's clear most people will prefer lapability and versatility of Surfacebook form factor. that's the only way it can sell those expesivee typecovers which do not have any additional batteries or processing power.
    • Microsoft discontinues the student friendly (affordable) Surface 3, the only product in its line up that's the exact size that most users want (check the popularity of 10.5" ipadpro). And, the only surface product that could justify a tablet form factor and a typecover without battery or computing parts.
    • Microsoft releases more expensive versions of its type cover in Alcantara fabric.
    • Adonit makes a cheaper pen for NTrig, better than the Ntrig pen itself in terns of IAF.
    • Microsoft removes the mouse function of pen and instead makes it a navigating stick.
    • Microsoft makes pen a seperate purchase.
    • Apple releases ipad2018 which costs just a lil more than what two alcantara typecovers by Microsoft cost and the rest is history. (Infact in my country the price of two alcantara typecovers will cost you roughly as much as that of 128GB iPad2018)
    For me atleast, Microsoft can still make some course corrections before i have to abandon not just the boat called Surface, but also the waterway called Windows, entirely-
    • Improving its Ntrig tech to achieve digitizer polling rate from 60 to 360Hz. (60 for touch input, 120 Hz when in battery saving mode and 360Hz when docked with a mains power supply on the wall socket.)
    • An IAF less than 1gram like Wacom
    • If above is not possible then integrate Wacom EMR in the surface line up.
    • Force it's software partners like adobe photoshop, Lightroom and ZBrush etc to make their desktop apps to support framerate of 120Hz without hogging too many resources.
    • Introduce variable refresh rate displays from 20 to 120 Hz on its surface line up and also on its OEMs like Dell, Wacom and Samsung, which make all in one workstations and laptops powered by windows.
    • Relaunch a 10.5"/11" surface4 with pen included. Make a discounted bundle for combined Surface4 and type cover purchase. Or make the type cover free for those who preorder.
    • Instead of Surface Pro or Surface laptop release an affordable version of Surfacebook formfactor in 13" in the same price range.
    • Make the keyboard dock for all surfacebook models heavier with battery and cooling tech, so that it doesn't remain top heavy. And can be opened with one finger.
    • Restore the mouse function of pen, make navigation stick utility optional.

Last edited: May 13, 2018
  2. Zhao Su

Zhao Su Zee Ess

Aside from what you posted, I'd like to add:

- Get rid of intrusive mandatory frequent updates! I can't remember how many times in just my REGULAR laptop win10 has restarted on me (no matter how much I delay it or reschedule it) in the middle of a paint job in Photoshop. Somehow, the updates always come at inopportune times, even after disabling Update Services in the registry. It delays my work and frustrates me to no end.

That coupled with the nSP pen still being garbage, flickergate, and the existence of products like the zBook x2 has deterred me from ever wanting a future Surface product.

YVerloc and siddhartth like this.
  3. siddhartth

You can set a time for it. My surface doesnt interrupt in the day time. May be the correction of that happened at a later date after u got rid of ur surface product.

4. jnjroach

jnjroach Surface MVP Super Moderator

Comparing the iPad 2018 which is value priced device to win back schools from Chromebooks...comparing the Surface Line to that is disingenuous at best. For me the Surface Book 2 purchase made sense for me because a workstation class laptop like a MacBook Pro would run $2000+ and an iPad Pro is $1200 so for me it was a no brainer for the SB2 for what I need to do.

I ink for 10-14 hours a day on my Surface Book 2 - I am one of the most prolific digital inkers (been doing it since 2001). If the iOS ecosystem works for you awesome, but at least compare Apples to Apples ;)

And since all Surface devices ship with the Pro SKU you have the ability to control updates.

BTW - Apple is much more aggressive with updates than anyone else.

5. siddhartth

Exactly, you just proved my two observations about Microsoft are right.
    • the Surfacebook2 is the best value for mobey product by Microsoft but its on the higher side of surface lineup spectrum. Apple ipad 2018 is the cheapest yet the best value for money Apple product for pen users in the Apple hardware spectrum.
    • Surfacebook with power keyboard dock is the most desirable and functional surface formfactor for display sizes bigger than 12". The tablet form factor with typecover is only suitable for the smaller Surface (10 to 11") line that has now been discontinued.
    • 12.3" display size is uncomfortably close to Surfacebook range which is comparable for price.
    • But in countries like India only SP4 is available officially but not Surfacebook
    • Surface laptop without it's ability to lay flat, is a pure gimmick.
    • Ability to chose time for update should be available on home version of windows too.
    • The Surface3 with windows 10 home and student was the perfect machine for most users. Popularity of ipadpro is a proof of that.
    • And you are well aware that your sentiments about surface pen performance have been very different from most of the members here. ;). I guess the phrase your Mileage may vary will find its best application here.

6. jnjroach

I wouldn't call the Surface Laptop a gimmick - many people have asked for a laptop that is just a laptop. We have about 20 of the Surface Laptops deployed. The Surface Pro (4)/(2017) are our most popular devices deployed we have about 100 of them deployed.

We have about 10 Surface Books and 5 Surface Book 2's deployed.

Those that can get by with just iOS or Android are not the target audience of the Surface Devices and Microsoft loves both communities of users as their software is typically used on these devices at the same level as PCs. This is a great time for devices across the board.

7. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Maybe, maybe not. I don't know how often I have to do a hard reboot in the mornings because some upgrade has stopped in the middle of the process. When I turn it on battery is at 35 % but it was at 100 % when I went to bed. So it had bee chugging along for quite a while to consume that much battery, especially since the screen doesn't turn on.

I would say that Appel updates are on par with Windows, the difference is that I control when I want the update to run. Windows gives me no easy way to control that and it doesn't ask before installing.

siddhartth likes this.
  8. Zhao Su

Zhao Su Zee Ess

I DID reschedule my updates accordingly. They still pop up inopportunely and take way too long to finish. They are faaaar too frequent and intrusive to my workflow, oftentimes restarting on me when I least expect it, especially when I'm working in PS.

Not a Mac user, so can't comment on that, but at least in iOS, I can ignore the update to my heart's content without being irritated by a push notification to update at least until an app update forces me to update iOS in order to use its latest features. And it does NOT restart on me, unlike Windows. So my experience certainly hasn't matched your claim so far.

siddhartth likes this.
  9. jnjroach

You should be able to control it to fit into your schedule - instead of typing my own this Windows Central Article does a great job showing you the configuration options:

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-delay-windows-10-april-2018-update-while-still-getting-updates