Things I should know for a Note 10+ as first cellphone?

Discussion in 'Samsung Galaxy Note and Tab' started by WillAdams, Oct 4, 2019.

1. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Due to circumstances beyond my control, and an ultimatum from my significant other, I'm finally being forced to get a cell phone, and have settled on the Note 10+ --- observations, thoughts, suggestions?

- 5g doesn't seem worth it --- apparently it will only ever be introduced in urban areas and not nationwide due to small cell size? I'd like to future-proof this though (planning on this phone lasting me long enough that when it dies I can go back to not having one), is it not a worthwhile investment?

- suggestion for case? I'm considering the Samsung Rugged Protective Case for Galaxy Note10+/Note10+ 5G for the stand, but would really prefer something slimmer and nicer looking

- apparently a plastic screen protector is pre-installed --- worth it to upgrade to tempered glass?

- tried to get the DEX app for Windows 10, but apparently it requires Windows Insider? How well does the matching app on the Android side of things connect to Windows 10?

Any especially notable apps to get? Planning on Autodesk Sketchbook, Wacom Paper --- other suggestions?

2. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

i vouch for the tech21 cases, no need to go bulky/rugged. The abuse my butter fingers have meeted out to my poor undeserving note9. Several times it's slipped from my fingers and i've thought that's it, it's dead now...and it is completely unscathed.

My understanding is that b/c of the curved glass, short of the tempered glass protectors that are glued on and cured to the screen they all come off with impact and otherwise lift and get debris underneath. I decided to forgo gluing something to my screen and went bare. FYI unless you use a high quality glue....(not sold in the available commercial packs) the glue eventually splinters/spiderwebs and creates a mess according to the reviews I came across.

Re apps: Installed Onenote, i've never used it b/c i'm always in Samsung Notes, which is accessible from the lock screen and easily pulled up with the pen shorcuts. Go Figure.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2020
    stoneseeker and WillAdams like this.
  3. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

I took the plunge on the Note 10+ a couple days ago when my Note Edge finally gave up the ghost. It's really a beautiful phone, watching a 4K youtube video from edge to edge on it is stunning!

-I agree 5g isn't worth it right now.
    -I'm also hunting down a case that protects it but fits my rather rugged aesthetic taste, so I'm debating between wood and leather right now. I'm deciding between this one: https://www.amazon.ca/Yogurt-Samsun...eather+case+yogurt&qid=1581485477&sr=8-1&th=1 and this one: https://www.amazon.ca/kwmobile-Wood...ote+10+++wood+case&qid=1581485626&sr=8-2&th=1
    -the screen protector on it seems fine, I wouldn't worry too much about needing more as far as screen protection, though I wouldn't want to drop it on the glass.
    -I haven't tried Dex yet, (doubt I'll need it) but I'm having trouble getting the "Your phone" app to connect to Windows 10 on my PC, it gets stuck towards the end of the permissions stage and I haven't found a solution to make it work yet...

- I tried running Playstation remote on it (amazing to play Horizon Zero Dawn on a phone!), did some sketching and such. The thing is truly a beast to hold though! Small hands might find it unwieldy for sure. I just cant get enough of that dyamic AMOLED HDR yummyness.

Lilawyn likes this.
  4. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

I've always had some vision of a Note as an in-the-pocket sketchbook-- quick value or color studies that a camera can't catch, that sort of thing. Stoneseeker, do you ever use it for that? I've also thought of being able to use it for quick notes in a pinch. A second scribble space when working, that sort of thing. Anyone use it for that much? I have a tiny iphone SE that is dying, and I love how small it is. I would only upgrade to something as large as the Note if it was for real functional value.

Beyond all that, how do people feel about the curved glass? It has always seemed weird and not particularly functional for a note taking device. Is this over-stated, and doesn't really matter much? I've thought of waiting just a tiny bit longer for the Note 10 Lite to come out, with the flat screen, which I thought might actually be better than the Note 10 in that regard, besides being cheaper.

Also, has anyone tried a screen protector on the curved glass? I've wondered whether a bit of texture would be nice for pen usage. I imagine it would. My understanding is you can get alternate felt-like tips even for the baby s-pen, for more texture?

5. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Use it constantly for quick notes. I can't tell you how much information I save in the course of a day that would go in and out of my head.

DRTigerlilly and WillAdams like this.
  6. gerg

gerg Scribbler - Standard Member

It is really handy to be able to share a link directly to an existing or new note in Samsung Notes. Keeps me from having 30 tabs open in Chrome. <checks Chrome> Ok, it would if I did it consistently... :rolleyes:

WillAdams likes this.
  7. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

YES! Quick sketches and thumbnails, meeting notes, client suggestions, drawing revisions on top of screengrabs, and scribbling grocery lists on the very handy note screen without even turning it on is just a few ways I use it daily. Keeping a tally of score during a board game or disc golf, drawing beta on a picture of a boulder so I don't forget my sequence for next time I'm there... its usefulness is in many ways more than a stationary big cintiq pro, just not for large pro finished work of course.
    That said it would take a while for these things to become habit and at first it might feel like you are forcing yourself to use it. But that's true for adapting any new machine into your life for efficiency!

The curved screen is a bit annoying to hold while writing/drawing without a case. The whole thing is so slippery to hold. Most phone cases for it give you more grip and let you hold something other than touch screen so its not a big deal once your set up. And to use this expensive of a device without protection would be kinda dumb anyway. The new Lite may be worth holding out for if you wanna spend less and get all the perks of SPen! I like it being bigger as it becomes more of an on the go uber portable tablet, but I'm not a traditional cell phone user so I'm used to that.

Bronsky and WillAdams like this.