They're virtually giving product away - Thinkpad Yoga 12.5

Discussion in 'Buy, Sell, Trade and Tablet PC Deals' started by lovelaptops, Apr 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Before writing my typically over-long posts and burying key points, allow me to summarize key points!

1) There are phenomenal deals available on Haswell laptop/tablet/convertible models out there that enable you to buy something that is virtually unchanged from current Broadwell-based products for as much as 60% less than the current Broadwell model's price. Example here: Thinkpad Yoga i5 Haswell 8GB, Wacom for $575!!

2) There are close out vendors out there with excellent reputations whose integrity and accountability remove effectively 100% of risk out of buying open box, refurb, slightly used products. My favorite such vendor - but by no means the only one - Blinq.com, has the offer I've referred to above and linked below.

3) I don't know about you, but I personally prefer $500 in my pocket to the satisfaction of having the newest model, fresh off the line (and more likely to have bugs!) that comes to you in a sealed package.

Note: I have no personal relationship (other than vendor/customer) with this vendor, Blinq.com, or any other. This is just a fellow member offering what I think is a line on a source of really good deals, in cases where last year's model and tech will do the job nicely. There are even more "tricks of the trade" I note below that enable you to knock another 15%-25% the already low prices these guys offer.

Feel free to PM me if you are having problems with the vendor or a specific transaction. Below is more detail about a current offer, but I recommend bookmarking this site and checking it anytime you are in the market for a mainstream product. Cheers, Peace. Jeff

I've long had a tech buying pattern of getting the best of last generation tech in the early months of the release of products from a new current tech (eg, buy Haswell now, just as Broadwell is becoming ubiquitous in the market). This doesn't always work - sometimes new tech has a capability that you can really benefit from now - but usually you sacrifice little and save a bundle, typically 40% - 60%, as is the case in the deal I link below. It is a Thinkpad Yoga 12.5 Haswell 4200U with Wacom pen (some of these models did not have active digitizers, beware. In all the years I have been an active buyer of tech products, I have never seen such dramatic depreciation of prices and this is particularly valuable to buyers given the relatively small, incremental changes in capability in the transition from, say, Haswell to Broadwell. I dare say that if you didn't know which vintage of silicon was inside you would not perceive any difference in models which are unchanged other than an electronic upgrade.

Check out this deal for an open box/refurbished/slightly used (all conditions are for sale) from a reputable close out reseller (Blinq.com - I've purchased 10 products from them over past 5 years and experience has been excellent; I know the owner so if you were ever to have a problem, feel free to PM me and I will go to bat. NOTE: I have zero economic interest here; just like to pass on a good deal/vendor to forum buddies. :) We're talking a Haswell, active digitizer (with in-silo pen included), Core i5, 8GB, 128GB (easily upgraded to up to 512GB for a few hundred dollars), FHD Matte screen - $575 from a vendor who is accountable for problems (90 day wtty nominally, but they will routinely take, say, $150 off a product like this if you report the battery is only 97% of capacity or the screen "seems" a bit less bright than it should; not suggesting you fabricate problems, just that they will generously refund big chunks of purchase price if you are less than 100% satisfied but willing to accept the model as is.

Again, feel free to PM me if you have any questions, concerns or are having problems in the midst of a transaction with this vendor. Jeff

crashnburn and stoneseeker like this.
  2. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

The Yoga 12.5" is one of the best bargains for a serious productivity tablet-hybrid. It has a superior keyboard.

3. lovelaptops

Correct me if you disagree, but I find it hard to justify Not buying one of these at these prices if you are otherwise using or considering a TPC of this size/weight class. I don't see how the inevitable march of Moore's law will render this device obsolete - pricewise or with respect to performance - for a good many years if your use case remains typical of tableteers of current and forseeable future applications. Sometimes an offer screams "buy me!" even if you're not presently in the market. Hell, I'd love to have one (or two) just for wish fulfillment of future posters to the "What.... should I buy?" when nothing exists near $600 to compare to this product's msny virtues.

Or am I just suffering from a compulsion to buy something/anything??!!

4. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Yes to both. It is a really tempting device for the $$ and you are probably suffering from compulsion like the rest of us. I noted in the Surface thread the MS Store employees use the Yoga 12.5" to handle customer accounts.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2015
  5. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

It really is a tempting price, but the battery life has me turned off of it. :-\ But, thank you sharing.

6. NotBatman

NotBatman Pen Pal - Newbie

Yes tempting, been looking for an art-geared tablet but the performance on so many tablets is disappointing for the price. This looks like it could be a good compromise.

Kind of disappointing that the 10% coupon only takes off $20, but still a pretty good price.

7. jedah

jedah Scribbler - Standard Member

Under $600 for an i5, 8GB, and Wacom digitizer. Hmm.. I might have to seriously reconsider my obsession lately w/ the Surface 3. If only the tablet part of this package was a little bit more compelling (aka casual browsing, reading comics, etc).

kingchum likes this.
  8. lovelaptops

Well, I did buy one and, surprise, it was a Microsoft Signature model - obviously Blinq takes MS Stores 30 day returns off their hands. It is not refurbished so no one had dealt with a chronic problem with the earlier models of the Intel 7260AC wifi card. You can't really fix it with driver changes - believe me, I spent a few hours trying many of them to no avail. The good news is that the card does not cut off once connected and it has no problem returning from sleep. It does usually have trouble coming back from a cold shutdown. The inelegant solution, I've learned, is to go to Device Manager, click on the network adaptor, change one of 3 settings on the advanced tab, and it immediately restores full wifi, good until the next time you have to fully shut down the machine (not sleep), at which time you will have to repeat the three steps I describe above. Far more elegant is a simple replacement of the card with a newer vintage 7260 and, if you don't need AC speeds, you save a few bucks and have apparently even more stability with a 7260-N version card. Oh, did I mention that Blinq refunded me some money for the cost and trouble of having to replace the wifi card? The term "some money," as I used it, is misleading. PM me if you want to know how much of a refund they gave me - think, almost enough to replace the 128GB SSD with a 512GB one! :D

Oh, and, not having a Thinkpad for several years, the keyboard alone is enough to send me into raptures. The Wacom digitizer (with in-silo stylus) is as good as any I've used and 12.5" is a nice template after working with 8-10" models in recent years. Hmm...the FHD screen is bright and has good - not great - colors, though vastly improved with my new toy - Spider color calibrator - and it is MATTE! (is the etiquette breach of using caps mitigated when you put them in italics?) And it's 10 finder capacitive touch as well as full digitizer. If anyone tells you you can't have a touch screen without it being glossy, here's your example that makes the rule.

Anyone interested in a really good deal on lightly used Sony Flip 13A or Samsung Ativ Book 9 Plus (see sig for both - PM if interested. I'm really bargaining because I did so well on the TP Yoga purchase!)

9. stankanovic

stankanovic Pen Pal - Newbie

They really do have excellent deals, but there is no mention of the digitizer pen, how can i make sure the models come with one?
    Also unfortunately they only ship within the US... anyone willing to help me out by shipping one to New Zealand? or does a legit ompany exist that provide that service?

edit: Nvm, saw that they actually ship to new zealand through ebay.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2015
  10. lovelaptops

They state clearly in the detail if it has a digitizer. I've not seen one of theirs that does not, but you're right to be careful. An email to Customer Service will make it even more secure. Good luck.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.