the worst tablet out there

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Gautam, May 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. poetdante

poetdante Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

well no offense to he who likes hp, but I really don't like HP desktops. don't have too much experience with their laptops. I hear all that hp can make well are printers.

2. Daring

Daring Moderator

Gateways newest tablet has a fairly short track record so it is difficult to gauge reliability. That said, failure rates for nearly all notebook/tablet manufacturers fall in the 8-11% range. Individual models from the any manufacturer may have higher/lower failure rates.

3. poetdante

well what I did not like about it was the screen. It was too big being widescreen and felt funny. I liked the r15 because it was the size of a piece of paper.

4. putttn

putttn Pen Pal - Newbie

Hmmm. Seems to me Gateway is trying pretty hard to shorten the space between them and the other tablet manufacturers. I am new to all this tablet pc application but I was really impressed with their website and the video presentation by two of their developers. Don't see much in the way of explanation at other tablet manufacturer's web sites. Went to BestBuy to look at the Gateway and Toshiba. The Toshiba's writing screen was literally bowed or warped and didn't fit the computer. The salesman and i looked at it and compared it to the Gateway and were both amazed it could look this way. I'm sure this was abnormal but the workmanship didn't look equal to the Gateway. A couple of salepeople stopped by and we all agreed. So from what I've seen the Gateway is maybe more than initially meets the eye. Just a newbies opinion.

5. Alex

Alex Pen Pal - Newbie

Putttn - After reading your comment about Gateway's web site, I went there and I have to concur with you 100% on how impressive the tablet section of their site is. It's excellent for anyone who's interested in tablets and provides first timers a way to feel very comfortable with the idea. That web site and the ads they are doing are an example of excellent marketing in my opinion - they are definitely starting to create some buzz around the convertible tablet and seem to be ahead of the game in the marketing dept. as you stated. We'll see how that translates into sales but it would appear that all it could do is help.

Alex

6. poetdante

Gateway has been heavy on their advertising for their tablet. I saw a comercial for it on cnn for instance. anyway I wonder why other companies are not?

7. Daring

Daring Moderator

I agree making the market aware could make the difference.

8. putttn

putttn Pen Pal - Newbie

Seems to me Gateway has a head start on the marketing and have done a great job in educating us newbies. Now whether or not it is the most reliable etc I have no idea. Seems to me these pc's are all made from the same components so it's just how it "fits" you that is determining the popularity. Unless I'm all wet about the components, there shouldn't be too much in the way of difference. I was impressed that the Gateway was made of titanium and from their video clip it looked like they've put a lot of thinking into their new models. I'm going to buy one but don't know which one yet. Hard to justify 1,500 on up for a note taker for me. But I sure like the technology. Anybody have information on the components difference between the models in this price range?

9. poetdante

I was screeming "it is not a good product. it weighs 7lb and has poor graphics technology and handles like crap!" at my tv when I saw it. my cats looked at me funny.

10. putttn

putttn Pen Pal - Newbie

Since I've never used one I won't pretend to know what difference 2 to 3 lbs means, nor will I pretend to know what poor graphics and it handles poorly mean in the overall quality of the product. I'm a little confused when I go to the most popular and I guess the best seller, Toshiba, and see that the screen is visibly warped, the quality of materials and fit and finish not any better and in fact, not as good as the Gateway.
    If internal components are the same why is the Gateway a middle of the road computer?:confused:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.