The Windows 10 Store app is BAD

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 18, 2019.

1. daddyfish

daddyfish Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

, to be fair on MS side, the reviewer said that it cannot be get rid off, but I just uninstalled it myself :p (I entirely forgot about that app)

2. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

I know, I just find it ironic that the single one thing they help out with is getting rid of the app. Why fix bugs if you can just help users get rid of your buggy app! :cool:

3. JoeS

Hey, apparently there's some rumblings about MS revamping the app store, so who knows, maybe there's some fixes on the way. Unfortunately the biggest change seems to be that they'd allow full on x86 apps, which would increase the risk of users installing something nefarious.

4. Tams

Tams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Sounds just like Microsoft Community answers with users with titles such as 'Independent Advisor' who just give you something off a cheat sheet in response to questions, and the other responses are mainly made up with people complaining how the useless and drone-like the 'official' answer is. The drone user then disappears never to be seen in the comments again.

5. desertlap

desertlap Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

And of course there is a bug for some users in the latest rev of the store app where if you open it and check for updates, you just get a spinning icon and the menus stop working.

The only fix that MS has to offer right now is to log out of the store (before you try to check for updates, otherwise the apps is still hung) and then log back in.

Not terrible, but not exactly intuitive, and a bit more problematic for corporate where they might be reluctant to give out those credentials constantly.

Supposedly will be fixed in next months patch Tuesday.

sonichedgehog360 likes this.
  6. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

7. JoeS

Steve S and dellaster like this.
  8. daddyfish

daddyfish Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

There was a leak right that MS will give the store some 'love' in the upcoming big update? Personally I have placed some private apps on the store and have no issues with the store or upload portal itself. I actually use the store quite a lot for some basic apps (also saves some hassle with reinstalling apps on a new pc).

9. desertlap

desertlap Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

There might be some truth behind that particular rumor.

We as well as several of the app developers we work with received a fairly extensive survey on the MS App Store last week. NDA keeps me from going in to detail, but they asked questions that make us think they might address at least some of the bigger issues

Last edited: Jun 12, 2021
    bloodycape, Steve S and daddyfish like this.
  10. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I'm wondering if they plan on connecting the new Store to the repository of software that's getting added to winget. Winget basically uses a xaml pointer file to tell where to download the install package from. They're up to about 2000 apps available through that at this point, and most of it is not appx or msix.

I could easily see them extending that to something paid too. Maybe something along the lines of a 70/30 split towards the developer if Microsoft continues to host in the store, and a 90/10 split if the developer wants to self-host and use the 'Store' as basically a payment processor / advertising venue.

daddyfish likes this.