The Windows 10 Store app is BAD

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 18, 2019.

1. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Is it just me or is the Windows app store broken in lots of little ways? Download speeds inconsistent, download estimates unreliable, weird error codes, inconsistent change log policy (most apps don't have a change log), etc.

My favorite d'Oh! is that the store app itself shows a 'Launch' button. Eh guys, the store app is open, otherwise how could I see the launch button. Who are these coders?

upload_2019-10-18_9-2-18.png

Marty likes this.
  2. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 AKA Hifihedgehog Senior Member

Microsoft-ception.

darkmagistric and JoeS like this.
  3. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

While all the problems you listed are gripes mine too, this one has to take the cake for greatest entry barrier (to an already ailing platform).

I have no way of determining if the app has been abandoned, other than by surmising from last review date (which may only consist if a few vague, sometimes text-less, 2-3 star ratings :p). Yeah...there's no way I'm spending money on that.

PS. To your list I would also add: "no indication of in-app advertising", unless the dev decides to post a screenshot with ads showing (which they often do not).

The Windows Store...you wonder if even MS has given up on it.

JoeS likes this.
  4. jhoff80

jhoff80 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

In some departments, they kind of have. Teams is no longer available in the Store, and Office 365 is no longer available to be installed from the Store.

The latter of which I really found useful, because the Store version lets you pick and choose which apps to install. So I didn't need to install Publisher, and I didn't need to install Outlook and Access on my personal PC. Whereas the Click2Run installer still forces all or none.

But then Terminal on the other hand is updating through the Store, and Whiteboard is through the Store, and OneNote 2016 is practically abandonware in favor of the Store version... so I guess Microsoft is being about as consistent as usual here.

WillAdams and JoeS like this.
  5. JoeS

Thanks guys, for giving me even more reasons to be annoyed with the store! :p

By the way, a large number of negative reviews of the store app itself are from people who have trouble switching out of S-mode (pronounced, assmode, hat-tip to Craig Ferguson). You'd think that MS would provide some developer feedback on those reviews, but nope, nothing. Whoever at MS is managing the Store app, they seem to be asleep at the wheel.

6. kurt corbin

kurt corbin Scribbler - Standard Member

Microsoft modified my store app yesterday, and today they reminded me I have the latest updates. Dear Microsoft, Please stop with the elegant variation. If you tell me the thing was "modified" yesterday, then please remind me by telling me I have the latest "modification," not the latest "update." I don't want to feel like I am working a crossword puzzle every time you remind me of something.

It's not an app, but the most idiotic thing about Windows 10 is the night light. As if the only time I want to protect my eyes is at night. Dumb name. It should be called the yellow light. I want yellow ALL THE TIME. So for the display settings, I select ON under "night light." Only... if I do that I am FORCED to set a SCHEDULE for the nightlight to come on and go off. So I schedule the the thing to go off for 15 minutes at 3AM, and one night I am working late, and Microsoft gives me a surprise headache with their blue-light special. Finally I figured it out. On your display settings, turn your nightlight OFF. Then, under nightlight settings, click "turn on now" and adjust the "strength," which is Microsoft's idiotic way of saying "color." Then go down and set "schedule nightlight" to OFF. Done. No more blue. Ever.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2019
    JoeS and WillAdams like this.
  7. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Microsoft, constantly vacillating between encouraging (Neo/Duo) and

[​IMG]

If they were NOT Microsoft I would say the Neo/Duo were the hail mary pass of a vendor who will go out of business before they ship...

Last edited: Oct 19, 2019
  8. JoeS

Ah the Windows store, such a good idea, such a terrible implementation.

Today's demonstration of the store suckiness: "this product is installed" at the top, and "you are unable to rate or review as you do not own this product". Good grief, how can this app be so horrible?? :confused:

upload_2019-11-12_15-24-9.png