The trouble with Automatic Updates...

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by dceggert, Apr 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

Well, at least there are no MANDATORY reboots in the middle of working on something like used to happen with Win 7 and Win 8.x if you had auto updates on. But, I get up this morning to find out that my auto-rotate on/off button is grayed out and my screen is not rotating. It was working fine yesterday.... Okay, what did they do while I was sleeping last night...(rhetorical).

Now I have to go in and actively restore a restore point to get it going again. Microsoft must use Chromebooks to develop their stuff because they sure could not possibly USE what they make.

2. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

Okay Community, here is the cause and the 'fix.' The thread posted here helped me:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...ndows-10/75e2c52f-4d0a-4dc6-94db-a7778296b665

This is caused by removing your keyboard on your 2 in 1 while it is sleeping.

To fix this (verified on my Elite X2 1012) physically turn your device back to landscape, rotate the screen to landscape manually using the graphics properties, then reconnect your keyboard. While the unit is still on, remove the keyboard. There is an onscreen notification displayed that autorotate is turned back on.

So, this was not really related to an 'update' but obviously 'user error.' I feel bad for bashing MS... not really. I never had this issue with Win 8.x. It's still their fault! ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.