The PowerPoint Pen-Only Toolbar: Making the use of PowerPoint on a tablet PC more efficient

Discussion in 'Educators' started by lblb, Aug 31, 2013.

1. gregvp

gregvp Pen Pal - Newbie

Just discovered this toolbar and installed it on my HP Envy X2 13inch tablet. Installed ok with 64bit office 2013 but when I try to change pen colours I get "Error: 0x80040101E3 operation unavailable" etc as per the image below. I can draw on a slide with RED ok and erase and other functions seem ok just no colour changing.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Cheers Greg
    [​IMG]

2. lblb

lblb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

@gregvp

I've never encountered this error before. Does this happen when you're in a slide show? Does it happen for any color? Also, does it happen when you try to add a slide (using the button on the Toolbar) during a presentation?

Maybe you need to run the Toolbar as admin.
    1) Close PowerPoint and the Toolbar
    2) Go to "C:\Program Files\Apps for Tablet PC\PowerPoint Pen-Only Toolbar 1_0"
    3) Right-click on the file "PowerPoint Pen-Only Toolbar.exe" and select "Properties". On the "Compatibility" tab, make sure that "Run this program as an administrator" is checked on.

If you then re-launch PowerPoint then the Toolbar, does it now work correctly?

3. seeyar

seeyar Pen Pal - Newbie

I had the same problem. Running the Powerpoint itself in administrative mode removed the error message. Appreciate your efforts.

4. lblb

@seeyar
    Thanks for the information. That's good to know as I am working on a long overdue update of the toolbar that plays better with Win 10 and more recent versions of PowerPoint.

surfaceproartist likes this.
  5. marwie

marwie Pen Pal - Newbie

Great tool! It would be practical, if its possible to use keyboard shortcuts to select the tools and if the highlighter is also avialable. do you plan to update the toolbar in the near future?

6. lblb

@marwie

I had planned to update it but I eventually got involved with developing something similar with a third party. Hopefully this work will come to fruition soon.

Are you actually using the toolbar? It seems that installation has been a bit troublesome for some users. I still use it almost every day in my lectures, and now with Win 10 it's pretty great.

There are no keyboard shortcuts but those could certainly be included in a future version. Additionally, whether you use the toolbar or not, I can easily show you how to create keyboard shortcuts to all kinds of tools in PowerPoint (especially during presentations) as I've been heavily involved in that kind of stuff lately. Obviously, what you can and cannot do depends on the version of PPT you are using and, to a lesser extent, on the version of Windows.