The PowerPoint Pen-Only Toolbar: Making the use of PowerPoint on a tablet PC more efficient

Discussion in 'Educators' started by lblb, Aug 31, 2013.

1. gatewaypc

gatewaypc Pen Pal - Newbie

I inserted add-ins before I got your reply. When I tried to launch the tool, it says the program can only run on Windows Vista or later version. My PC has Windows XP, Version 2002 with service pack 3. MS Office is 2010 version. I also followed your suggestion and found the only option for compatibility are windows 95, 98, NT, and 200. Any comment? Thanks in advance.

PS. I am planning to use your program for my teaching (chemistry)

2. lblb

lblb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Hi gatewaypc,

I made the toolbar compatible only with versions of Windows after XP mainly because the Touch functionalities are not the same in XP. But maybe it can still work with XP, I just haven't tried. So you can try this:

1) Download the following zip file that contains a toolbar in which I removed the function that checks the version of Windows (so you shouldn't get that message anymore):
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/ueqpc7rvrfzjkh5/PowerPoint Pen-Only Toolbar_No_OS_Check.zip

2) Replace the following file
    C:\Program Files\Apps for Tablet PC\PowerPoint Pen-Only Toolbar 1_0\PowerPoint Pen-Only Toolbar.exe
    with the one in the zip file you just downloaded.

3) You should now be able to launch the toolbar from PowerPoint, and maybe you'll have to do the "Run as admin" process I described in the previous post.

As I said, I haven't tested with XP and can't confirm that it will work. I don't know if the Touch functions will work at all and maybe you'll have to disable them through the Options. Just report back here if you encounter any problem.

By the way, I teach chemistry too!

3. gatewaypc

Hi, lblb,

Replaced the file, and got an error message again:
    error: Can't load icon
    Specifically: C:\program Files\Appls for Tablet PC\Powerpoint Pen-Only Toolbar 1_0\Menu_icon\Windows.ico
    -----> Line #
    055:Menu, Tray, icon, Windows settings: C:\program Files\Appls for Tablet PC\Powerpoint Pen-Only Toolbar 1_0\Menu_icon\Windows.ico

The current thread will exit.
    I feel we need to make some changes in menu file. Thanks.

Thanks.

4. lblb

Hmmm... that's surprising. How about you:

1) Delete the folder for the toolbar: C:\Program Files\Apps for Tablet PC\PowerPoint Pen-Only Toolbar 1_0\

2) Reinstall the toolbar by using the installer that you used initially.

3) Redownload the zip file with the modified toolbar from post #12.

4) Extract the exe from the zip file onto your Desktop then double-click on this file while it's still on your desktop. Does it work now?

(By the way, did you transcribe the error message or did you copy it (my real question is: Is the typo "Appls" instead of "Apps" in your error message your typo or an typo in the program I uploaded?)

5. gatewaypc

Hi, lblb, thanks again,

Tried as you suggested and got the same message (the Appls should be apps, my typo).

Here is what I did:

1. Installed the tool using the zip file from your initial Dropbox. The file installed directly to the folder: C:\Program Files\Apps for Tablet PC\PowerPoint Pen-Only Toolbar 1_0\. This is also what I did before.

2. Downloaded the new zip file from your post #12 and unzipped into my desktop. Then I tried both ways as you suggested:

(a). Did not copy the .exe file from the desktop to replace the same file in C:\Program Files\Apps for Tablet PC\PowerPoint Pen-Only Toolbar 1_0\. After I clicked the .exe file in the desktop, I got a message "this program requires Windows Vista or later"

(b) Copied the .exe file from the desktop folder and replaced the same file in C:\Program Files\Apps for Tablet PC\PowerPoint Pen-Only Toolbar 1_0\. After I clicked the .exe file in the desktop, I got the message as I indicated in my previous post. At the bottom task bar, I did see an icon for PowerPoint Pen-only Toolbar.exe. When I tried to reload the .exe from this icon, I got the same message. It seems that the program was running, but couldn't load to the ppt.

Thanks and appreciate your help.

6. lblb

Hi gatewaypc,

ok, instead of trying to patch it up like I've been doing I'll upload in the next few days a version that should have better compatibility with your XP system. Sorry for the problems you've been having just trying to start it! (Hopefully the new version should be better but I still won't be able to test it on an XP computer). Anything that can make this useable by more users is welcome so I'll be happy to work on this.

In the meantime, can you tell me if your tablet is Touch-enabled?

7. gatewaypc

Hi, lblb, thanks again.
    That will be awesome.

Here is the details of my PC:
    Model: Gateway TB-120
    System: Microsoft Windows XP, Tablet PC Edition 2005, Version 2002, Service Pack 3
    Software: Office 2010
    Pen: Wacom Penabled pressure- sensitive digital pen

I also have a new vaio touch-enabled computer. It is awkward to write with a capacitor-based stylus. In my classroom, we also have a Smartboard. The words you wrote on the screen are ugly. This gateway computer still works great and I like the pen very much.

8. gatewaypc

Hi, lblb, do you have any update on this issue? thanks.

9. lblb

Hi gatewaypc,

I've been away for the last few weeks and it was impossible for me to upload any files. But I got back home yesterday. I have made all the changes I could think of to try to make the toolbar compatible with Win XP (hopefully it will work!) and should have the opportunity to upload it this weekend. Stay tuned! Sorry for the delay, this weather thing has really screwed up my plans!

10. lblb

UPDATE!

Just uploaded v. 1.1 of the PowerPoint Pen-Only Toolbar. Should hopefully now be compatible with Windows XP (although I haven't been able to test this). Comments and bug reports welcome! See the first post for the download link and a list of other minor changes.

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2015