The Power Cable Hack

Discussion in 'HP Slate' started by TheWerewolf, Jan 29, 2011.

1. sitongia

sitongia Scribbler - Standard Member

Is the car adapter kit sufficient to charge the Slate, or does one also need to buy a AB-14 TIP?
    Thanks.

2. JimisHappy

JimisHappy Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm not sure I understand your question. My configuration uses the Energizer XP8000 battery pack and the AB-14 TIP to interface to the HP H0R85AA cable to plug into the Slate. This provides a totally portable energy source for the slate.

The XP8000 battery pack does not have a Car adapter, it only re-charges with the 110V to 19VDC supplied adapter (power supply.)

It may be that if you used an inverter (12V to 110V), then plugged in the XP8000 adapter supply to the XP8000 Battery, then plugged in the AB-14 TIP to the HOR85AA cable, then pluged the cable into the slate, then you may have a way to power the slate in a car indefinitely.

Please note that others have had tried the HP supplied 110V adapter in a car (powered through an inverter) but have had interference problems which made the slate unstable. I will try the XP8000 configuration above and let you know how it works. (The ONLY reason I can see for the above configuration is to keep the slate running and the XP8000 re-charged forever.)

If you want FOREVER car use, I would simply get a TRUE Sine wave inverter. The TRUE Sine wave inverters do not produce the noise that the cheaper MODIFIED Sine Wave (stepped square wave) inverters do. Then you can use the HP supplied adapter that came with the slate and not need all the XP8000and H0R805AA stuff.

3. Boyd

Boyd Pen Pal - Newbie

Well if you want to use an inverter in your car, no need for this cable. Just use the normal power cable and brick. How long will the slate run with a fully charged XP8000?

4. JimisHappy

Ran the slate down until it shut down and would not turn back on. Hooked up the XP8000, turned on the slate runing WiFi and bluetooth. The XP8000 charged for one hour until the XP8000 was drained (all the time the slate was running Wifi and bluetooth.) When the XP8000 went off, the slate showed 53% charged. My GUESS would be that you can almost double the run time with the XP8000 when you can't get to an outlet to re-charge.

5. sitongia

sitongia Scribbler - Standard Member

Thanks for your reply.

You'd mentioned a "Universal Car Adapter for Laptops1" in a previous post. Looks like that provides the right voltage to run the Slate. Does it have the right connector? Is the AB-14 TIP an adapter that is required to use this Car Adapter with the Slate?

Thanks for your help.

6. JimisHappy

I don't have a car adapter. What I have is a battery that has 19V, 12V, and a 5V USB output. This is the the Energizer XP8000 battery pack (~$100). With the XP8000 battery, I had to buy and the AB-14 TIP (~$4) to interface to the HP H0R85AA cable (~$35) that plugs into the Slates custom connector. This way I have a totally portable power source for teh slate, as well as about any other device I choose.

If you want to run for extended periods of time in the car, I would look for a small TRUE sine wave* inverter 12V DC to 100VAC (not a hybrid inverter), and then use the power brick that came with the slate.
    *(others have reported noise problems using the cheaper hybrid inverters)

Hope this helps

7. Boyd

Boyd Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for the battery life info Jim. I have an old APC "Universal Notebook Battery" (UPB-80) with a voltage selector switch that can be set to 19 volts. It has a bunch of different cable tips and a couple of them are supposed to be compatible with a long list of HP laptops (Omnibooks and Pavillions). So maybe that will work with this new cable? Haven't used it in years, so I don't know if it still even works.

I still don't think this is much of a "solution" for use in the car, but sounds like it might be able to get me through a day and would be less awkward than a big inverter and a bunch of cords.

8. JimisHappy

Boyd,

Sorry, I miised your point about the 19V car converter. I don't have a 19V car converter, but you might be able to use one of your tips to plug into the HP cable. And yes, the car converter would be far less convoluted and expensive.

I went to XPAL to see if they listed the AB-14 for either the Omnibook (no TIP listed), or the Pavillion (AB-13) and neither showed to use the AB-14 tip.

Let me know if I can help.

9. Firedog

Firedog Pen Pal - Newbie

I use the Slate for navigation and music when I'm in my car or on the motorcycle. The set up I use works well for me. The slate is continuously charged by the vehicle so I rarely need the AC charger that came with the Slate. There is usually plenty of battery to write emails, transfer pictures and watch a movie at the end of the day.

HP docks are available for less than $40. I bought 3; so I have one mounted on the bike, one mounted in the car and a spare next to my bed at home. The original is on my desk. The docks that are moved or handled get a narrow strip of Velcro near the top edge. This is plenty secure on the road, yet allow one to easily grab the slate at the end of the day or for security. The power, audio and USB, GPS receiver all stay connected to dock, so there no futzing around when it's time to go.

To avoid the expense and part count of using HP's 40 pin power connector, I add a barrel jack to each dock; less than a $1, and a 15 minute job. Then a any AC/19VDC or 12VDC/19VDC power source with a simple barrel plug works fine. (Check my posts on page 6 for details)

I found this 12VDC/19VDC converter on ebay for $7.25.
    eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices
    It seems well made and has plenty of power for the slate. It comes with what appears to be 1.7x5.5mm plug, but that can be easily changed.

This doesn't solve the problem of extended use of the slate when there is no power, AC or DC available. For example 14 hour flight. Then the XP8000 battery pack would come in handy, but at least you wouldn't need to solve the connector problem since it comes with most common plug sizes.