The Power Cable Hack

Discussion in 'HP Slate' started by TheWerewolf, Jan 29, 2011.

1. JimisHappy

JimisHappy Pen Pal - Newbie

Another way to avoid going from 12V DC to 110VAC then to 19V DC is to get a CONVERTER. An example of a 12V to 19V converter can be found on e-bay for $19 (see - GATEWAY 19V 3.42A 65W LAPTOP CAR CHARGER DC12V PLUG NEW.) Please note that I doubt the plug on this will work with the H0R85AA socket and might have to be changed.

2. JimisHappy

I also found a Car converter that has interchangable tips for $20 at:
    Universal Car Adapter for Laptops1

3. Firedog

Firedog Pen Pal - Newbie

Instead of buying HP's $30 pigtail, one can just add a $1 barrel jack to the docking station. Then any AC/19vdc or 12vdc/19vdc charger can be used.

Attached Files:

4. JimisHappy

Received the HP Slate cable H0R85AA today. The H0R85AA socket fit a Dell PA-10 Power adapter. XPAL recommends an AB-14 TIP for the XP8000 (which I ordered today.)

I also found that the AB-08 TIP that comes with the XP8000 fits the H0R85AA cable.

Note: I have not powered the Slate yet with either TIP as I left the Slate at work. I'll let y'all know how this works out.

[​IMG]

5. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

Jim: Good job!

6. ships10

ships10 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

How did you add it?

7. Firedog

Firedog Pen Pal - Newbie

For ships10

I chose 2.1 x 5.5mm barrel connectors because they are very common, available for 69 to 99cents in my electronic store's bulk bins and I have a 19v adapters with that plug. A smaller size could be a better choice, since the space is tight, but it would be more fragile. I found it easier to use a jack meant for the end a cable, rather than a true chasis jack. The cable type jack has the threads inside and more of the jack ends up outside the case so it fits a little easier. Toss the plastic cable shroud and borrow a 5/16" x 24 jam nut from a miniswitch or a true chasis jack.

1. Open the dock. Instructions here: http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/hp-slate-500/37647-look-inside-slate-500s-dock.html

2. Separate the 2 halves by unplugging the two connectors going to the rear half. You don't need to remove any circuit boards.

3 Use the jam nut, inside, as template to locate the center of the hole on side of the dock near the USB ports. Keep the nut low and as close to the edge as possible. The entire jack needs to end up below the steel circuit board mount. Drill a pilot hole from the inside. Drill a 5/16" hole from the outside using the pilot hole.

4. Trim the solder tabs on the jack quite short. Tin the shorten tabs with solder. Don't overheat or the plastic construction of the jack will loosen. Hold the nut inside, screw the jack thru the dock into the nut. Orient the jack so you can solder to the tinned tabs. Check that it clears the parts of the front half of the dock when assembled. Move or cut away any conductive ground tape that's close to the +19v tab.

5. Solder a ~22guage wire to the rear circuit board at the points shown in the picture. There is a big solder pad available for the negative (easy), the +19V is the end pin on the larger connector. If you are not sure, use a volt meter to find the 19V connections. After soldering, use a ohmmeter and a mag glass to check for shorts.

6. Solder the other end of the wires to the tinned tabs of the barrel jack. Check everything. Plug the 2 connectors back in. Plug in the HP charger into it's docking connector. LED should be on and white. Remove it. Plug a 19v adapter into you new jack. LED should be on and white. Remove it. Put dock back together.

7. A straight on plug is fine for the docks in my car, motorcycle and on my desk. Where I hand hold the dock, I use a right angle plug to prevent any accidental strain on the jack.

Attached Files:

8. JimisHappy

Powered the Slate with the H0R85AA cable today.

The AB-08 TIP (supplied with XP8000) will NOT work with the H0R85AA cable. Although it feels like a good fit, it appears that the center pin is too short to mate properly. Hopefully I will get the AB-14 TIP and report back on how it works.

The H0R85AA does work with the Dell PA-10 Power adapter (which has what XPAL says is a AB-14 TIP.)

9. JimisHappy

Ordered the AB-14 TIP for $3.95 (USPS - mail cost). I found the AB-14 TIP to be used on the Dell Latitude D830. You can go to the XPAL order page at :
    Tip Finder | Energizer® Energi To Go® Rechargeable Power Packs

I was not willing to pay $25 for expedited freight so I will wait the 7 - 10 days and then let y'all know how the AB-14 TIP works.

10. JimisHappy

Received the AB-14 TIP and it works fine to charge the Slate.