The one device quest - our shared experiences

Discussion in 'The Tablet PC Life' started by Kumabjorn, Jun 11, 2021.

Tags:
  1. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I manage w/ just a Samsung Galaxy Book 12 running build 1703 --- I write and do 3D modeling:

https://willadams.gitbook.io/design-into-3d/3d-project

Some typesetting and graphic design work, including font development:

http://tug.org/TUGboat/tb24-2/tb77adams.pdf

(I include that because I was using a similar machine back then)

Every so often, if I think of it, I'll look up something on my Note 10+ or my Kindle Paperwhite, but that's pretty rare.

I'd like to replace it w/ an Android tablet, and think I'd do pretty well --- issues are:

- need to replace Macromedia Freehand --- GraviT from the Chrome App store may be workable
    - need to run two proprietary apps (Carbide Create and Motion) for a side gig I have (though I could just access them on my MacBook Pro, and Motion does run on a Raspberry Pi, but tech support is easier w/ copy-pasting of screen grabs on Windows, as opposed to having to grab them out of the filesystem)

nyb72, Tams, Kumabjorn and 2 others like this.
  2. nyb72

nyb72 Scribbler - Standard Member

I do feel like we're getting closer to this pocketable one device unicorn.

The screen size has always been and will be the barrier to me. Folding displays has helped make it a passable solution, but I think what I need is a tri fold design.

Currently using the Fold2, and I find it is just enough screen real estate to do office level type of work. I've also found that unfolded, an on screen keyboard makes for a decent thumb typing experience and I find it good enough for emails. Adding a folding bluetooth keyboard to the mix is really pushing things in terms of pocketability. I still need a small backpack to hold a keyboard, mouse, charging cords, stand...

As for computing power, I'm about to experiment with Moonlight to see if it's feasible to operate 3D software that requires a GPU. I suspect that the UI experience will be exasperating, but still willing to try.

3. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

[​IMG]

I'm at it again - that "one device" thing - and trying to live within the battery and processor limits of the Surface Go 2 (M3/8gb/256gb/LTE). Well, actually that is two devices when you count the iPhone 11 Pro. I think we are still a LONG WAY from a pocketable device that can dock and be your PC at the office and phablet elsewhere (although Samsung and Microsoft are trying mightily). Maybe a Win11 Duo 3 will answer that bell...

Kumabjorn and dellaster like this.
  4. violajack

violajack Scribbler - Standard Member

I also have a Tab S6 lite with LTE and I could see it being one device, except for the Android thing. I've tried a couple of times to go Android only, and I always run into something that's either impossible, or simply too inconvenient and go back to the PC. I got close with the Note 9 and nexdock functioning almost like a chromebook, but some websites wouldn't play in desktop mode no matter what I tried. And that's really still two devices anyway. And I couldn't take notes on the Note while it was plugged in. It's also too small of a canvas for longer form notes.

With me primarily using google voice, my Pro X could probably serve as a single device solution for me, including occasional phone calls with my galaxy buds. But, there are some apps I like that don't run on the Pro X (yet). It'd be a bit obnoxious to carry it around all the time, and it won't plug into my car to give me google maps nav while driving, so I guess that's a function I'd need another device to replicate.

I'm stuck between needing Android for some things Windows can't do and needing Windows for some things Android can't do.

Kumabjorn and JoeS like this.
  5. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

At least your not stuck in Apple's walled garden to boot...:eek:

violajack likes this.
  6. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

A question best left for the philosophers, but is it really a "Two Device" solution is the 2nd device serves purely as an extension of the 1st devices will?

Case in point a recent trip to Alaska I did. Def wasn't gonna take my zBook setup with me given its heft and weight, and I almost took my M1 Macbook Air and 12.9 iPad Pro. but ultimately I opted against that.

Ended up taking my old Surface Pro 5 with me, along with the Tab S6 lite to use as a second monitor. Haven't really used my Pro 5 since I partially fell down into the apple hole, but using the Pro 5 near exclusively over the past few weeks, I totally forgot how much I adored the damn thing. Being able to draw on it, remove the keyboard, put the kickstand at any position, I really feel confident in saying the Surface Pro form factor is really the closest thing we'll ever have to a true king of One Device. And thanks to SuperDisplay, and a little mounting clip (Called a mountie + by tenOnedesign) the Tab S6 lite used in conjunction really made it feel like using one device. In comparison to the Macbook Air and Side-Cared Ipad, which always still feels like a 2 device solution. Ironically that mountie+ was designed for Apple Products to afix iPhones and iPads to a Macbooks screen, but I find it puts too much tension on the screens hinge. Although not completely perfect, the form factor of the Zbook X2 and Surface Pro is stupidly perfect for the mountie.

pardon how disgusting my keyboard cover looks.

20210705_152440_compress32.jpg

nyb72, Kumabjorn, dstrauss and 3 others like this.
  7. dellaster

dellaster Creatively Talentless Senior Member

… And does my Apple watch count? It could be seen as a peripheral of my iPhone, and does that iPhone count when it seems most people aren’t including smartphones?

When I pull out my old Playstation Vita does it count towards the total? And my Nintendo 2DS, 2DS XL, or 3DS XL? My old, occasionally turned on Fujitsu Q584, which I don’t have the heart to recycle and wouldn’t be wanted by anyone else?

Does my SuperNote A6X count? Wacom note taking, but Android-based e-ink…

Or, as I suspect, are we just counting Tablet PCs under a modern definition that includes Android tablets and iPads (go back to 2012 in the forum and Apple was dismissed with a sneer… wait, there’s still some of that! ;))?

8. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I would draw the line at the utility being exclusive of the other device. In my case, although the Tab S6 lite could have been used on its own, I never once used it on the trip besides as a Super Display extension. All drawing, websurfing, video watching, was all done on the Pro 5. Effectively my Tab s6 Lite could have literally been a USB monitor for my purposes and it wouldn't have made a difference to me. And having it physically attached directly, certainly the visual helps to maintain the facade as a one device solution. In a weird way you can almost think of the Tab S6 lite mounted onto the Pro 5, as a sort of makeshift Surface Neo. Using the larger Tab S7+ would even work better since its overall size would be near equal to the Surface Pro.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2021
    nyb72 and WillAdams like this.