The Next Version of Windows is.....Windows 10

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by jnjroach, Sep 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gcoupe

gcoupe Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I don't want the desktop on a 6-8" Atom, or on a Windows Phone. But I DO want it on my ThinkPad 10. And looking down the road, if a 6" device can be docked with a big monitor, keyboard and mouse - then I expect my desktop to be there, and will be most upset if it isn't.

JoeS likes this.
  2. spinedoc77

spinedoc77 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

It's really not bad at all, as long as you have 200% dpi, and maybe all the scaling changes that MS is making will help out a bit as well. It's always nice to have the option though, and not through some registry hack or relogging but just the way it is, a simple desktop tile in the modern start screen.

I installed W10 onto one of my laptops and really like it for keyboard/mouse driven devices, they are doing a great job. So far though I think I'll keep 8.1 on my tablets, but of course MS may surprise us with some goodies. It just seems like touch has taken a backseat to the desktop.

3. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Can't you just swipe in from the left and poke at the 'x' in the task switcher? Disclaimer, I have not used the preview. :)

4. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

To be honest, I hadn't thought of that. Yes, you can. Note that if you swipe from the left to task switcher, change to another app, and then go back to the first, it's back to being in a windowed view.

5. JoeS

That's bad, hope you feedback the hell out of that!

6. jhoff80

Yeah, I have. And I also sent in to have the option to default apps to fullscreen. Part of me is slightly hesitant to push too hard on the touch features as we know they've got something better coming, but at the same time, now is also probably the best time to do so when they're still really early in the process for it.

7. jhoff80

Another thing I dislike... WinRT apps now fully exit when closed instead of suspend. There's no real reason that we should go back to that dated way of thinking about things. The OS is intelligent enough to manage system resources. Having to wait for the splash screen every time because the app is opening fresh is just stupid.

Edit: Okay, sorry, I take that back. There's two inconsistent ways that it works. If you click on the top right button, the app fully closes. If you swipe from the left (or use Win+Tab) and then click the X there, then it suspends. Two buttons that look the same should not do two different functions.

bloodycape and Ed Hardy like this.
  8. JoeS

Just came across this screenshot with the task bar docked on the right side. Wouldn't it make more sense to have the apps appear on the left side of the menu in this case?

upload_2014-10-5_10-32-8.png

Edit: mockup of the swapped version. It could use some more padding between tiles and icons, but otherwise I think it works.

upload_2014-10-5_10-36-57.png

Kumabjorn likes this.
  9. ptrkhh

ptrkhh Scribbler - Standard Member

Who put taskbar on the right side anyway? I think MS should lock the taskbar to be either on the left or bottom side, since the taskbar expands to the right.

Remember guys, the 'metro' part, which is being developed by the former WP team will be finished by the beginning of next year. Windows 10 Technical Preview, as you can see, ships without the new 'metro' part, since, we have the exact same 'metro' as 8.1

10. gcoupe

gcoupe Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

It's always been possible for a user to dock the Taskbar on any of the four sides of the screen. This particular user likes it on the right-hand side, and what's wrong with that?

I've had mine on the left for years, and only with running the technical preview have I reverted to the "normal" position of the Taskbar being at the bottom as a test. Now I'm suffering because my muscle memory keeps on thinking that it's still on the left.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.