The Next Version of Windows is.....Windows 10

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by jnjroach, Sep 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

Spinedoc many of these questions won't be answered until later releases or the Consumer Preview, I still believe that on SST ATOM or ARM will be MUI Only... at least the free SKU.... but I reserve the right be proven wrong with later builds....

2. spinedoc77

spinedoc77 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

So no smaller tablets will have full windows in your educated guess/prediction? That would be a shame, would be nice to have some options at least. Guess I'll have to horde my vivotab note 8 as one of the last of the dinosaurs.

Kumabjorn likes this.
  3. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

Lets say the free SKU that is included on screens under 9" is MUI only. Currently one can install any OS they want on an Atom tablet. I can install Ubuntu or I can install Windows 8.1 Enterprise, etc. According to what you have heard, is the MUI only thing likely to be some sort of auto detection thing where, based on the form factor, it forcefully restricts to certain features, or will it be an SKU restriction.

If it is the latter, currently one can upgrade 8.1 to 8.1 Pro through the control panel for a fee. Maybe this will be available in Windows 10 where this can be done for small tablets running the free MUI only SKU to upgrade to a non-free SKU which offers the desktop?

4. Ed Hardy

Ed Hardy FORMER Editor, TabletPCReview Staff Member

Keep in mind, the Win10 developer preview isn't inteded to be put on any computer you actually use. This is alpha code released just so the public can make comments on the direction Microsoft is headed.

The company was very high-handed with Windows 8, making radical changes to the user interface without much consultation with its customers. As a result, it ended up with a version that laptop and desktop users are reluctant to upgrade to. The preview of Win10 is intended to make sure this doesn't happen again.

5. jnjroach

My educated guess is the "Free" Version will be the MUI version, as most SST have no keyboard dock...Desktop on ARM I doubt....

x86/x64 enabled SSTs should have the ability to upgrade to a Pro SKU that I believe will have the desktop. I will say though that the desktop is much more difficult to navigate on touch then even Windows 8.x currently. I tried the MUI IE hack last night and it only partially works, I couldn't get Tabs to work.

6. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

Didn't MS themselves recommend against tablet users installing the preview? It sounds like so far they have been focusing on the desktop side. Do you expect the final product W10 desktop to be so far behind the W8.1 desktop for touch operation?

7. jnjroach

I honestly think that they are designing the desktop for keyboard and mouse, the fact they chose single pixel boarders, less chrome. I think when Continuum is introduced it will put all Tablets into a MUI Mode. Desktop IE has very few Touch Elements and I do miss the ability to Swipe.

I also think the MUI Environment will be much more intuitive when full released as it is being created by the old Windows Phone Team. But yes, this Preview is a long warm hug to Laptop\Desktop Corporate Users saying.....

"We know, we scared you but its going to be OK, see it just like you wanted, its desktop that you can scatter Windows all over the place, even though lets be honest you're not going to do it but it completely freaked you out that you couldn't if you wanted.....and yes we agree we didn't like Steven Sinofsky either...."

gcoupe, JoeS and eltos_lightfoot like this.
  8. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

I'm hoping that they include some logic in the interface that states 'if user touch swipes inward starting near an edge, interpret as window resize'. They might have to include a compatibility option for legacy software that uses UI elements near the window edge, but otherwise I think it should be doable to add this.

9. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I know I'm beating a dead horse here, but while I agree that this is likely to happen, it's really dumb with the Continuum thing they demoed. A device like the Surface 2 should be in 'touch mode' all the time, but if you attach a keyboard should still show the desktop, in my opinion. Or at least, there should be a setting for a user to allow it to be switched to desktop mode. Some users on a 10" device like Surface 2 will be very happy with just windowed Metro/WinRT apps on the desktop when using a keyboard and mouse.

gcoupe likes this.
  10. jnjroach

I hear you, but they are fighting perception, RT was slammed for having the desktop by the x86 legacy software crowd and by the tech pundits (press and analysts). I just can't see them going through the effort to keep a desktop on ARM. And in all honesty I can't imagine using the Windows 10 Desktop on a 6-8" ATOM.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.