The Next Version of Windows is.....Windows 10

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by jnjroach, Sep 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tijo

tijo Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Well, there is some massive hate from a part of the NBR community, up to the point where it gets too emotional regardless of whether they make good arguments about it. The reverse is true too though. It's a mod's nightmare to be honest.

I have to find the time to download the sucker and make a Hyper-V VM for it. It's something awesome that is included in Windows 8 Pro and up.

Currently, all of my devices have some important usage so I can't just use one as a test bed. The M6700 is my main work computer, the desktop is used for gaming, my Q584 is my lab notebook and my Elitebook is on experiment monitoring duty.

My TPT2 is loaned to my bro in law for his studies so he can experience the awesomeness of having a penabled device. Gotta spread the love :D

2. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

If you load Windows 10 on an 8" tablet like my AVN8, do you wind up with only a Metro interface? Can you only run Metro Apps then from that interface? And, if you add a mouse and keyboard to the 8" tablet, do you get a desktop from which you can run legacy apps?

I'm trying to see if I have any interest in this at all.

3. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

There's no pure tablet mode at all at present. Even with the start screen enabled, you end up with windowed Metro apps (with the minimize, maximize, close buttons and everything).

Honestly, if it's a device you regularly use, I don't recommend bothering yet. I'm dual-booting (to a virtual hard disk file) on my Pro 2, but I don't foresee myself using it much for now.

...That being said, it does have the functionality built-in to auto-update the Preview build, so for me I wanted it installed anyway. And I have submitted a ton of Feedback as well.

4. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Should that happen you can switch between the different modes manually. So you can have it anyway you want. The multiple desktops are very useful for small screen devices.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk 4

5. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

Desktopless is not in this Preview, my guess it will be in the January Consumer Preview (that is when the rumored ARM version will be available as well) I'm going to attempt to install on my Dell Venue Pro 8 tonightr....

6. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

7. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

BTW Full Screen MUI Apps are still available click on:
    upload_2014-10-2_11-27-10.png
    And select Full Screen....

spinedoc77 and JoeS like this.
  8. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Not really though, because apps don't remember the fullscreen setting, and you can't actually close from fullscreen without a keyboard or mouse, and there's no fullscreen snapping, and other things.

9. spinedoc77

spinedoc77 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I also will miss a lot from Windows 8, it seems Microsoft had to appease the masses and market stupidity IMO. Stuff that is easy to learn is portrayed in the news as being incredibly difficult and forces MS to make some of these decisions.

I feel as if they threw out many integral touch tablet functions to not "confuse" desktop users, the outcome will be it will make the touch tablet experience worse.

Case in point:
    1) No more closing apps with swipe down, now I have to hunt for a X.
    2) No more true "full" screen apps, now we are stuck with the taskbar.
    3) No more left swiping through programs.
    4) Functions assigned to the taskbar, but with the SP3 the 2nd magnetic keyboard attachment makes it hard to touch the taskbar.

Continuum won't resolve this IMO because what if I want to use my SP3 as a touch tablet but with the keyboard attached? These problems will further be compounded with smaller tablets, how bad will this new UI be on 8" tablets? I know MS is pushing RT onto the smaller tablets, but is this universal? OEM's are still making full windows 8" tablets, I'd assume there is still a market for them and they won't disappear.

10. spinedoc77

spinedoc77 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Great!! OK I can check off one of my complaints off the list. Well kind of, how do we close the app?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.