The Newest GPD Pocket with Z8700 CPU Windows 10 System or Ubuntu

Discussion in 'The Tablet PC Life' started by laozhu, Jan 12, 2017.

1. Mr. Boosh

Mr. Boosh Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

1. I really don't notice the fan noise, but then again, I'm not in the most quiet place right now (in the hospital).

2. Typing is definitely going to take some getting used to. I've been typing on it for less than a week and I'm still making quite a few mistakes, but I'm getting much faster. The keys are more on the smushy side, but there's good tactile feel and plenty of travel, in my opinion.

3. I've never used the nipple until this machine but I'm actually getting used to it and like it.

4. Build quality is fantastic. It is a really sleek machine. There are some build issues for some, from reading the Indiegogo page, but I got a good unit.

5. I can't give you an exact measurement but it's about 160deg if I had to guess. Just about flat with the display.

It has a fan.

kvoram and YVerloc like this.
  2. Yoyo

Yoyo Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm not quite excited enough to rush out and buy one of these, but it makes me really happy to see this type of innovation.

For me, the fan isn't a deal breaker unless it is loud or unreliable. What I especially like are the use of a pointing stick where space is at a premium, Linux availability, and of course size.

What I really want is to see more options available gernerally. If sales are strong we may be witnessing the rebirth of the netbook concept!

3. cmd

cmd Pen Pal - Newbie

Linus tech tips has a review up

4. Mr. Boosh

That's been up for quite awhile. As a little travel device for when you don't need screaming computing power, it's pretty great. I'm kind of in love with this little machine.

I faced the battery connector issue and had to remove the backplate to reseat the connector. They used a pretty flimsy connector and a piece of foam tape to keep it in place.

I'll eventually replace that and probably add some better thermal paste as well.

5. Mr. Boosh

Very happy with this so far, been using it exclusively since I've been in the hospital, perfect size for travel. You can even hold the keyboard like a tablet and thumb type like I'm doing right now while I lay on my back.

There's some few first gen issues, but overall they executed well. If they could squeeze an m7 into this instead of Atom, would've been ridiculous!

kvoram likes this.