The Newest GPD Pocket with Z8700 CPU Windows 10 System or Ubuntu

Discussion in 'The Tablet PC Life' started by laozhu, Jan 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. laozhu

laozhu Pen Pal - Newbie

According to reportly,the GPD gamepad manufacture is preparing their new 7inch win10 mini notebook,it's named GPD pocket.The mini notebook pre-install Windows 10 home edition and Ubuntu 16.04 LTS system ,equipped with Intel Atom X7-Z8700 Cherry Trial processor,1080P touch screen.

2. laozhu

laozhu Pen Pal - Newbie

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Highlights

CPU:Atom Z8750
    RAM:4GB
    ROM:128GB
    Screen: 7inch 1920*1080IPS,One glass solution, gorilla glass 3, support multi-touch
    Battery:7000mAH
    Network:Wireless 802.11 A/Ac/ B/G/N WLAN, Bluetooth 4.1
    Port: USB Type-C, USB- A (USB3.0), mini HDMI, microSD card slot,audio jack.
    Weight:365g
    Shell material: aviation aluminum
    Cooling: air cooling

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

darkmagistric and Marty like this.
  3. thierryb

thierryb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Nice ! Any azerty (French) keyboard?
    Price?
    when?

But the best would be for me a tablet with a good pen technology, probably 8 inch, but I could accept 7", and the same technical characteristics

Is the wifi 5 ghz ? if not, make it, to eliminate interference with bluetooth

4. Mr. Boosh

Mr. Boosh Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I ordered one.

darkmagistric likes this.
  5. Starlight5

Starlight5 W I N T E R B O R N

How's the typing experience, and trackpoint? In my opinion, while the concept is great, such devices are seriously undermined by lack of LTE.

6. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

oh how cute...when closed it literally looks like a mini-mini Macbook. I'm almost tempted to order one just for the cuteness. And to throw OSX on there somehow, put an apple sticker, and just troll the macheads at my local starbucks.

I love the ports.....USB 3.1, HDMI, USB-C, and a headphone jack.....all in that tiny 7 inch frame......again....Why is Microsoft and so many other manufactures of larger devices so damn stingy on giving us ports?

Marty likes this.
  7. Starlight5

Starlight5 W I N T E R B O R N

@darkmagistric who'll buy dongles if all the ports are there? =p

Especially the ridiculously expensive proprietary stuff...

8. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

How much? Kind of tempting.

9. Mr. Boosh

Mr. Boosh Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The indiegogo campaign closed on Monday, and they'll start shipping it to the backers next week. In probably a month or so you'll be able to buy it from gearbest, etc. Price will be $469 on those sites, I believe.

I went back and forth due to lack of LTE. I will be able to carry this thing with me everywhere, and the way my life is right now I'm pretty much always around an extremely high speed wireless connection. So in my use case, the lack of LTE is not a deal breaker, and I could always Hotspot my smartphone in a pinch. I was bummed there was no microSD card support though, that just sucks.

I'm prepared to have a terrible time with the trackpoint (never used them even when I had a ThinkPad laptop for almost 5 years, but I think a combination of the touchscreen and the app TouchMousePointer will work out ok. I'm going to see how handy a full Windows PC that I can actually carry around everywhere I go is.

More of an experiment than anything, but this little guy is more powerful than the Surface 3. It's pretty much what netbooks should have been years ago.

Since the hardware is close to Surface 3, I'm going to try and dual boot Android-x86 or RemixOS. Might be pretty nice. There are times I wished my smartphone had a kickstand (come of Surface Phone), so I think it the laptop form factor will come in handy.

Imagine if they had this with a 360 hinge and pen support. That would solve the issue of the pointer (could just use the pen), and that would be a notetaker that was 100x more powerful usage-wise compared to the Galaxy Notes, in my opinion.

bloodycape, kvoram and Starlight5 like this.
  10. YVerloc

YVerloc Scribbler - Standard Member

Laozhu,you cite 4 gigs of ram, indigogo page says 8. Do you know which is the real amount?

Starlight5 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.