The New XPS 12 Will Be My Next Tablet

Discussion in 'Dell' started by bkydcmpr, Oct 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bkydcmpr

bkydcmpr Scribbler - Standard Member

I used Windows 10 Media Creation Tool to burn the image on DVD, I bet you can image it to thumb drive or external drive for sure. It took me some time to find out how to boot from the external Blu-ray drive, I ended up to reset the BIOS settings to default (not factory), this maybe part of the reason that things got better.

Surprised me is the Windows 10 setup is not compatible with 4K screen, everything is almost unreadable until the 2nd reboot, shame on Microsoft for this one. They should have taken care of this after 2 iteration since Windows 8.

EDIT: don't forget download WIFI driver to an USB-C drive so you can connect to the internet to download other drivers after the clean installation. Nothing would work otherwise, including the microSD reader, it needs driver too.

All of my external storages got USB-C cables, my thumb drive is Transcend with USB-C 3.1, super fast.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2016
  2. Vaga

Vaga Scribbler - Standard Member

Is installing windows from a separate drive any different from reinstalling windows from the recovery menu (I think the option is refresh)?

3. bkydcmpr

bkydcmpr Scribbler - Standard Member

I don't know I can reinstall Windows after the SSD is swapped. I suppose the Windows recovery image is on a separated hidden partition on the original SSD, once you swapped it out, there is nothing you could recover from.

4. Vaga

Ended up using the windows 10 media creation tool as well because Dell installed the wrong edition of windows on the new SSD and the key they gave me wouldn't work.

5. MrPhilo

MrPhilo Pen Pal - Newbie

has anyone installed remix OS 3.0 for PC on this tablet?

6. tabletartist4d

tabletartist4d Scribbler - Standard Member

Ive read thru the forum a bit but was curious what everyones general impression of the device is. I see it for sale for around $700 with the UHD screen which seems like a steal for what it offers. The high res screen, two thunderbolt 3 ports and a wacom pen are very tempting. I have a surface book but dont think its worth the money, often too buggy. Scared it might be all windows devices. Will be returning/selling it soon.
    Is the battery life as bad on the XPS 12 as people say? 3ish hours? Would the FHD screen make a worthy difference?

7. southdunes

southdunes Scribbler - Standard Member

It's an excellent device. I'd recommend the FHD model to offset the limitations of the battery, but don't expect miracles. The screen is still impressive. Look to eBay for deals on both the XPS 12 and the Latitude 7275.

tabletartist4d likes this.
  8. tabletartist4d

tabletartist4d Scribbler - Standard Member

Awesome thanks for the advice! I will probably spring for the 4k model as the battery saving will likely be an hour at best. Will also buy it thru amazon for $700 because im most comfortable with their returns.

9. MSGaldenzi

MSGaldenzi Scribbler - Standard Member

So My screen keeps resetting to 40% brightness... even if I set it to 0 and want to keep it there. Is there any way around this?

Also my wifi tends to crap out after being asleep... I thought this was fixed, but I am fully updated and still experiencing this.

10. Vaga

My device has crapped out for the third time now. Blue screens and now it has lost the ability to boot. I really like using the xps 12 but it is really making itself impossible to use...

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.