The New XPS 12 Will Be My Next Tablet

Discussion in 'Dell' started by bkydcmpr, Oct 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bkydcmpr

bkydcmpr Scribbler - Standard Member

People love the aspect ratio of the screens on IPAD, Microsoft Surface Pro 3/4 and Samsung Galaxy Tabs, when not watching video. It is much more comfortable to read on the 3:2 (1.5:1) screen in portrait mode on Surface Pro 3/4 than 16:9 (1.77:1) screens, that’s why many people thought the 4K screen on Dell’s new XPS 12 is a deal breaker.

I found it might be different this time around, because the new XPS 12 has much thinner bezels on the side. If you image the bezels are even, the aspect ratio would be about 13:8 (1.625:1), and the space is actually more manageable than it sounds in portrait mode. The catch is the screen size will shrink down to 11.7” equivalent. I’d consider this is the primitive form of the “dynamic bezel” from the busted Surface Pro 4 rumor.
    [​IMG]
    When you are watching video, the 16:9 screen gives you way better experiences than 3:2 screens.

Here are the comparison of some common aspect ratios:

• 4K/HD/XPS 12: 1.77:1
    • XPS 12 (Even Bezel): 1.625:1
    • Surface Pro 3/4: 1.5:1
    • A4: 1.4:1
    • U.S. Letter: 1.29:1
    What do you think about the aspect ratio of the new XPS 12 now?

Mesosphere likes this.
  2. bkydcmpr

How Does XPS 12 Compare to Surface Pro 4 When Reading a Magazine?

[​IMG]
    Surface Pro 4 is still more suitable for reading, but by a small margin.
    [EDIT: Corrected the scale]

One more comparison (11/25/2015)
    XPS12_vs_SP4_Magazine.png

Last edited: Nov 25, 2015
  3. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

This doesn't appear to be to scale. The SP4 screen should have a ~5% larger display area than the XPS 12, and it appears smaller in the pictures. Something with an aspect ratio <3:2 viewed in portrait should be larger by a factor of ~24% (area) on the SP4 screen vs the XPS 12.

4. coldness

coldness Pen Pal - Newbie

Does anyone know what kind of stylus this tablet will have? I think I hear dell active, but does that mean wacom or synaptics?

5. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

These days it tends to mean Wacom AES, but I don't think we've seen official confirmation of that.

6. bkydcmpr

A few days ago, Dell listed an "Active Stylus" under XPS 12 and noted "coming soon", I guess that implies the stylus is a new model, not any of those existing models. I wish the newer one would be better than their previous offers, given the experiences they had with the past a few generations, but we never know until someone reviewed it.

7. Yogi76

Yogi76 Pen Pal - Newbie

You can still find it on their site:

http://www.dell.com/us/p/laptops/xps-laptops

http://www.dell.com/us/p/xps-12-9250/pd?p=xps-12-9250&view=pdetails&isredir=true

I have about $600 in Dell Advantage Rewards which will expire on 11/24, so I'm hoping it's available for order by then. I was definitely one of the people disappointed that they didn't go with 3:2, but I need to use those Rewards. If the aspect ratio ends up being a deal breaker, I'll sell it and buy something 3:2.

Vaga likes this.
  8. bkydcmpr

Maybe you cached those pages, both of your links show 0 results. That's what I was talking about.

9. bkydcmpr

The other option I'm watching on is Samsung's SM-W700, rumored 16:10 AMOLED screen. I highly doubt it would have 2 thunderbolts 3 like XPS 12 does, so no one would be superior over the other, I'll choose XPS 12 for the 2 powerful thunderbolts. If Samung does the ports right, it will be the winner because of the screen.

10. Yogi76

Yogi76 Pen Pal - Newbie

They were working as of yesterday when I posted the links. I tried it from a couple of different browsers. They must've been pulled, as well.

If the XPS 12 isn't available for order by the time my Advantage Rewards are going to expire, I'll probably just use them to get an Inspiron 13 7000 Special Edition (7352). Supposedly, it works with the Synaptics Active Pen and gets 9 hours of battery. However, I'm pretty doubtful of that battery life rating since the regular Inspiron 13 (7348) has the same internal specs such as processor and battery size, but is only rated for 6 hours.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.