The New Surface Pro Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by spinedoc77, May 21, 2017.

1. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 Editor-in-Chief of TechAndTiny Senior Member

I will just say that Consumer Reports has gotten a bit more ad-driven in recent years and I find it interesting that JD Power and Associates, a truly completely independent entity, has been singing a totally different tune.

2. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

3. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Not stylish. It lacks the classic tire tread design so sought after in Tech today.

[​IMG]

JoeS, dbrn, Steve S and 4 others like this.
  4. Steve S

<<...It lacks the classic tire tread design so sought after in Tech today...>>

...Odd that you would have a picture so readily at hand...?!??

bloodycape, dstrauss, Azzart and 2 others like this.
  5. convergent

convergent Scribbler - Standard Member

Strange behavior on plane ride yesterday... I was using nSP in my lap with the type cover as I've done before. Only difference was this was a 12 hour long haul flight. It kept flicking up an "auto rotate" dialog then it went away. Probably did this about 20 times or so. It never actually rotated the screen. It was like if I shifted my legs and it tilted a couple of degrees it picked up as rotating. The auto rotate setting that is in the options you get swiping from the left was greyed out, I assume because the type cover was attached.

Twice it also switched to tablet mode while the type cover was on. I just detached and reattached and fixed it.

Any ideas? Possibly might the type cover have a problem that would cause this?

Other than this, my first long trip with the nSP was awesome. My colleague was traveling with a Dell laptop, MacBook, and iPad. I had just the nSP. Life was good!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. spinedoc77

spinedoc77 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Err.. nice pink suitcase

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steve S, Bronsky and dstrauss like this.
  7. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

My experience, yesterday, with the new Surface Pro. I'm now using the i5, 8gb, 256Gb variant which is more than perfect for replacing my Core M Sp4.

-Opened box. Fondled the device and parts until asked, by work colleagues, to stop as they were trying to eat
    -Started the device, processed the usual stuff which includes turning down the volume on Cortana.
    -Reset the device, as I always do with my own stuff, re-installing Windows 10. This took a very, very long time! Seemed odd
    -After logging in again I found multiple office versions installed. It wouldn't remove/un-install them. Hmmm.
    -Started the installation of my fav apps/applications while fighting to remove Candy Crush.
    -Noticed that I couldn't change the local account to an online version to bring across my synced stuff. Odd.
    -Failed to install Knock Out pro 2! Not good at all.
    -Decided to wipe and install a fresh version of Windows 10, from an authentic Windows 10 usb stick.
    -Bang. Everything worked and installed as normal.

It seems that, upon resetting the Surface, it must have damaged or done something odd to the install. Results may vary.

So far it's been stable, notably much faster when compared to the Core M SP4! I now have a thirst for the i7 version but as I live with a long haired female, plus her short haired dog, fan less is required.

JoeS likes this.
  8. convergent

convergent Scribbler - Standard Member

I didn't have any of the problems you described, and I didn't reset or reinstall Windows 10. Was able to remove Office, Candy Crush, etc.. and install from Office 365 Business without a problem. By your installing Windows 10 from a USB stick, I hope you don't have driver problems down the road. I wouldn't think the nSP drivers would be on your USB stick.

9. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Well, you did, until she read this post...

10. Steve S

<<...Just saw an invite from Microsoft for August 15 to meet the newest members of the Surface family. Do you thinks it's just talking about Surface Pro and Laptop, or announcing the next new member?..>>

...Did this event happen? Did anyone participate in it?

I signed up, but never received an invite or a link. In addition, there is (as of late-morning today) no coverage on any of the usual news sites...?!??