The New 'Stylistic Q550'

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by dceggert, Jan 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. benpaulowens

benpaulowens Pen Pal - Newbie

As an Australian I have to defend our TVC honour :)

I think you'll find that the commercials are German, for a European audience!

2. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

oh no, I know what they were trying to convey, but it still seemed pretty stupid. The Ipad guy was sitting right next to the Fujitsu guy, and anyone who has an Ipad knows that you can't use a regular pen. And since all he did was scratch the screen, he just came off more of bigger idiot for ruining a $500 toy. If he was trying to look capable, he could have pretended to write regularlly on it, which would still have been silent for the most part.

I mean, I love the commercials ending with the guy throwing the Ipad down in failure, but it just seemed a really stupid way to convey the failure.

What would have worked better would have been to show the Fujitsu guy writing in nice neat script and having Windows accuratly convert it to text, while the Ipad guy scipples with a pogo stylus and has nothing but horriable looking chicken scratch to show.

But still, its not as bad as one of their other commericals for the Q550...they have one where a guy is licking the screen....like wtf.

Its even more dissapointing because this is Fujitsu...Tablets are what they are known for. Even for a foreign market, this seems to be completely the wrong advertising style.

3. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

4. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...A site listing the q550 for 'preorder' found...>>

...Gee. And it already has a 3-1/2 star rating, too...

5. Agent 9

Agent 9 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Sure the pen itself is quiet, but I know there is a app for the ipad [it was a 'drawing app', a joke-of-a-drawing program anyways] that makes the exact noise they had when he was drawing on the ipad (I saw it in use before in passing when perusing videos on youtube -I lol'd when I saw it, but I can't seem to find it now; rest assured it is real!) They were just making fun of the ipad compared to a real Tablet PC (and they did a decent job)

I do wonder if apple will make them take the videos down for 'negative advertising' or some nonsense

It really seems like a interesting device, it possibly has a place in my collection (the q550 that is, never will I get a ipad)

6. mittmark

mittmark Scribbler - Standard Member

I think the Conference Room commercial is right on target and funny. The other two commercials, I agree, are stupid and miss the point. The only rational explanation is Fujitsu wants to invoke a reaction, negative or otherwise. Just get a reaction and generate YouTube plays.

7. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Not if I get there first :D (Damn, I was really hoping HP would get here first, not Fujitsu who, despite being consumer-hostile, seems to be listening better to the W7 slate market. :rolleyes: )

Seriously, though, the first one's yours, Matt :D

8. sudermatt

sudermatt Scribbler - Standard Member

I won't accept charity...just because I "call" shotgun doesn't mean I get it...in my family, you gotta be the first to the door.;)

9. dceggert

I did not pick up on this but according to Meinolf at Fujitsu on their blog site, in response to a question, states that the screen of the q550 is 16:10. This would give a bit more width in portrait mode (probably .1" but still wider dog-gone it) than 16:9.

Here is the post:

"Tuesday, 3. May 2011 um 10:22 am

@MM:
    Yes, the STYLISTIC Q550 is based on the same duosense digitizer technology as the LIFEBOOK T580, thus both support a precise, pressure sensitive pen plus a 4-finger capacitive multiple-touch screen.

But it is not &#8220;exact same&#8221;, for example the form factor of the display and subsequently the capacitive touch screen is different:
    - STYLISTIC Q550: 10.1&#8243;, 16:10.
    - LIFEBOOK T580: 10.1&#8243;, 16:9.

For details, please refer to the published data-sheets of these products."

10. dceggert

For those of you who need to know (like me) I estimated the screen size using the reference size 10.1" diagonal screen, the ratio (16:10 and 16:9), and Pythagorean's Theorim and I calculated an estimated screen size.

16:9 4.95" x 8.80"
    16:10 5.35" x 8.56"

So that puts the 16:10 screen .40" wider and .24" shorter in portrait mode than a 16:9 screen. Not quite TC1100 territory (4:3 screen or 16:12) but better than just another 16:9 device!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.