The New 'Stylistic Q550'

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by dceggert, Jan 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Elmstrom

Elmstrom Pen Pal - Newbie

Its not an 12" its 10", and how can 4:3 be perfect for reading pdf? I like widescreen in portrait mode, since you can view full page with no bars.

2. bluespire

bluespire Pen Pal - Newbie

Yeah, I realized I was wrong about the size not too long after posting.

4:3 is the perfect size, because most documents are printed at, or close to, 4:3 ratio, such as letter-sized PDFs, when viewed with the "full-screen" option. You are correct that widescreen allows more room for top and bottom toolbars, but the document will still have black bars if viewed in full screen. Your effective diagonal viewing area is drastically reduced when viewing full size documents on widescreen displays in portrait mode. If you don't believe me, go to bestbuy and view the same PDF on an iPad and the Xoom (which I think is 10") and tell me which is easier to read on.

3. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...4:3 is the perfect size...>>

...I have to agree that I also think that 4:3 is a more appropriate size for working with documents, if you like looking at whole pages (which I do).

Unfortunately, I think we all know that the design of current tablets is being driven by the relative availability of wide-screen LCD panels...

4. bluespire

bluespire Pen Pal - Newbie

I don't think that laptops are built using what is simply availble, the problem is that LCD manufactures are producing what is "popular", and right now, there is an insane drive for everything to be HD, thanks to f'ing entertainment industry, and people not wanting to "deal" with black bars on their screen (oh the horror!). Seriously, it doesn't matter is 4:3 is more productive on a small screens, people are just blinded, and the laptop manufactures get screwed out of choices.

Did you know that NO ONE makes a LED backlit SXGA+ screen? I checked. I could not find any that were not old product with CCFL for backlights. No one seems to care anymore. So we are stuck with low resolution screens in a crappy format for small displays. (caveat, I think widescreen is fine for large displays, at least 17" and up)

5. sudermatt

sudermatt Scribbler - Standard Member

If the touch+pen model is $800 or less, I'm buying it Immediatement!

6. mittmark

mittmark Scribbler - Standard Member

7. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

what a horrid commercial. Capacitive pens are almost silent when used on a Ipad, and even if your foolish enough to use a real pen, it wouldn't make that kind of noise. And given how many Slate 500 users have complained about the loud noise with Ntrig Digital Pencil, Its really stupid for Fujitsu to use the pen noise as the joke in the commercial. They could have showcased the pressure sensitivity, hovering accuracy, or hand writing recognition, but no, they went for a useless noise joke instead.

8. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

omg...on their youtube channel they have a slew of...really bad commercials for the Q550........what is their marketing/advertising department smoking?

9. Steve S

10. Steve S

<<...what a horrid commercial...>>

...I can't disagree with that. But it looks to me like these commercials were intended for a non-US market (maybe Australia?). Perhaps in that market, these commercials would be better accepted...?

<<...even if your foolish enough to use a real pen, it wouldn't make that kind of noise...>>

...I think you give the commercial too much credit. My interpretation is that the "iPad guy" is trying to look as capable as the "Fujitsu guy," and that he is using an ordinary pen on his iPad. The sound is the ordinary pen scratching the glass iPad screen, like a glass cutter...

It still might be a horrid commercial, but I admit that I smiled at the ending...!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.