The New 'Stylistic Q550'

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by dceggert, Jan 27, 2011.

1. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

2. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

That's definitely not an N-trig pen. (although it does sound like it) but It looks alot more like a Wacom pen.

And that 10 inch screen...looks like the 10.4 inch screen dimensions the HP TC1100 had which is superior for Portrait orientation use. The bezel around it is huge though, this thing will easily have the footprint of a 12 inch tablet. but ifs its Wacom penabled with a 10.4 screen, I'll be the first one to order it.

3. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

well, after looking back at all the CES coverage, I have a bad feeling this will indeed be N-trig. That must be a new type of digital pencil, pity it still has that loud sound.

4. dceggert

It is possible that the Q550 will have a unique N-trig DuoSense pen design. The T580 has a pen silo for storage. The Q550 shown at CES does not. So the design will not be limited by what has to fit and clip into a holder.

I did look closer at the video after you mentioned this and it appears to have a pocket clip and a bump on the back suggesting a potential eraser.

5. papi

papi Scribbler - Standard Member

The digitizer won't be a Wacom. See comment 4 from someone presumably from Fujitsu:

Face2Fujitsu Blog Expert Talk: STYLISTIC Q550 – the Fujitsu Slate concept

Specs from here:
    Fujitsu Stylistic Q550 review, specs, price | NEW BEST GADGETS

Optional pen? This kinda explains the lack of mention of it in the CES 2011 video I saw.

I'm a big fan of Fujitsu ultraportables (owned the P2000 and P5010) and expect to see another quality product execution from them in the Q550.

6. SlantNGo

SlantNGo Pen Pal - Newbie

7. dceggert

The comments at CES put this at 1.7 lbs, presumably with the 2-cell battery.

8. dceggert

Yes, I am not sure what is up with the 'pen optional' but as someone pointed out to me earlier the Motion web page states the same thing for the CL900. That device has a silo and it would not make much sense to provide that and not have a pen come standard. Maybe the 'optional pen' is a reference to the 'input method?'

9. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...I am not sure what is up with the 'pen optional'...>>

...Well, again, one of the design features of the N-trig digital pencil is that the system supports a "pen optional" approach. I don't know if this implies that the Q550 uses N-trig, but the pen optional approach certainly fits...

10. dceggert

Steve,
    What I am thinking is that the companies are trying to market their 'touch' capabilities first and simply add that using a pen is 'optional.' It would not make sense from a manufacturing point of view to make devices with and without the digitizers especially since the N-trig system is a single layer providing both touch and pen input.

In my opinion, and time will tell, the crop of slates coming out with N-trig DuoSense technology will be pen capable. It is my opinion that the marketing is just calling it 'pen input optional' to promote the touch capability.

It is just too bad that Fujitsu has not demonstrated that it will have pen storage in the Q550. The device shown at CES was reported to be in 'final form' and it did not have pen storage.