The New Slate Keypad/Folio: the good, the bad and the ugly!

Discussion in 'HP Slate' started by Bronsky, Dec 8, 2011.

1. Hattori Hanzo

Hattori Hanzo Scribbler - Standard Member

The problem with cloud stuff when it comes to security for me are two things.

For one, they surely are out of business if they get hacked - and it gets public. So would you trust them to tell you about a security breach when they can try to hide it?
    Another thing is that you don't know about their business perspective. I can vividly imagine that some are willing to just take the risk of getting burned in hell for short term profit.

The risk I personally fear the most is the non hacker inside security breach. So, you know someone working in a company that does data storage and has administrative access. How much do you need to offer or how well do you need to know him? Or is he trustworthy in the first place?
    From a professional and a personal perspective I don't trust anybody, based on experience. And the problem with this scenario is that it does happen but no one can really tell how often and with how sensitive data.

So yeah, if your data is really confidential and critical I wouldn't take the risk of big cloud storage.

2. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

Yup,
    And then there are recent examples of un-hackable hacks...

1. Sony Playstation Network
    2. Nintendo Network
    3. Nintendo Network after security updates
    4. Symantec - the 'security people' got hacked just last week

So would I trust 'Joe's Cloud Storage' on some offshore server? No way!

3. e-schreiber

e-schreiber ƒ(x) / fashion Senior Member

I'm old-school and have never trusted cloud services with my files or social networks with my info. To sync files between my TM2 and desktop PC I use FreeFileSync. It's a free open source project.

4. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...your risk of being compromised is very very slim. So much so as to not even been an issue...>>

...Except that China, Russian and at least a few other countries conduct state-sponsored hacking, and in doing this, they bring their full national capabilities to bear. Granted, they likely don't care about Dan's company documents... maybe... but I believe its almost certain that near-term cloud storage operations will be compromised if only as "practice runs"...

5. Agent 9

Agent 9 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I wouldn't trust such a service normally, and with the rash of recent copyright/ pirating crackdowns, proposed bills, legal problems and other similar things (I think there was a case very recently where some Judge or something ruled that if you have a very secure passed and hardware encryption that you have to unlock it for federal prosecutors to see what is hidden within if they ask for a case or some such), the likelihood of a 'legal' breach as well as the chance or an illegal one by our favorite 'big brother' or even a group of hackers (either to access the goodies stored, or to simply bring them down and ruin them or whatever), or possibly a current or ex-employee.... its kinda like how I wouldn't give my wallet to some random person at my campus and say 'hold onto the wallet until tomorrow, I'm trusting you to not run off with it and steal my cash and identity then open a fraudulent account in my name and all that stuff'... sorry, no car analogy :)

Well, I'm paranoid; sometimes with grounds sometimes not, I don't yet know which category this will fall under but I'd rather not find out myself, that's up to you guys ;)

6. 2disbetter

2disbetter Function over Form

I too choose to be paranoid. But I recognize that I am, and that the amount of real threat out there is slim.

I should probably further clarify. If you have anything you do not want others to see, you shouldn't back it up to the 'cloud'.

I use mine for documents, and books/pdfs. Nothing that I would mind someone else seeing really. I would never back up software I'm working on to something like dropbox. (unless it was open source/commons, etc.)

I think what would be ideal to me, is a syncing program that allows you to sync to a NAS. In this way you don't need to have both computers on (which is just inconvenient no matter how you slice it) The NAS would constantly receive the most current incremental updates. You could even make the NAS remotely available via a slew of ssh tunneling/vpn. If you had too. The ideal way to do that would be to have a router accessible, with a script to enable port access to the NAS via whatever mechanism you prefer, and then use the router to run another script to disable those ports and mechanism. Depending on internet speeds on both ends, and the size of your documents your window of vulnerability is significantly decreased, while still allowing true remote syncing. (the other caveats here would be that the router would need to be locked down with ssh keys and tunneling as well, and that the network your NAS is located on is isolated from any other assets at your residence.)

2d

7. Hattori Hanzo

Hattori Hanzo Scribbler - Standard Member

It's interesting what people here use for syncing.

My approach to solve most computing problems is a bit different, as I basically have a classic corporate network infrastructure at home, for just two people and the fun of having it, with domain controllers, exchange, dedicated backup servers and all such crap. I see that this is not a good option for most people, as the knowledge needed is nothing for a weekend, a dedicated server running 24/7 guzzles power and licenses are a topic on its own...

I would have some ideas, though, that could work very well without expensive equipment.
    Many consumer grade routers allow for VPN access these days and some of them I'd even trust. One option would be e.g. getting a Linksys model and using DDWRT for SSH or OpenVPN access with a key file and a passphrase through a DynDNS account.
    The setup is a bit more complicated than just a few mouse clicks, but it should be doable and once that's done it just keeps working.

This way you get reasonably secure remote access to your home network. The next step is getting a NAS. I personally got myself an Airport Extreme for the sole reason that its NAS throughput is rather good, namely above 10MB/s in both directions.
    Use the Windows offline files with that and make sure to connect the drive via IP and not via name for less hassle with VPN access.

Voila, remote sync acquired. In basically the way 2disbetter described it.

For file syncing in general I've used robocopy since a long time. The entire offline file stuff in Windows is basically just a GUI for robocopy. And with some work outside that GUI you can have quite some fun and get nice features. The event system introduced with Vista e.g. allows for tasks to be triggered when certain network connections are available. So besides syncing based on time passed, you can also have a sync started whenever you have a connection to your home network.
    That's what I'm basically using to trigger syncs between the various mobile computers I use. When I get home, I just switch whatever machine I had with me on for a minute and that's it. The same goes for leaving the house. Switch it on and on the way downstairs and while putting on shows it syncs anything that could be of interest.

Of course this all has one really big downside that does not matter to me. You can't just send someone a link or create a share online for convenient access.

8. sjaywu

sjaywu Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm a big fan of Live Mesh, use it across my PC and slate. Wish there was a mobile client for Windows Phone 7 though.

9. 2disbetter

2disbetter Function over Form

Does anyone know why HP doesn't seem to be selling the bluetooth keyboard case directly?

Also does anyone have a good link for a reputable place selling them?

Edit: I stand corrected.
    I couldn't navigate to it from the Slate 2 product page, but a google fu on slate bluetooth keyboard case gave me the link. I would think HP might want to correct that.

http://h30094.www3.hp.com/product.asp?sku=10395573&mfg_part=A1C64AA&pagemode=ca

for those interested.

2d

10. angelix

angelix Pen Pal - Newbie

Just an update on my order made on the 13th of december...2011....

Insight UK keeps pushing the delivery blaming HP of the delay.

is there any way to understand/verify what is the real situation?

This morning thwy said the delivery is rescheduled for the beginning of March, but on the HP website it states the 19th of Feb...

I don't really have words to express my dissatisfaction, if I worked this way with my business I would not last 8 weeks...

Aside of Bronsky, has ANYBODY else managed to get one?