The new King?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Brian, Dec 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daring

Daring Moderator

kingjimmi, you indicate that you are waiting for a desktop replacement tablet and I am curious why. Most desktop replacement notebooks are heavy and have rather poor battery life. Not that it really could be any other way, you don't get something for nothing and a high end CPU/GPU and fast hard drives and big screens draw power. As far as I am concerned, and I freely admit I may be in the minority, holding a tablet that weighs in at 5+ lbs and only lasts 2-3 hours on a charge really won't suit the niche I think tablets are suited for. Frankly I think that the sweet spot for tablets is in the 3 lb range with 6+ hours of battery.

2. Brian

Brian Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

To Gateway, their quality is a little bit of a concern and you're right, the entry level price point is low, but configured they're as or more expensive than the competition. On the eMachines front, Gateway bought them, not the other way around and eMachines notebooks are no longer in production, so I don't think that's a factor. The one thing I'd like Gateway to do is simplify their naming scheme, but they like it as is, I already tried.

3. Thomas.k

Thomas.k Pen Pal - Newbie

Maybe tablet pcs will never be a real desktop replacement, at least, until we have the same market share as the notebooks.
    Lately with the Speed vs Heat of the desktop processors, the slow adoption of dual core, Wi-Fi and mobility thing, Notebooks found a gap that can hook the consumers.
    Notebook Desktop Replacements are made to power users that are making that transition and are ready to give up mobility because they don't need to move too much. And that type of user is a small share.

For Tablets as Desktop Replacements its very hard to say that will really happen, in a short period, because tablets are meant to a bussiness user, to a medic, to a student, to an artist and to people who simply like technology (like me). All of these people need mobility, save in some situations of the last two. An artist, for example, need a bigger screen to draw or us who love to have the "last machine".
    So thats is too hard for manufacturers made a Desk Replacemant Tablet, the tablet market is still small, even small than the notebook market... Although if there is a Gateway with the last GPU that is not hot and don't make me get muscles, will made us very happy, it's still just us... not the whole market.

Maybe in a far future...

4. kingjimmi

kingjimmi Pen Pal - Newbie

The reason I'm waiting for DTR tablets is because I really do believe that tablet pcs are here to stay. Eventually, the economics of the situation will become better. You'll see the tablet interface in every single laptop. There will be no distinction between tablets and laptops.

For this to happen though, Wacom needs to shift to a high volume/low margin game. If they can look towards the future and decrease the price of their solution to the point where it'll be a no brainer to add tablet functionality to every single laptop, well I believe we'll all be better off. Wacom will realize more profits and users will have the advantage of yet one more interface option. Windows is already gearing towards this as they include tablet functionality into "Longhorn".

Anyways, back to the DTR thing. Tablets are at their best in the ultraportable form factor. That's why all the companies producing tablets primarily focus on this type of product. Gateway is an exception as they're going for a more affordable solution targeted mainly at students who have notoriously small pocketbooks. So as I see it, when tablet tech finally makes it to DTR notebooks, that's when I think my dream will be realized . . . tablet tech will be integrated into every new laptop.

Of course, maybe DTR's will not be the last segment of laptops to get tablet funtionality. As Thomas points out, people that get DTR's are the ones that really love their toys. And tablet functionality is the newest toy. Make a DTR and I'm sure you'll have a lot of the power users running over to play. I guess I'd have to admit I fall into this category more than that idealistic pap I was spouting above.

5. poetdante

poetdante Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

first off what are DTRs? second I use my r15 as a desktop replacement. it is more than adequate for my purposes

6. kingjimmi

kingjimmi Pen Pal - Newbie

DTR==desktop replacement.

I'm happy you can use your R15 as a DTR. For me and a lot of others it can't. It just doesn't have the power graphics-wise to be a true replacement for me.

7. Daring

Daring Moderator

Sorry, I should have been more clear. Most DTR notebooks have large screens, beefy processors, and lots of memory. All of this makes them large and heavy. New technologies may be able to reduce the weight some, but a 17" screen is just going to be big by definition. Holding a tablet with a 17" screen in your arm could be quite a bit of a trick. Further, and let's be real here, even if they make some huge technological advances in the next N years, the "true" DTRs will always come with a size/weight penalty. You just don't get something for nothin.

8. poetdante

poetdante Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

yes. I know what you mean. I have a large toshiba notebook. It has a large wide screen but the beast weighs 9lb. Though, it does have a 2.8ghtz processor.

9. Brian

Brian Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Well, Napa comes out January 5th, along with the first batch of notebooks running dual core CPUs. It will only be a matter of time before Tablet's offer this processor as well. My guess is Toshiba will be first to market, since they already have a good form factor for it and a track record of innovating with Tablet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.