1. You may have noticed that TabletPCReview looks a little different. That's because we've moved to a new, streamlined platform, XenForo. Have yourself a look around and engage with your peers. Tips for completing basic tasks are here. Should you encounter any bugs or issues, please post them in this thread, so that we can prioritize and fix them. And feel free to let us know your opinions of the new site.

The most powerful tablet ever.

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by ozzy00100, Dec 5, 2007.

1. ozzy00100

ozzy00100 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi there,

What is the most powerful laptop Tablet PC on the market with a screen that is greater than 13 inches.

Thanks
  2. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

http://pro.mpccorp.com/store/configurator.asp?config=529666088

It's a small business version of Gateway C-140. Up to 2.4GHz Santa Rosa C2D, ATi X2300 HD GPU (rather ****ty, but best you can get for a TPC), up to 4GB of RAM (they charge you $700 for that so you are better off getting the same kind of SODIMMs from Newegg for $100 and installing yourself), a 7200RPM HDD option, WXGA 14.1" LCD and Wacom UD digitizer.
  3. quantum

quantum Scribbler - Standard Member

That would be the Gateway C140XL, which has dedicated (but not DX10) graphics and a 14" screen. If you go for integrated, I would say Lenovo x61t or Fujitsu 4220 (depending on your priorities between dual mode touchscreen and optical drive+touchpad). Other than that, there are companies that make custom digitizers for specific notebook screen sizes that you could apply onto a regular notebook screen, which means you could in theory get a quad core Sager with SLi, a top notch XPS or Alienware and just apply the digitizer on the screen. Unfortunately I don't know who exactly these companies are, I've just stumbled across them on various youtube videos demonstrating 3D desktops/Beryl/Bumptop etc...
  4. nikecar

nikecar Scribbler - Standard Member

see the post above you.. The XL version is STILL underpowered compared to the customizable models at MPC's site.

There you can get a T7700 processor which will beat the T5450 processor on the XL model.
  5. ozzy00100

ozzy00100 Pen Pal - Newbie

Shogmaster, thank you for that site, which was incredibly useful, and fairly priced too, for what they offered.

Quantum, thanks for the response too.

Is MCP categorically the best place to get the most powerful tablet ? ( I think it is, from what I've seen)

Kind Regards

Ozzy
  6. quantum

quantum Scribbler - Standard Member

Well, I'd say it's the next best thing to e-bay and sellers here. Definitely more reliable though (than e-bay that is).

@nikecar - thanks for the correction, I should pay more attention to the info I provide, as I have often failed to differentiate between the c140 series and the offerings at the mpc site...
  7. nikecar

nikecar Scribbler - Standard Member

check also the small business and educationmodels. Pick what is cheapest.
  8. milowerx

milowerx Pen Pal - Newbie

Is this still true? MPC still has the most powerful tablet?
  9. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

Right now i think its considered the 2nd most powerful to the HP tx2500,(b/c of the ATI HD 3200 Graphic card it has) and there is no need to buy the Gateway from MPC. You have more customization from MPC, but they are more expensive.

You can buy the Gateway c142xl (with Penryn processor) directly from Gateway.
  10. milowerx

Yes I was just at the Gateway site and saw that i can get a Gateway® C-142XL for like $1200! That's incredible!
    Would you know about it's digitizer? I have an Motion LE1600 and I love how it draws but the processor and graphics plus the memory is not enough for my current needs. Would the Gateway® C-142XL be better than that or at least the same?
  11. DRTigerlilly

It uses a wacom digitizer, but i've seen it mentioned that the model suffers from Parallax. I think the Gateway would blow away your LE1600, but it also will be heavier @ 6.5 lbs
  12. milowerx

Thanks for the info!
    What do you mean by Parallax? It scrolls weird? As for weight I can live with that if it is much better at performance. I have yet to find a review of this computer though on the web. Is it new?
  13. DRTigerlilly

parallax means the ink appearing mm's off the actual point where the pen touches the screen, you recalibrate the tablet to fix it, but apparently that happens more often on the gateway than other wacom tablets, not sure why. The only difference between the c142xl & the c140xl/E295 is that its using the Penryn Processor & had SP1. So any review of those will essentially be the same.
  14. atom

atom Pen Pro - Atomic Member

The Gateway C142XL is the most powerful. Rumor has it that Gateway MIGHT be planning a new Gatway G10XL with ATI 3800XT though. (Take it with a grain of salt.. its doubtful, probably just something some fan made up). If it is true, it will be coming out in August.
  15. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Well you can tell them to keep their crap if they want to keep feeding us a 14" 1280x768 or 1280x800 BS.
  16. origamikid89

origamikid89 Pen Pal - Newbie

Where did that come from? I can find nothing, even with google/dogpile, about a G10XL. Another thing: PC Microworks shows an upcoming convertible. Exciting because they only seem to sell high end GPU computers. Any other rumored high(er) graphics tablets?