The Modern UI (aka start screen, aka metro) tutorial Microsoft should have provided

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Mitlov, Nov 28, 2012.

1. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

I can't find a Win8 tips and tricks thread, so I'll just share here. It doesn't happen every day that I figure out a new trick in Win8. :vbeek:

When you receive an attachment in Outlook desktop and outlook is in full screen, you can drag the attachment to the lower right corner of the screen. Due to 'peek' this will show the desktop, where you can then drop the file. Amazing? Of course there are other ways of saving the attachment on the desktop, but this is pretty convenient.

2. JoeS

I can't believe I'm still finding out new things about Windows.. Today by accident I figured out that in Explorer, alt+number activates the quickaccess toolbar item with that number. I should have known, because single pressing alt will overlay all possible key combinations, but still.

3. JoeS

Another one of these: I just accidentally found out that hitting alt-space in a metro offers snap options. For example, alt-space then 'r' snaps the app to the right. I like using the edge gesture though, nice and intuitive.

4. JoeS

Incredible, how did I ever miss that ctrl-shift-esc opens the task manager?! And here I was happy that right clicking the taskbar offered it as an option.

As an aside, rest in peace, ModernUI.

Chris_Kez likes this.
  5. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

I'm contemplating reinstalling Windows 8.1 on my two tablets.

Twitter is to communications as haiku is to literature.

6. JoeS

For now that still makes some sense, but since MS kind of broke the UI I assume more and more apps will lose those handy edge swipe gestures. I've decided to move on and live with the sadness.. :)

7. Mr. Boosh

Mr. Boosh Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Good choice, still rocking it on my hybrid. IE Metro still the best tablet browser.

8. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Having stalled on installing 10 on my HP laptop, it forced an installation yesterday, and that bricked the computer. So now I have a factory reset HP running Windows 7. I find myself partial to it. For me personal in PC has always meant that I am in control. I find I'm losing that more and more.

Twitter is to communications as haiku is to literature.

9. Mr. Boosh

Mr. Boosh Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Poor decision on Microsoft's part. When you reinstall, hide update KB3035583, that's W10 installer. You'll have to hidevit 3-4 times as it keeps reappearing, but then it'll stay hidden.

Chris_Kez and Kumabjorn like this.