The Modern UI (aka start screen, aka metro) tutorial Microsoft should have provided

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Mitlov, Nov 28, 2012.

1. mricchio

mricchio Pen Pal - Newbie

Sweet an all-in-one place to learn the in's and out's of windows 8. I love the OS but without a few tips and tricks, the only way i learn is from playing around with the os, thanks bro.

2. BK_NC

BK_NC Pen Pal - Newbie

Anyone new to Windows 8 on the tablet, I would highly recommend robaxx's channel on Youtube. I've posted his video review of the Asus Vivotab Smart. About 25 mins in he starts using the tablet and going over Windows 8. He does several follow up videos that delve very deeply into using the Metro UI and into configuring the desktop task bar for touch use along with configuring the desktop version of OneNote best for touch and a capacitive stylus.

My Windows 8 tablet will be arriving this week from Dell but I've already learned a ton from robaxx's videos on all the different touch gestures and features of Windows 8.

I've only posted one of his videos here.

[video=youtube_share;6FyAfkWyUJ4]http://youtu.be/6FyAfkWyUJ4[/video]

This link is to his channel if you want to see the other videos. Again I highly recommend them to any new Windows 8 tablet owner.

robaxx - YouTube

3. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

A quick way to close the previous Metro app you were in: swipe clockwise in the lower left corner of the screen, starting and ending outside the screen edge, i.e. in approximately a quarter circle. This is the same as dragging the previous app into view by swiping from the left, followed by a 'drag to the bottom' gesture, just faster. To close all other apps just repeat this a few times.

Discovered this a few months ago by accident wondering why I kept losing open apps, and it turned out I did exactly this gesture as I was thumbing through recent apps.

4. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

5. Steve S

6. Steve S

7. JoeS

Unexpected benefit of the return of the start button in WIn 8.1: you can now access the WinKey-X menu using touch by long-pressing on the start button. Yes!

8. al404

al404 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi i post some question i was a windows user under XP

When I log I see a strange square character on the left of space bar. But can't understand what it is for

Is not clear to me if on full windows tablet options changed from metro will be changed on standard windows too

It doesn't seem possible to increase metro fonts.

9. JoeS

Just found out that in Win 8.1 you can reduce the wait time needed to fully close an app. Right now you can already drag down from top to bottom to close an app, and if you drag down but stop and hold near the bottom of the screen, the app flips around after two seconds, which removes it from memory. Turns out, there is a registry hack to reduce the wait time. I set mine to 300ms, and it's awesome. Another niggle squashed!

[Guide] How to Close Metro Apps Permanently in Windows 8.1? - AskVG

Last edited: Jul 17, 2014
  10. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

I've searched high and low for a simple method to move an open MUI app to a different monitor with a multi monitor setup. The only method I've coma across so far mentions Win+PgUp or Win+PgDn. However those don't work on either my HP laptop or my SP2. Right now I'm limited to go through the Start View and "reopen" the app this will minimize it on the Taskbar ad then when I tap the icon the app will open on the other monitor. There has to be a smoother method.