The Modern UI (aka start screen, aka metro) tutorial Microsoft should have provided

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Mitlov, Nov 28, 2012.

1. gcoupe

gcoupe Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

HP have developed a Windows 8 tutorial (including videos) that is now available for any Windows 8 PC in the Windows Store.

Just search for "Getting started with Windows 8" in the Store

2. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

The reviews of that app nicely show the challenges that people are facing. It's getting a 2.5 star rating, but mostly because the reviewers are upset with Win8.

3. JoeS

Another nice feature: if you just need to add one or two numbers or symbols using the on-screen keyboard, you can do so while holding the &123 key. Releasing that key will then bring back the qwerty view.

Example, to type Windows 8 rocks you can type Windows, hold &123, touch the 8, release &123, type rocks

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2013
  4. gcoupe

gcoupe Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Just like on Windows Phone. Nice to see some consistency across platforms for a change...

5. JoeS

Pinning and reordering searches

A couple of things about pinning searches: in the search charm you can long press on any of the app-specific searches and choose 'pin' to have it show up just under the default searches. Reordering those pinned searches works differently from tile sorting: long press and drag does NOT work. You need to drag left or right to make the pinned search icon movable.

Searching Outlook contacts

One of the things I miss in Win8 is a way to quickly search for outlook contacts. In Win7 I used to be able to hit WinKey, type 'Frankie', hover over Frankie's Outlook contact search result, and read his phone number from the tooltip.

In Win8 the closest to that I've come up with is connecting the People app to my Outlook Exchange server, and pinning the people app search to the search charm. Now I can hit WinKey, type Frankie, touch the 'People' search, tap the found 'Frankie' item, and optionally tap 'details' if the needed info is not displayed.

Not as good as Win7 but workable. Much better would be if the People app would preview the entire details of the top result.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2013
  6. WellThen

WellThen Pen Pal - Newbie

A suggestion for the guide in the first post. In the section on using Win 8 snap, mention parenthetically that snap requires a minimum horizontal resolution of 1366. I've known multiple folks who thought Win 8 was buggy, when in reality, their display fell below this threshold.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

7. JoeS

8. scotto

scotto Pen Pal - Newbie

Nice thread. But for the record since I can't post on that site, tip # 54 "Speed Up Scrolling by Reducing Friction" doesn't work anymore; the registry key is gone.

9. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...the registry key is gone...>>

scot: Perhaps I misunderstand your post. The registry key is there ( HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Wisp\Touch ), it just isn't expanded as you typically see them...???

10. JoeS

I think this hasn't been mentioned yet: you can middle-click to close Metro apps in the left bar.

Examples:

To quickly close the most recent 'Metro' app, throw your mouse pointer into the top left corner and without moving the pointer middle-click or wheel-click your mouse.

To close the next most recent one you'd first have to move the mouse out of the corner and repeat the same steps.

If you have many open, go to the top left, drag down, and middle click on the thumbnails of the apps you want to close.