The Modern UI (aka start screen, aka metro) tutorial Microsoft should have provided

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Mitlov, Nov 28, 2012.

1. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Microsoft's tutorial video is a farce, and I've decided that if you want something done right, you need to do it yourself. Please let me know if I've missed anything. Once I've got a complete list, I'll go ahead and make a 5-10 minute YouTube video that people new to the Modern UI (aka start screen, aka metro) can watch if they want to know how to use it.

This is NOT a thread about whether people prefer the start screen or the desktop. This is a thread that provides a tutorial so that people new to Windows 8 know how to get the most out of the Modern UI if they choose to use it.

In an app

With touch, swipe from the bottom to bring up program-specific toolbars, like the URL and tabs bars for Internet Explorer. Swipe from the right side to bring up the charms for in-app searches and app settings.

With keyboard and mouse, right-click the bottom of the screen to bring up the toolbars. With the keyboard, press Win+C to bring up charms (for searches and settings), or put the mouse in the right-top or right-bottom corners.

To close the app from within the app

With touch, swipe from the top of the screen to the bottom.

With the mouse, move the cursor to the top (it changes to a hand) and drag to the bottom.

With a keyboard, alt-F4.

To close the app from outside the app

With touch, move your finger in then out from the left bezel to bring up a list of open apps. Drag one you want to close to the bottom of the screen.

With a mouse, top-left corner then down (or bottom-left corner and up) to bring up a list of open apps, then right-click on one and select "close." Or drag it to the bottom of the screen.

To go to the homescreen without closing the app

With touch, swipe from the right for charms and hit Start.

With the keyboard, hit the Win key.

With the mouse, left-click in the bottom left corner.

Multitasking

With touch, flick from the left side to cycle through recent apps. Move your finger from the left bezel inward then back out to bring up a list of open apps; you can then tap the one you want.

With keyboard, hold "alt" and press tab to flip through open apps; release "alt" to select one.

With the mouse, left-click in the top-left corner to cycle through recent apps. Or go to the top-left corner then down (or bottom-left corner and up) to bring up a list of open apps and click one.

Split-screen (snap) multitasking

With touch, from within an app, you can snap it to the left or right by dragging down from the top bezel then moving left or right. It will stay snapped when you open another app from the start screen. You can grab a snapped app and move it to the other side or the center, or you can move the vertical border between two apps to maximize one of the two. To snap an app that's not currently on-screen, bring up the left-hand list (in-then-out from the left bezel) and drag it to the left or right side of the screen.

With keyboard and mouse, you can cycle the main open app from maximized to snap right to snap left with Win+[period]. Or you can grab it with the mouse cursor at the top of the screen and drag it to the right or left. For apps not displayed, bring up the left-hand list of apps (mouse to the top-left and down, or bottom-left and up) and right click on one of them to select snap left or snap right.

Customizing the start screen

With touch, flick a tile upward to select it to change its size or un-pin it. Swipe from the bottom of the screen to bring up "all apps" if there are apps that are not pinned that you want to pin. To move an app to another group, drag it upward than move it. To name a group of tiles, shrink the tiles down with a two-finger pinch, then flick a group upward to select it and name it.

With keyboard and mouse, right click on a tile to select it (to change its size or un-pin it). Right-click on the bottom of the screen to bring up all apps, and right-click an app to pin it. Simply drag a tile to move it to another group.

For further customization, such as customizing logins, start screen colors or designs, setting wifi up, or updating Windows, bring up the charms (flick from the right with touch; win+C with keyboard) and select "settings," then do "change PC settings" at the very bottom.

Additional Tips:

See this excellent discussion thread, courtesy of xdaDevelopers site:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1970464

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2013
  2. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Good idea. There's one on youtube already, but the guys is aiming for 3 minutes so it all sounds a little rushed:
    Learn Windows 8 in 3 minutes (OK, it's really 4) - YouTube

One thing I didn't see mentioned anywhere else is that you can turn off the left swipe app switching, and instead have a left swipe always bring up the app switcher (like an auto-hiding side taskbar really). To find that, go to start, type 'switching', select 'settings', click on the icon 'allow switching between recent apps'. I turned off the option 'when I swipe...' etc.

3. JoeS

Another one: use Winkey-tab to switch between all metro apps. Even if the desktop has twenty programs open, Winkey-tab still sees the desktop as 'one app'.

4. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

Another one...open up a whole new world with Speech Recognition running. You can start apps directly from anywhere, open the menu, switch to any app or application, etc.

5. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Very useful. I've made this change and I much prefer it. Much better for people who have more than two apps open at once, and much easier to put an inactive app into a snapped sidebar this way. The in-then-out bezel gesture was probably the most annoying gesture to use because it wouldn't always register correctly.

6. JoeS

Another nice touch: in the settings charm you can swipe up and down across the brightness and volume control icons to change the settings, i.e. you don't need to tap the icon and then try to hit the slider.

7. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Very useful. I'd been wondering how to adjust the brightness without sliding out the keyboard to use the fn+f5 and f6. I'd just been using hardware buttons for volume.

8. JoeS

Just rediscovered that the touch keyboard allows you to swipe away from many keys to reveal related characters. You don't need to long press. Example: swipe up on the period to type a colon. All available options will be displayed as soon as you swipe. Other example: swipe away from the letter on eight directions to get modified versions of the letter o. Similar to iOS, but without the need to tap and hold (iirc). öh yeah!

And a second one, by accident I noticed that on the start screen, ctrl-tab toggles between the start screen and the apps list

9. JoeS

Just noticed that long press on the task bar shows a 'Task manager' option.

Edit: turns out that this was already possible in Win7.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2013
  10. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

This has developed into a useful thread. We'll pin it for now so that it stays visible...

Last edited: Dec 24, 2012