The ModBook Build Process

Discussion in 'Axiotron Modbook' started by superart, May 15, 2012.

1. JMF0

JMF0 Pen Pal - Newbie

OK this may be obvious but I thought I would post my thoughts on what I think is causing this painfully slow process to get our ModBooks.

Axiotron provides a Kit to OWC in US and Carbon in Canada to create the ModBook. OWC and Carbon take the off the shelf MacBooks, add aftermarket RAM, Hard Drives and do the ModBook "conversion" via the Kit.

This is what I think is the process and since it really is a custom build this takes the OWC techs time to create. Not an excuse for the delays but merely the facts of the process.

BTW - has anyone thought to contact the Owner/President of OWC and ask him/her to post an explanation for the delays and explain the process to give us some degree of comfort in the product?

Jeff

2. iRabbit

iRabbit Pen Pal - Newbie

While OWC is the one that has to assemble the ModBooks they've had a YEAR to figure out how they are going to do that quickly and efficiently. They've had a long time to make plans, train people and hire more hands if necessary. There's been plenty of time for proper training from Axiotron. I don't think the ball falls solely in OWC's court either... this is something that should have been well-thought out months and months ago by both companies.

Even if the answer is "it's taking longer to assemble them than we thought..." how is it possible they are only just figuring that out now? After a year of planning it cannot be news on how long it takes to make each one... after a year of planning it should be an exact science, no?

I'm a reasonable person. I understand the backorder thing and no one really knows how far behind they are. It's a new product and OWC is obviously overwhelmed. What saddens me is the lack of communication... and what frustrates me is the information that does come out, it seems highly variable depending on who you get on the phone. There's no estimates on ship dates, and even if people get them, they seem way off mark. I don't understand how after a year they have so many kinks to work out in the whole process.

Communication with customers is almost always a good thing. The hush hush atmosphere is nothing but discouraging. And I honestly think it's both companys' responsibilities to communicate with us. OWC should be getting us the specifics about our orders. Axiotron should be educating the public on who they are, what they do, how ModBooks are assembled, and backorder information on the kits themselves. They should be working hand-in-hand to provide accurate information to the people buying their product.

They've been accused of offering "vaporware" quite a bit over the last year. I think the reason both companies are so quiet is because, at least in part, they are afraid that they've missed the mark so many times in the last year, it will not be received well by consumers if they now make delivery promises [again] they can't keep.

Problem with that theory is that silence is worse.

3. chrislev

chrislev Pen Pal - Newbie

We are all stupid ****s waiting and waiting for a modbook, just think if we do get one its most likely to have problems because of what we are seeing right now, and the customer service is going to be just like what we've been getting. Didn't i read Axiotron is only been in business for TWO (2) years, talk about growing pains, and bad management. Maybe that extra warranty is a waste of money if nobody is there to fix it. I want one just as bad as anyone!
    With the economy as bad as it is now you would think they would push them out like a 15 pound baby... and get what they can while they can.

4. wallywld

wallywld Pen Pal - Newbie

I can only speak from my own experience, but my system is built like a tank. At least that makes me feel better.

5. superart

superart Pen Pal - Newbie

Wouldn't it be extremely hard, painful, and time consuming to push out a 15 pound baby?