The Miix 700 is Lenovo's Surface killer

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by scoobie, Sep 2, 2015.

1. HDaddict

HDaddict Pen Pal - Newbie

It is possible, but it needs the intervention in the main kernel of Android x86. I'm far from having the skills to find the correct drivers for this.

2. touchfrench

touchfrench Pen Pal - Newbie

Ok thanks

3. bierot

bierot Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm the almost happy owner of a Miix 700 4Gb/128Gb, with Intel Core M5-6Y54. I find that the hover distance is too shallow but, thanks to some useful posts in this thread, I already knew it when I bought the tablet. This makes me write and sketch like I was painting with watercolour, keeping the palm off of the screen, but, although It bothers me a little bit, I think I could live with it.

But what drives me nuts and may make me consider to sell the tablet is that, maybe once or twice every five minutes, the screen stops recognizing the pen. When it happens, I have to tap again once or twice, and it usually registers the tip; but sometimes the only way of recovering its functionality is tapping first with the fingers and subsequently with the pen. It happens with all the applications I use (OneNote, Clip Studio Paint, Drawboard, PDF Annotator,..) and with the two pens I own —the original Lenovo one and the Wacom Smart for AES devices— I've checked the pen batteries and tried to sort it out via software, but I didn't manage to solve it.

Does anyone else experience the same issues? Do you think it may be a hardware problem of my unit?

Thank you very much in advance.

4. Dweam

Dweam Pen Pal - Newbie

Easy solution to your first problem. Buy a glove, cut the the thumb, pointer and middle finger off, and draw with it. I was skeptical about the shallow hover distance screwing with palm rejection, and it does, but wearing a glove solves the problem just fine. I wear a glove when I draw on my non-touch cintiq anyway to keep from smudging the screen up. So, you shouldn't have to worry about drawing with your hand elevated like you are using water colors.

The second problem, I don't have a solution for, but I also have the same problem. I am not sure how or why it happens. But it seems pretty identical to what you are describing, so I don't think your device is defective. Maybe yours does it more frequently than mine, I'm not sure. But pretty much every time I draw on it, it will happen at least once or twice. Like it needs to catch back up, or it just loses its connectivity. Connectivity comes back quick enough so I don't find it all that irritating. It definitely seems like something that should not be happening, or should have been fixed by now, but I don't find it annoying enough to make me regret the purchase, as I still love doodling on this thing.

If it happens so much that you really dislike it, then I'd recommend just buying a surface pro 4 or something. Or if it is happening so constantly that its really interfering with getting anything done, then I'd RMA it because maybe its worse than mine when it comes to this. The only reason I didn't keep my Surface was because of the high pressure point of activation on the pen. I draw super light, and the Miix pen registers at the pressure that feels comfortable to me, so I take the smaller irritations along with the better pen sensitivity.

*edit, I just saw you post saying it happens once or twice every five minutes. That is possibly a defect. I get it like once or twice a half hour. maybe every hour.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
  5. cobson

cobson Pen Pal - Newbie

Have you got the most recent firmware installed ?

6. bierot

bierot Pen Pal - Newbie

Thank you very much for this useful information. I agree with you that the Miix pen is much better than the Surface Pro 4 one. I had this tablet, and also decided to sell it. I prefer the feeling of drawing with the Lenovo's.

I just changed the nib of the pen and found that this issue doesn't happen so frequently, maybe twice or three times per hour. It's better but still annoying for me. It seems like the tablet has too much activity in the background and for this reason it gets less responsive, but I don't know for sure. I will try to disable some apps running in the background a see what happens. If I find that it works I'll let you know.

7. bierot

bierot Pen Pal - Newbie

I think so. In any case I just installed again the TouchPad Elan driver. Now I'll check if things have improved. Do you think there is another driver I should update?

HDaddict likes this.
  8. rebelismo

rebelismo Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey Bierot

I have the same model as you, and I was wondering if you could talk more about this particular issue. When does the stylus stop being recognized specifically? Does it happen when you're switching tasks: going from web browsing while utilizing touch, and then directly to a drawing program? Or does it stop being recognized while you're drawing in lets say Clip Studio Paint? The miix 700 is my second device that has a stylus which needs a battery, but I haven't come across that particular behavior where the Bamboo Smart Pen would stop being recognized 1-2 times every 5 minutes.

Some software can definitely be more cranky at times (like Krita), but I've been using Sketchable, Graphiter, Clip Studio (Manga Studio), and PaintStorm Studio without many issues. Offset can be a problem depending on the software, but that can be easily fixed. This is a bit strange, but I've installed Wintab_x64_1.0.0.20 drivers on my Lenovo P70 and the miix 700 from here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=49498 ,and that usually works better than anything I've ever downloaded from Lenovo.

Having said that, if all the drivers you've been trying don't work then it might be a hardware problem. In general I think that battery based pens are cool, but I've definitely had less issues with Wacom's battery- less technology where it mostly just works :).

9. Obi

Obi Pen Pal - Newbie

Just a warning, I installed this a couple of days ago and it broke pen support in Adobe Illustrator. It would only recognize lines like half the time. Oddly it didn't effect Photoshop. Uninstalling it got everything working again.

rebelismo likes this.
  10. bierot

bierot Pen Pal - Newbie

I cannot recognize any clear pattern of behaviour for this issue. It happens all of the sudden. Sometimes when drawing, sometimes when tapping buttons. I think it may be something related to the nibs I'm using. Last week I replaced the nib because it was really worn-out and now the pen is far more reliable. The fact is that I'm not using the original nibs but the Toshiba's TruPen. Very good for taking notes and sketching because they are less slippery than the original ones. But I suspect that they may be the origin of this problem. Today I sketched for around one hour with the original tip and the issue didn't appear. I have to do more tests, but I suspect that the Toshiba's nibs, although they share the same technology, are not totally compatible with the Miix's panel and stylus. These days I will work only with the Lenovo's original nibs and see what happens.