The Miix 700 is Lenovo's Surface killer

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by scoobie, Sep 2, 2015.

1. kvoram

kvoram Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

No, or rather only at 30Hz at that resolution. Nothing you'd want to do.

No Intel-CPU with iGPU supports native HDMI 2.0. Without HDMI 2.0 or DisplayPort you cannot go over 4K@30Hz. Since the Miix 700 has no DP output of any kind, you are stuck with that. Had Lenovo included a MiniDP port instead of microHDMI, you could have used 4K@60Hz.
    Since Miracast has even lower bandwidth, you can't get it that way either .

2. jjsa1985

jjsa1985 Scribbler - Standard Member

Appreciate the reply. So I guess that means if I want to output my Miix to an external monitor without signing out and back in all the time, the only solution will be to wait for MS to fix scaling in Windows, which is gonna be never it seems. Has anyone tried 1440p on a 24" at 175% scaling?

3. FZelle

FZelle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

4. jjsa1985

jjsa1985 Scribbler - Standard Member

Thanks. I've read those, and I realize it is app dependent, but it still annoys me because I do have win32 programs that don't scale well. And by the way, it's not just third party apps that don't do it well. There are system UI elements that don't scale properly. For example, sometimes the hover over pop up bubbles from elements in the taskbar are different sizes. The maximize, minimize, close squares at the top right corner don't line up properly. Some text is huge while others are the right size.

5. FZelle

FZelle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I know.
    I'm a SW Developer for more then 30 years and the scaling is something the came only a few years ago with "retina" displays and co.
    Before that, more pixel meant bigger screen, so there was no need for scaling.
    But to handle the scaling well you need a complete different architecture for your software and most out there were started way before this.

And look at the outcry when MS started to change the settingsdialog to a scalable one.

And the bubbles are done by the SW Developer, some even have bitmaps they overpaint, some use WPF, some....

The biggest problem of windows is backward compatibility.

6. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

7. NextGadget

NextGadget Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello, All -- long-time lurker and first-time poster here... :)

After some exhaustive research, I've come to the conclusion that the Lenovo Miix has the right mix (no pun intended) of features for me. I wish it had a few more nits of illumination, but everything else considered, I think I can live with the 318 or thereabouts.

Which begs the question -- do any of you have any inkling if the Miix 710 will ever hit the U.S. market -- and if so, when?

The Miix 720 sounds like it's coming out for sure, but I'd rather go fan-less if possible.

Thanks in advance for any clues, whispered Board Room tips, or anything else y'all might have... :)

8. touchfrench

touchfrench Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello everyone,

My device: Lenovo Ideapad Miix 700-12ISK / m7-6Y75 / 8 Go / 256 Go SSD.

I've installed Remix OS in dual boot with Windows 10.

Everything works fine but I've got a major problem, the accelerometer is not detected.
    So screen rotation is not working, I can't play games needing accelerometer support and so on.
    I can get it to work within Windows 10 but no luck when going into Remix OS.

Is there something I can do to fix that, please?

Thanks in advance.

9. HDaddict

HDaddict Pen Pal - Newbie

There is no way to fix that... I contacted the RemixOS support team, the Android x86 developers (which RemixOS is based on) and some individual developers, but I couldn't find any solution for this. So we're left without accelerometer and screen rotation.

This and Bluetooth problems are the 2 issues that are unresolved. Not a big deal to me as I don't play games.
    I just a widget on the home screen to rotate the screen.
    I also installed nova launcher instead of the default launcher.

Also, I read on xda that a miix 700 owner had his cpu overheat because of RemixOS, seems that cpu throttling doesn't work properly, so be careful with heavy games and tasks, and always monitor cpu temperature.
    I didn't encounter this problem and the cpu speed is changing constantly.

10. touchfrench

touchfrench Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks,

So do you think we can't have accelerometer support for now or forever?
    What a pity...