The Miix 700 is Lenovo's Surface killer

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by scoobie, Sep 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tor

Tor Pen Pal - Newbie

No problems on this end, with miix 700 + CSP.
    My only grips are the slippery surface (screen + tip) and the very badly designed pen. I can put up with the slippery barrel and top heavy end, but the fat tip point enclosure really nags me, since i cannot see the tip. Iv shaved some of the plastic with a knife, not pretty, but better.
    Does the wacom smart pen with the white (gripery) tip improves on it?

Last edited: Dec 4, 2016
  2. Dweam

Dweam Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm Wondering if you guys say there is no problem because of differences in how you draw. I draw with very small line work, very fast. Its become obvious to me that the flicks I am seeing are because of a delay in the cursor catching up to where i put it down when smoothing is turned on. When I slow down my hand and get the cursor where i want it in advance, it draws just fine, but I have to change how I draw in order to get it there, where I would not have to with my emr cintiq.

Try making very fast hatch marks with the felt pen tool and see if you get the flicks I am talking about.

As for the pen, I like the bamboo smart the most out of the three I have that work with it. The softer nib that you can change out with it does add a small amount of grip. Not as much as the rubber tipped one for the surface pro 4, but enough to make drawing directly on the slippery glass less of an issue. I don't much care for the lenovo pen that comes with it. I like Dell's active pen better than it.

HDaddict likes this.
  3. Dweam

Dweam Pen Pal - Newbie

Quick update on my use of the miix 700. I had pretty much resigned myself to thinking I wouldn't be able to fix this bit involving flicks of the pen with certain brushes in clip studio, but it looks like I've found at least a near fix. On some brushes there is a post correction option, turning that on at low settings while turning stabilization on to its lowest setting seems to get me lines that feel correct, and removes the added flicks at the start of lines. It isn't a 100% solution, but it makes drawing on it using the brushes that I like all the more enjoyable. Certain brushes worked completely fine even with stabilization on, and I think it had to due with their design to taper at the start and ending of strokes. As opposed to a felt pen brush that doesn't taper at all. So those brushes would sort of skip to where you put the pen down from where the cursor previously was. And once again, I basically confirmed that this had everything to due with Clip studio's interaction with the AES pen, and didn't have anything to do with the device being defective. It just seems to be a very specific interaction that is quite annoying at a software level.... But with this new solution, it pretty much gets as close as I would like it to be.

I also just bought Microsoft's foldable universal keyboard, and it fits perfectly under the Miix while the stand is kicked back to a nice drawing position. Normally I would never use this keyboard for typing as it cuts right down the middle and feels very awkward to touch type on, but I am only using it for the left half so I have access to my normal keyboard hotkeys in CSP. this pretty much negates the need for any clunky, on-screen hotkey programs, or the need to use the normal miix keyboard, or any other cumbersome peripheral to get a full on, excellent drawing experience. It also can be plugged into the device so there is no need for a battery powered keyboard. which is convenient.

So, at this point, my final verdict on the Miix 700. It is a fantastic and decently affordable option for someone who wants a mobile art station that is more mobile than powerful. It can't fully match up to the excellence of a Wacom device. But it gets shockingly close if you know what to tweak. It costs a fraction of the price, and gets a lot more battery life with no noisy fans.

I highly recommend it as an option for hobbyists and potentially for art professionals, but your mileage may vary there.

[​IMG]

kvoram and HDaddict like this.
  4. zendragon

zendragon Scribbler - Standard Member

I bought my Miix 700 a few months ago and figure it's time to give my own review. I got the core M7 version. I also bought the Lenovo pen and a matte screen protector that I put on the day that I got it. My primary use for the Miix is sketching and other art projects.

First, some background on where I am coming from. This is my first Windows tablet with an active pen. I've owned the HTC Flyer that I used for light sketching, and had an HP Omni, which doesn't have a digitizer layer. I've used a bamboo tablet on a friend's pc for some digital art, but I have primarily been a traditional artist, so most of the programs I have are new to me.

When I got the Miix, I loaded the full version of Sketchable and the free versions of Sketchbook and Art Rage, along with Fresh Paint. I had Sketchbook on my Flyer, but that was the Android version, and this version was much different for me. Of those lighter programs, Sketchable was by far my favorite. The brushes are very easy to use and have little to any lag, even at the highest resolution. (Granted, only 300 dpi) In any event, the Miix performed wonderfully, and I had no problems with the Lenovo pen in Sketchable. I never drew straight on the glass, so I can't comment on the difference, but the feel on the matte screen protector gives plenty of tooth feel for my taste.

After getting comfortable with Sketchable, I downloaded CSP in order to work on an art project. I was doing the artwork and box design for a board game my friend had created. I completed all the work at 600 dpi, with my largest canvas being 24x17. Aside from some frustrations with learning a new program, everything went smoothly. I draw with fast hands, and there was very little lag unless I tried to push it to do so.

During my art project I was pleasantly surprised by a couple of things. I had read some of the complaints about the lack of magnetic clip, and the pain of the USB clip blocking one of just 2 ports, but, I love that little clip. When positioned correctly, there is a small hole that faces you as you draw. It functions as a holder for the pen to stick it in without messing with sliding the barrel in. For me, it was as natural to use as just dropping my ink pens in their well. It is incredibly convenient to not have to be looking for where I laid my pen, or to have to slide it in and out of the holder. It also works very well with the kickstand extended to its maximum open position. I also found that when drawing with the Miix at that angle, I very rarely place my palm on the screen, so palm rejection wasn't much of an issue. This may have something to do with my work with charcoal and watercolor, as I tend to keep my hands off of my paper anyway.

Aside from the art programs, the Miix has performed very well for my uses so far. My uses usually aren't that intensive. I have watched a few movies and light browsing, along with some document creation and editing in Word and Excel. I have had a couple of strange crashes when I close the lid and it doesn't want to wake. I have ended up having to do a hard reset just to get it to come back on. I've also had Edge freeze up a couple of times, though I'm not sure if this is just Edge, or the Miix itself getting bogged down. The battery life has been great so far. With my normal use it goes all day without needing a charge. The only time I have needed to charge it was when I was using it more for my last art project.

All in all, I am very happy with my purchase. The only real problems I've had with it are due to my own inexperience with digital art, and not the limitations of the device.

Shogmaster, kvoram, Dweam and 2 others like this.
  5. cobson

cobson Pen Pal - Newbie

According to the last post on this page, you can use the Microsoft Surface Pro 4 wintab driver on the Miix 700:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/forums/v3_1/forumtopicpage/board-id/lt03_en/thread-id/4737/page/5

Last edited: Dec 20, 2016
    HDaddict likes this.
  6. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Hmm. I'll have to try to verify that. That Wintab driver was written for NTrig, not Wacom devices.

7. Dweam

Dweam Pen Pal - Newbie

I just installed it and it does seem to work. When using clip studio, before installation, using the wintab option gave no pressure sensitivity options, after, it works great. Sadly, it still doesn't completely solve my brush problem with clip studio using very fine line line brushes. But it does improve it.

I think my problem actually stems out of two things in CSP. How small the brush is pixel-wise, and how zoomed out I am on a large DPI image. the smoothing seems to make it skip a little from where the cursor just was to where I press it down. Using larger brushes with pressure sensitivity functions don't seem to have this problem at all. but small brushes with no pressure sensitivity options like the milli pen/felt pen do get it. When zoomed out very far on a high DPI image, it seems to have a harder time pinpointing exactly where you want the cursor to be and the smoothing hiccups a bit.

This is reduced significantly using the wintab driver, but it still shows up. However, it basically stops happening if I zoom in a good amount to draw.

Aside from this odd little problem, I enjoy drawing with the Miix more and more.

surfaceproartist and HDaddict like this.
  8. cobson

cobson Pen Pal - Newbie

Could it be working at a high level, maybe translating Windows Ink API calls into Wintab equivalents in some way, without getting involved at the hardware level ? It would be interesting to try it on other tablets that don't have Wacom Feel support.

Now we just need some genius to work out how to sideload the rest of the Feel driver functionality to the Miix...

Last edited: Dec 21, 2016
  9. Dweam

Dweam Pen Pal - Newbie

Quick question for anyone here that might know. I find the track pad on this thing's keyboard to be awful, but I vaguely recall reading somewhere that lenovo made an update that improved it. I find a lot of the lenovo firmware updates from their site to not really do anything when I install them, so I am unsure about what exactly I should be looking for, if such keyboard updates even exist.

10. HDaddict

HDaddict Pen Pal - Newbie

AFAIK the track pad has always been awful and the recent keyboard updates fix the keyboard typos and not the track pad issues. Actually some claim it even made things worse.
    Luckily I never use laptop track pads as I think they're the worse input devices ever and rely on a wireless mouse.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.