The Miix 700 is Lenovo's Surface killer

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by scoobie, Sep 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HDaddict

HDaddict Pen Pal - Newbie

Indeed, it didn't notice the latest KB firmware update.

FINALLY this long awaited fix for the terrible keyboard dropouts was released, making this keyboard actually usable ! There's also a touchpad driver too, which finally gives access to multi-fingers gestures etc...

I actually had to run the FW update twice as the first time it messed up with the touchpad driver, but running it once again fixed it. The update process itself seems to update both KB firmware and the touchpad firmware, and after that you need to install the ELAN touchpad drivers.

2. Jason Hogrefe

Jason Hogrefe Pen Pal - Newbie

Gumdrop Cases has a heavy duty case for Lenovo Miix 700 that also has a built-in Stylus slot:
    http://www.gumdropcases.com/products/droptech-case-for-lenovo-miix-700

HDaddict likes this.
  3. southdunes

southdunes Scribbler - Standard Member

4. Big'Un

Big'Un Pen Pal - Newbie

Thinking about buying a Miix 700 m7. But, I'm a bit confused on the Miix 700 business edition. Is there still a difference in screen brightness and pen support? Am I correct in assuming the model that ends in BUS is the business edition?

5. sonus911

sonus911 Scribbler - Standard Member

Yes, to BUS denoting business edition. Pen support seems to vary from device to device based on what I've seen here and experienced with my very own Miix 700. If you are an avid note taker or artist, I'd probably stay away from the Miix as the pen quality is so spotty from machine to machine. I've tried various pens and my hover distance never goes beyond 1cm or so. This means that palm rejection is terrible making input frustrating. I much prefer official Wacom (old or new school) and nTrig to this Wacom compliant Elan setup that the Miix has.

Big'Un likes this.
  6. Big'Un

Big'Un Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for the info and the advice!

7. Big'Un

Big'Un Pen Pal - Newbie

What about 80QL000CUS? Updated version of business edition?

8. Dweam

Dweam Pen Pal - Newbie

Well, I just bought one of these on Newegg as they were running what looks like as good a deal as I'll see for one with these specifications. I've been contemplating the miix since July, and saw numerous sales come and go and this is a pretty good price cut from what I've run into.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834321177

I plan on using this primarily for web browsing, comic reading and for art/sketching, so I found Sonus warning to artists a bit surprising. I've seen people demonstrating this device with Clip studio and it looks to run great. (I previously owned a surface 4 - M3 model and it ran Clip studio excellently, so this should have no problem).

I've heard and have also confirmed from watching some video demos that the hover distance is bad, thus making palm rejection bad, but that is actually not a concern for me. I use a glove on any tablet device anyway as it eliminates palm rejection issues on any device. I have tested dozens of devices with as many different styli as I could and they all have some notable palm rejection issues when not using a glove. Sooner or later your palm or your fingers make marks you didn't intend, or the cursor flies away from the pen tip on pretty much every device. The surface 4 had great palm rejection and I still constantly had to undo stray marks. It just goes with the territory of touch devices for artists. It is also the reason I don't have a touch enabled Cintiq. It is also one thing I really loved about the Vaio Canvas Z, as it had a button that turned touch off completely, and left only the pen as an input device.

I got to try out one of Lenovo's flip cover 2-1 laptops that use the same model of pen and I found the pen itself to be fantastic. Better than the surface pen for art. Worse than a cintiq pen, but not hugely worse than a Cintiq pen. I did notice the other lenovo devices had really good hover distance for the cursor when using the pen, so I'm a little disappointed that doesn't seem to carry over on the miix 700.

But aside from the lack of hover distance, this seems to be an amazingly affordable option for artists like me, who don't necessarily want to have a full on mobile studio, but do want something that is very responsive for sketching as well as for other general tablet use.

I'll hopefully not be eating my words when I get to try it out myself in a few days.

HDaddict, Big'Un and kvoram like this.
  9. Big'Un

Big'Un Pen Pal - Newbie

Bought one myself last week. I went with the m7 model on Amazon. https://smile.amazon.com/Lenovo-Mii...015GF4VV2/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

I didn't get the pen yet, but so far it's a fantastic device. This is the business edition, so the screen is as bright as the Surface Pro 4 (confirmed by me) and has the realsense 3d camera. I haven't really tested the camera much and definitely not the realsense part. I removed almost all Lenovo apps and updated the drivers directly from Lenovo. Keyboard has been rock solid since day 1, but I did the firmware update anyway. I prefer the keyboard feel over the SP4, just wish it was back-lit.

kvoram, Dweam and HDaddict like this.
  10. Dweam

Dweam Pen Pal - Newbie

Got my Miix 700 in the mail the other day and spent some time messing with it this afternoon. Overall I am quite pleased with it and I like it better than the surface pro 4 that I previously owned. Overall, the surface is probably a better quality product, but this one suits my specific needs much better as using the pen for art is a high priority for me and the surface pen had a notably poor point of activation that made sketching very frustrating.

The pen for the miix has a better point of activation, but it still shares some of the flaws of the NTrig surface pen. Notably that it can cause some flicks of a stroke on the beginning or ending of a line. This seems to be a general problem with AES pens over EMR, so I don't think there is anything that can be done about it. Hopefully another generation will fix this flaw.

As it stands, I Think this device is fantastic for general tablet productivity for me. It is great for writing, sketching, watching videos or reading comics/books with. So, I think I will be keeping it. I'm particularly pleased with how much it does for the price, as this is a lot of computer for the 500 bucks I spent on it.

If it weren't for the small flaw in the pen, I would probably be able to use this device exclusively for finished art without any problems. but as it stands, I would likely just use it for sketching, and layouts.

here's an example of something I did with it today. Note the flicks at the edges of lines. This is much less of a problem with other types of brushes, so if you are more into digital painting, then this device is really fantastic, but for linework that I like to do, it becomes a notable problem for finished work.

http://orig14.deviantart.net/1e81/f...iix_700_drawing_by_ability_normal-daq57pk.jpg

neongolden, kvoram, HDaddict and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.