The Miix 700 is Lenovo's Surface killer

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by scoobie, Sep 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. snootyfox

snootyfox Pen Pal - Newbie

I've been logging some solid hours with the 700 and while it proves capable running PS at pretty high res & pixel count I have been noticing some odd things with the pen.

I am using the Lenovo Active Pen with a part number different to most I see (maybe it's my being in Australia?). Part number is 5T70J33309.

In Photoshop I'll often hold CTRL and click on a part of my illustration so that PS instantly switches to that layer. It makes jumping around my files super easy. But the problem I noticed is when I hover the Active Pen above the screen it looks to be moving and is really inaccurate, so CTRL + Clicking a thin line becomes a rinse and repeat task absolutely killing my workflow.

I've also noticed the curser jumping around a bit (even with the touch screen disabled). Could this be the Pen or something wrong in the screen itself?

Perhaps picking up the new Wacom Bamboo Stylus would fix my issues?

Thanks anyone who can help.

2. bierot

bierot Pen Pal - Newbie

I bought my Miix 700 in Spain, where the keyboard and the pen are included in the bunch, and the part number of my stylus is the same as yours. I don't use PS but CSP, and experience the same inaccuracy of the cursor: when hovering sometimes it may remain up to 2-3mm away from the tip, but once the nib touches de screen the cursor recovers its right position.

I also have the Bamboo Smart Stylus and it is hard for me to see any difference in behaviour. It is difficult to say because everyone has his own preferences, but If you are not happy with the Lenovo Active Pen, I'm afraid your are not going to find any significant improvement with the Wacom one.

3. alextrela182

alextrela182 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

kvoram likes this.
  4. snootyfox

snootyfox Pen Pal - Newbie

That's exactly how mine came too. I had seen some folks here mention the Bamboo or the Toshiba as having better hover so it's a real shame the Bamboo didn't offer you a better experience. I've already ordered the Bamboo so I'll give it a shot before considering a return.

HDaddict likes this.
  5. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Miix 700 with 8GB of RAM is $600~700. Much better deal than Spectre X2 with 4GB of RAM for $450 since you can get Miix 700 with 4GB of RAM for less.

6. bierot

bierot Pen Pal - Newbie

7. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

This would be very interesting fact to find out but I'm betting on Elan again.

8. sonus911

sonus911 Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm shocked they didn't upgrade to USB C and are still using micro-HDMI. While I don't mind HDMI for video, going to USB C would allow for docking.

9. HDaddict

HDaddict Pen Pal - Newbie

Is the Lenovo Companion program working for anyone for updates notification?

I checked the Lenovo website and noticed there's a new BIOS for the Miix 700, fixing chrome crashes. I didn't get a notification through Lenovo Companion. I must mention I deleted all Lenovo related apps to fix the Chrome crashes first.

Apart from a different boot Lenovo logo, I didn't notice any difference really.

10. connman

connman Scribbler - Standard Member

The Lenovo Companion program does not seem to pick up all update notifications. I typically visit the Lenovo support site to check for updates.

Also, for those of us experiencing the missing key stroke issue, Lenovo has posted a fix that seems to work. I downloaded it, and am using the keyboard cover now -- error free.

https://support.lenovo.com/ca/en/solutions/ht501735

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.