The Miix 700 is Lenovo's Surface killer

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by scoobie, Sep 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HDaddict

HDaddict Pen Pal - Newbie

2. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 AKA Hifihedgehog Senior Member

From what I gather from the Spectre x2 thread ( http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/threads/the-hp-spectre-x2-12-2015-discussion-thread.67868/page-60 ), it is just the Elite x2 that is designed to be user serviceable. Now, it is possible to service it, much easier than a Surface ever will, but the placement of cables and components make it much more cumbersome and prone to damage than the Miix 700 or the Elite x2.

3. Kritter

Kritter Pen Pal - Newbie

Thank you for your reply! I'm looking at a Spectre X2 in Amazon for $438 for an M3 version, while the Miix 700 M5 with Pen is $549.99. I'm just looking for performance that is better than my dell venue 11 pro 7140 4GB M-5Y10 with a more reliable pen experience. That said, I've read that both Miix 700 and Spectre X2 uses an Elan panel which limits wacom pen features/drivers? Does this affect the writing experience at all? I don't personally need to change button configurations so as long as the pen has a set erase button that will be fine for me. The keyboard will just be a huge plus for me although it seems the Spectre's is better since it is backlight.

4. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

@Kritter Without the Feel driver, you can't set the button to erase or do anything else. The alternative is to either use the shortcut keys on the keyboard or create a small on-screen dock with your most used shortcuts. Both the Spectre and the Miix should outperform your Dell, but the Miix does significantly better overall.

sonichedgehog360 and HDaddict like this.
  5. Kritter

Kritter Pen Pal - Newbie

I see. So the buttons on the pen do have any set functions? Or does the pen not have any buttons? I am also planning to buy the bamboo smart pen for the Miix 700 and EN8. I know you're review said it was intermittent but might not be a bother to other users. Do you think with just note-taking the bamboo smart pen will be fine for use on the Miix 700? Lastly, I know this is the Miix 700 thread but for the off chance, is there any other tablet within the current price range of the Spectre x2 and Miix 700 that you can recommend with full feel driver support?

I appreciate all the replies guys. Thanks.

6. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The buttons have no function that I can determine. The intermittent behavior that I noticed with the Smart on the Miix was in the AU Ink Workspace. Very rarely, the ink doesn't flow properly, but I think most will never notice it.

I really like the MateBook and Pen, but those will set you back another couple hundered dollars. If you want to go ultra-cheap, the Cube i7 Book works pretty well for $350, though its $50 keyboard is pretty lousy.

sonichedgehog360 likes this.
  7. sonichedgehog360

Not on sale currently, but the m3 Surface Pro 4 offers far better sustained performance than any other fanless Core M tablet on the market ( http://www.notebookcheck.net/Face-O...pectre-x2-12-vs-Huawei-MateBook.172273.0.html ), the most accurate display unit of any tablet PC, and the Surface Pen which has been well-updated the last year and is a personal favorite of mine. It has been $599 on the Microsoft Store with EDU discount twice within the last 30 days.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2016
    surfaceproartist likes this.
  8. Kritter

Kritter Pen Pal - Newbie

I see. I'm guessing the buttons of the bamboo smart will also not offer any functionality either? Then again, erasing shouldn't be an issue as long as the device as a whole is great. I was considering the cube book but I really want something reliable in the long run for updates as well as full usb slot. I think I'll go with the Miix 700.

9. Kritter

Kritter Pen Pal - Newbie

Will the M3 stil provide a better peformance over my old M-5Y10? And the last Surface pen I tried was for the SP3 and I didn't like the feel of writing that much. Is the new pen much better?
    I'm going to Fry's today. Hopefully they have a display product so I can test the device. Thanks for the heads up!

10. sonichedgehog360

I personally find the new Pro 4 pen a night and day improvement over the 1st-gen N-trig (Surface Pro 3) pen and I prefer it over the Wacom pen that my Pro 2 had. I like its tip's actuation in its range of motion as I apply more and less pressure for thicker, broader strokes and lighter, thinner lines. The interchangeable, surface-resistive tips do an amazing job of simulating the drag of real writing instruments. Battery life is also amazing at up to 2 years of use with a battery meter in the Surface app, while the AAAA (quadruple A) batteries are easily obtained and installed, with 4-packs for about $5 on Amazon with Prime!

Last edited: Sep 16, 2016
    surfaceproartist likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.