The Miix 700 is Lenovo's Surface killer

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by scoobie, Sep 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. az1787

az1787 Pen Pal - Newbie

Has your touchpad 3 fingers W10 functions? Mine no, and I don't understend if it is a driver issue.

2. az1787

az1787 Pen Pal - Newbie

For OneNote photos I have many problem. The Miix uses 3D camera that has only 2 megapixel resolution and I can't change rear camera. How to solve this problem?

3. bierot

bierot Scribbler - Standard Member

I tried the touchpad and it didn't do anything when using three fingers. I tried three programs: Clip Studio, PDF Annotator and a Modern UI app to read newspapers, and in neither case the three fingers did anything. Only using one or two fingers worked properly.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2016
  4. connman

connman Scribbler - Standard Member

Pulled the trigger on a new Miix 700 (M7 / 8GB RAM) because I could not pass up the price ($ 699 CAD = $ 540 USD).
    It's being shipped to me now.

I have read about keyboard dropouts. Some keys occasionally not working. Seems like there is a vocal minority at Lenovo forums complaining about this, and the fact that Lenovo is not fixing it. (The latter unfortunately doesn't surprise me).

Is this a real issue that people here are experiencing?

5. jjsa1985

jjsa1985 Scribbler - Standard Member

There is a new touchpad driver on Lenovo's support page. I haven't used the touchpad and keyboard extensively after this, but my initial impression was the keyboard dropped less keys after it. Don't know if that makes any sense, because what would the touchpad have to do with the keyboard? So may be I'm just being hopeful.

HDaddict likes this.
  6. HDaddict

HDaddict Pen Pal - Newbie

I installed the touchpad driver, but couldn't notice any real difference, also it didn't install any software AFAIK to add gestures to the touchpad or other features.

Oh man, this device has so many quality control flaws, I'll post them after more intensive testing.

7. runny

runny Pen Pal - Newbie

I have a question about the 3D-Camera. Are there already useful apps / software to use the camera? I found itSeez3D Scanner so far, but in the free version it is very limited and can only be used for Scanning of People.
    Any suggestions?

8. Kritter

Kritter Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi all. I would like to ask Miix 700 owners if you can still recommend the device despite the amount of new products coming out in the next few months. Right now, I'm debating between this and the HP Spectre X2. I'm leaning more towards the miix 700 because of the usb ports but I am also interested with the upcoming Yoga Book. I will be using it primarily for note-taking and ebook viewing so nothing heavy. I think the prices right now in Amazon are a steal for pen and keyboard and considering the newer devices that will come out will be much more expensive.

A couple of questions too is what is the actual aspect ratio of the device? I've seen some say 3:2 and in lenovo's website they have it at 16:9? Coming off a dell venue 11 pro 7140, I'd want to have more of a vertical space when taking notes. And does the battery last at least 6hrs?

Last edited: Sep 15, 2016
  9. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 AKA Hifihedgehog Senior Member

It depends entirely on what exactly you are after because price, performance and features vary widely between the Miix 700 and Spectre X2. If you want a slighted smaller design with extra USB ports, easy upgrading of the internal hardware, and a bright, clear display all at a lower price, go with the Mixx. If you want better peak and sustained performance and don't mind the added weight and price, the Spectre X2 is better. I have only used the Miix 700 hands-on so I cannot say how the Spectre handles in real life. One other small gripe I had with the Miix 700 was its keyboard keys are very slightly mushy, so I could not type as most other keyboards. Overall, it wasn't that bad, but a Surface type cover is obviously a far superior typing experience.

10. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Senior Member

I thought the Spectre X2 was serviceable/upgradeable?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.