The Miix 700 is Lenovo's Surface killer

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by scoobie, Sep 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Yes, the nibs on the Smart are compatible with the Lenovo pen for Miix. The only AES replacement tips I've found so far are from Toshiba (PA5261U-1ETS) and are sold via CDW in the U.S.

2. bierot

bierot Scribbler - Standard Member

I didn't find any US retailer shipping Toshiba spare nibs to Spain. The only replacement nibs I've found that can be shipped to Europe come from New Zealand for 30 euros the pack of five at

http://www.fishpond.com/Health/Toshiba-Trupen-Replacement-Tips/0889661129516

Since they are quite expensive, I would be very grateful if you could double check that the Toshiba spare tips work with the Lenovo Active Pen for the Miix 700, because I've seen that the shape of the Toshiba's is different than Lenovo's and the Bamboo's (see attached images).

Thank you again

Nibs Trupen 03c.jpg Nibs Lenovo Active Pen 01c.jpg Nibs Bamboo Smart 01c.jpg

Last edited: Aug 29, 2016
  3. JazzJackRabbit

JazzJackRabbit Pen Pal - Newbie

Went to Microcenter again, was hoping to check their Miix 700 again, but they sold their last display model a few days ago. Instead I checked out Acer Aspire Switch 12 Alpha (boy that's a mouthful). The acer is heavier, but more solidly built, and more compact, it was an i7 model, didn't have any lag that I experienced with Miix 700, and what's more surprising the Acer keyboard tramped Lenovo one hands down. The lenovo keyboards have a certain reputation, and it was really surprising to see that Acer had a better keyboard. Lenovo keyboard has a hollow sound to it when you type, almost echoing, the acer one is much more hush, the Acer keyboard also had less bounce, and zero missed keystrokes when I tried it. I'm almost tempted to sell the Miix 700 and pick up Acer, but short battery life and non replaceable battery scare me. Plus Acer has a bit of a funky design to it.

4. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

@bierot, the Toshiba TruPen and Lenovo Active Pen tips are absolutely interchangeable.

5. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

If you are looking for a better keyboard device than Miix 700, I would go straight to HP Pavilion X2 12 Core M. It's KB and laptop configuration beats all the detachable 2 in 1s except for SurfaceBook. Bonus is the use of AES pen. It's only $450 at MS store IIRC.

6. zendragon

zendragon Scribbler - Standard Member

Thank you! That was very helpful. I went ahead and ordered the Lenovo pen. Also, got what looks like a great deal on the M7 version of the Miix on Amazon, only 599 right now from a couple sellers, which made the warranty $30 cheaper too.

7. az1787

az1787 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello. My new Lenovo has this problem at keyboard (). Is it normal?
    Besides what about touchpad? I cannot use 3 finghers in it for W10 shortcuts. Why? A driver can solve it?

8. Newcron

Newcron Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm not sure what problem it is that you're showing. The keyboard can be used in both positions.

9. az1787

az1787 Pen Pal - Newbie

The keyboard magnetic can't mantain easily the position, like in the video.

10. bierot

bierot Scribbler - Standard Member

In my Miix 700 the magnets are not too powerful, but they are strong enough to keep the keyboard in the upper position without problem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.