The Miix 700 is Lenovo's Surface killer

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by scoobie, Sep 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JazzJackRabbit

JazzJackRabbit Pen Pal - Newbie

Well, this is getting super frustrating. I now think the problem is not with touchscreen, but with general slowness of the tablet, it's either momentarily throttling itself, power limiting, or there is some crappy driver slowing things down.

At first I thought it might have been firefox, but now I've seen some pages lag in chrome too. For example if I open the following page in chrome http://www.notebookcheck.net/Acer-A...SA5-271-56HM-Convertible-Review.167947.0.html and start scrolling it, my Miix 700 starts bogging down scrolling through certain pictures and tables. If I open task manager I see CPU going full speed when I try to scroll through those sections of the page. I called Adorama if they can exchange the tablet and they won't do it unless I get manufacturer to admit that there is something wrong with the tablet... Super frustrating.

Can anybody open that review in chrome and see if you can scroll through the entire review without your Miix slowing down?

2. Newcron

Newcron Pen Pal - Newbie

I have zero problem with that page. It loads up completely in about 5 seconds, and after that I can scroll all the way down and back up and go back and forth in a zip.

Maybe you're experiencing on of those CPU utilization bugs in Windows 10, that's completely unrelated with the machine itself. I've seen this myself on a friend's computer. There are tons of posts about it if you do a Google search. Good luck.

3. HDaddict

HDaddict Pen Pal - Newbie

Now at least I know it's not only my keyboard doing this.. if it's of any comfort LOL

On my device using Chrome it works perfectly. The webpage loads in a few seconds, and I have no problems whatsoever to scroll it.
    I recommend uninstalling all Lenovo apps like I did especially Mcafee antivirus (except Lenovo companion), make the Windows 10 Anniversary update. You can also try using Chrome without any extension.
    If you want I can make a video of the scrolling so you can compare it with yours.

4. JazzJackRabbit

Mine is a fresh install. Straight from official Windows 10 ISO. Zero bloatware installed. I'll make a video for sure once I get home from work today to show the exact problem I am facing. I was hoping to avoid it, but it's unavoidable.

After I make the video I will try to reinstall windows one last time, this time disabling automatic driver installation and trying to install drivers one by one manually to see if one of them is the problem. If that doesn't help I may ask one of you to post a video similar to mine and then I guess I'll be calling Lenovo.

HDaddict likes this.
  5. jjsa1985

jjsa1985 Scribbler - Standard Member

If you did a clean install, I would highly recommend installing all the drivers that are on Lenovo's support page. It may be a graphics driver or something which got a generic driver with your clean install. Just a thought. You may have already done that, but if you haven't, I would start there. Beats having to clean install again.

HDaddict likes this.
  6. JazzJackRabbit

I have tried all of that, I have tried drivers from Lenovo Page, and drivers directly from Intel (Video, Wifi/Bluetooth).

I have uploaded a video on youtube, for whatever reason youtube decided to autoconvert it to 360p? It is difficult to see it from the video, this is something that is better experienced first person, but hopefully you'll be able to see what I'm talking about.

HDaddict likes this.
  7. HDaddict

HDaddict Pen Pal - Newbie

Well, I tried reproducing scrolling issue you mention, but I'm not sure it's the same. I sometimes feel it's not the smoothest thing, but it's more a matter of missed touch input more than a slowdown, I notice that some scrolling input doesn't get detect properly, but nothing consistent or bothersome.
    The part where the webpage slows down in your video (the black screens) runs smoothly on my device.
    Besides, why would you scroll that fast on a webpage ? :)

What scaling is everyone using on Windows? Anyone using higher than 150%? I have the feeling text is too small on 150%.

8. zendragon

zendragon Scribbler - Standard Member

@surfaceproartist Have you tried the matebook pen on the miix after all the recent updates? I liked the matebook pen when I tested it at the MS store, but I hated the keyboard of the matebook. I'm hoping it will be a workable option for the Miix 700. I like harder tips than softer personally, and rechargeable pen appeals to me.

9. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

@zendragon I created my Active ES pen interoperability chart after the release of the Windows 10 Anniversary Update and made sure to install all available device updates. Unfortunately, the MatePen runs only intermittently on the Miix. Using the Ink Workspace's Sketchpad app, you'll regularly get interrupted or half-drawn strokes.

The best alternative pen for the Miix is the Toshiba dynaPad TruPen. I rated the Wacom Bamboo Smart for select tablets and 2-in-1s as intermittent because I have seen occasional stroke aberrations, but those are very rare. I think that pen would be acceptable to most users.

You can find my test results here: http://surfaceproartist.com/blog/2016/8/16/ultimate-active-es-pen-compatibility-chart

Big'Un likes this.
  10. bierot

bierot Scribbler - Standard Member

Thank you very much SPA for your interesting article about pen compatibility. Dou you know if the Bamboo Smart pen nibs are compatible with Lenovo Active Pen's for Miix 700. And, in case the answer is yes, dou you know where it is possible to get spare soft nibs for Bamboo Smart?

Thank you again

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.