The Miix 700 is Lenovo's Surface killer

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by scoobie, Sep 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Chrome was ass for me until I did fresh windows install.

2. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

After the Anniversary Update is installed, Edge is very functional.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HDaddict likes this.
  3. HDaddict

HDaddict Pen Pal - Newbie

This is totally unacceptable.
    Before I do s fresh install, I still want to try and fix this by updating windows, deleting all lenovo bloatware and update drivers.
    Is there a lenovo application that detects new drivers?

4. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Lenovo has a system update utility.

HDaddict likes this.
  5. HDaddict

An update on Chrome:
    I managed to fix the terrible crashes by upgrading Windows to Anniversary update and uninstall all Lenovo programs, except Lenovo Companion, which should be useful to update drivers.

I don't know if it is something related to Windows or a Lenovo software, but this way I fixed it without the need to do a fresh install. Now it is working flawlessly with all extensions enabled.

surfaceproartist likes this.
  6. HDaddict

@JazzJackRabbit
    Did you fix the scrolling issue on Firefox? I noticed a similar behavior sometimes on Chrome on a few websites, but it was some quite random.
    If you want, I noticed that my device has a DRIVERS folder in C: drive with all stock drivers needed. If you want I can upload them somewhere for you to test it.

Regarding the keyboard, as everyone said it tends to miss letters sometimes, but what is bothering me is that the keys on the left side of the keyboard (like a,s,d,q,w,e,r) tend to get stuck sometimes and make a weird clicking sound. after a few strokes and pressing they get back in place with normal pressing sound. This doesn't happen when the keyboard is laid flat. Anyone noticed this?

7. JazzJackRabbit

JazzJackRabbit Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for the offer, but I don't need the DRIVERS folder as I saved it before I blew everything away for complete reinstall. I just wish I didn't blow away the special lenovo recovery partition.

I did not really solve the firefox scrolling issue which is really frustrating as I don't understand what the issue is. Edge and Chrome work perfectly fine on Miix700, but not firefox. You'd think it's a firefox issue, but firefox works noticeably better on my Dell Venue 11 Pro 7140. Not sure what to think. I'll try to upload youtube video showing firefox scrolling when I have some time.

Mine does exactly the same thing, most noticeably around letter "e". It only happens when the keyboard is in the tilted position and if I press the keys harder than usual, which I kind of have to do now because I don't want to miss key strokes. It feels as if someone spilled a drink over the keyboard and the keys are now sticky. I actually stopped by local Microcenter when I was in the area, they had 4GB Miix700 on display and the keyboard also the same thing, except the Microcenter one was around letter "o". I think it's just the crappy manufacturing/design, you'll just have to live with it or send it back.

HDaddict likes this.
  8. bierot

bierot Scribbler - Standard Member

Yesterday I got a Miix 700 m5 4Gb 128Gb unit. The fist impressions are quite positive. I just installed Windows 10 Anniversary and I'm now updating some drivers. In general it works fine, specially the pen. I feel much more comfortable writing with its Thinkpad Active Pen than with the NTrig of my m3 Surface Pro 4.

Nevertheless IMO it has two things to improve. The first one is its extremely shallow hover distance, around 6-7 mm. I changed its AAAA battery and things did not improve, even, sometimes, the screen does not recognize the pen and you have two insist in order to activate it. According to what I've read in this thread, I'm afraid that the only way of solving it is changing the device.

The second issue is its glass-like writing experience. It doesn't bother too much to me because I'm confident that it can be solved with a matte screen protector and a softer nib. But I didn't find spare nibs for the pen; it seems that the only way of getting some is buying the GX80K32882 bundle that comes with three replacing nibs. Am I right? I've also seen that the Wacom Smart ones are quite similar. Does anyone know if they can be used for the Lenovo Active Pen?

Another possibility could be to buy a Toshiba Dynapad Trupen but I don't know if there are soft spare nibs available for this stylus. Does anyone have additional information about it?

Thank you very much in advance.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2016
  9. jjsa1985

jjsa1985 Scribbler - Standard Member

A matte screen protector definitely helps with the writing feel. I got one from klear cut from Amazon. It was a little difficult to apply because it is quite big, you have to line it up perfectly otherwise it will go over the edges on one side, which is what happened to me, but not a huge deal. The writing experience with it is close to pen on paper. I have the gx pen with extra nibs but they are all the same hardness from what I can tell. But with the matte sp is not a problem.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2016
  10. bierot

bierot Scribbler - Standard Member

Thank you very much for your information. I ordered the Slabo matte screen protector from Germany (US retailers usually don't deliver to Europe and, when they do, products usually become quite expensive due to their shipping and import fees). I hope the screen protector I ordered will be also suitable.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.